1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Stone doesnt seem to be stupid. Silas is questionable, but maybe he has directives beyond winning.

Theres no way that theres not someone in an important role in the organization who isnt banging the table for a pg replacement.

I refuse to believe theres that many dopes on staff.

Unless kpj has some major turning point in his game this year, i expect the team will be looking for a pg replacement this off season when they start actually trying to win games.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Im still shocked the Kings traded him..

Easy likes this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys drastically underrate KPJ on the defensive end. And, the upside that still resides there. Having Kevin guarding PG's is a sweet advantage. This kid actually has it in him to be a leader...believe to or not...I know I know...this may same crazy to some. But, he's transforming before our eyes. It's just a little less noticeable as he' being crammed into "pure" PG duty right now, until Sengun is ready. School's been in Session for these guys.

PatBev likes this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he's a 6th man. hopefully he can accept that role in the future. he is not a starting PG. Nix operated the offense way better than him the other night against the pelicans.

AroundTheWorld and King1 like this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's been awful on defense this year. Don't you wonder why 99% of the board knows that he belongs as a 6th man while a select few of his legion of fans keep making excuses for him? No team will ever win with him starting let alone at pg

AroundTheWorld, clutchdabear and Bo6 like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think one of the question is that if KPJ is taken off PG duty, is he an efficient scorer? I have my doubts about his efficiency because he has suspect finishing around the rim and likes to take really difficult shots.

clutchdabear, King1 and AlperenSengun like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Decision making is still his problem no matter what position he plays. IQ is important for any player to succeed. But if he's not expected to initiate the offense and play more off ball, he can be a good catch and shoot guy with the ability to blow past closing out defender with pump fake. This has been what I see with the KPJ situation. If the Rockets really want to help him succeed, they should get him to play to his strength, not his weakness.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Exactly what has KPJ done to instill such blind confidence that he is leader material? And no, "transforming before our eyes" doesn't count for diddly squat when you were known for being a head case as it was either get his crap together or be out of the NBA. Because he practices during the offseason and is a gym rat? Yeah, he's supposed to do that, especially when he is in need of as much improvement as he is. KPJ has literally done nothing his entire career to suggest he is a leader and everything to reinforce he is not the one to lead the troops.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is too early to say anything statistically this year but the catch and shoot 3pt %(less attempts) and ft %(more attempts) are the two things that improved. His ts % is the same, so that basically means he is taking even worse shots other than the two categories above. He moved the ball at an acceptable rate for a total of two games, the rest of the games were horrible. By moving the ball, I am not talking about assists, I mean not holding on to the ball. The games he moved the ball well were also the games he created for others well, totaling 10 and 11 assists. That is in his best interest but for some reason he is extremely reluctant to do it. Other than that, I think his defense is worse, turnovers are way too high and he is not focused generally.

I don't know how someone can call KPJ a leader, I would say he is the opposite of a leader. Leaders are focused regardless of the situation, leaders don't sulk, don't quit playing when things don't go their way. Leaders set example by their attitude and decision making.

duluth111222, King1 and clutchdabear like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Save your sanctimonious psychobabble. Think not to lecture us with these simple conventional strokes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. maj21

maj21 Member

His name is Alperen Sengun. You know he can’t be taken seriously bc there’s only one reason he’s here

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

At least I can tell why I don't see a leader in him. Maybe you can tell what led you to think that he has a leader in him. It will sound crazy to almost all, not just some.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He is a great catch and shoot player, its perhaps the best thing that he does, he just doesnt do it because he has pg duties.

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thats not the argument at all, did you hurt yourself making that stretch.

The thing that needs to learned is being a NBA player all together and has nothing to do with being a traditional pg, did you hurt yourself trying to make since with this.

He has played less than 200 NBA games, that's not even 2 full seasons.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we are basing arguments on 1 game now?

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stone just gave KPJ an extension do you think he did that not knowing if he thought a replacement was needed?

Sometimes you all need a little common sense.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pffft u need context about the extension

The Houston Rockets on Monday announced their contract extension with starting point guard Kevin Porter Jr., which reportedly is worth up to $82.5 million over four years. Only $15.9 million over the first season of the deal, which kicks in with the NBA’s 2023-24 campaign, is fully guaranteed.

Stone is not completely sold on KPJ, and is willing to pivot + scrap the KPJ point guard experiment if needed.

King1 likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

KPJ is developing fine - he is going to have good days and bad days - fans here though, SHEESH....I thought that I was reactionary, but this place is beyond reactionary.

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You still have yet to enlighten us on how KPJ has demonstrated "leadership quality" at any point in his career, let alone to the degree that instills such blind devotion and constant excuse making for him.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Because he hasn't thrown anything ?