1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Crane had a strong interest in baseball before he ever owned the Astros.

Luhnow also kept Crane involved in negotiations, etc and over time that has only increased.

Crane hasn’t always been as involved as he has become.

Having said that, I don’t think Crane is Jerry Jones or intends to be.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Goldstein would be a terrible GM and he would admit it too. He doesn’t have the structure or work ethic to do it. He also wouldn’t want to be away from his spouse and dogs that long.

I think Mejdal would probably be good.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Why James Click and the Houston Astros parted ways
    There are really only two parallels to the Click-Astros situation, and both date back decades.

During the turbulent 1970s years of George Steinbrenner’s operation of the Yankees, minority owner Gabe Paul agreed to assume the reins as general manager. That was prior to the 1974 season. Inevitably, though, Steinbrenner’s tinkering and/or interference wore on Paul.

The final straw was Steinbrenner’s appointment following New York’s 1977 World Series win over the Dodgers of Al Rosen to a position titled, “senior executive.” Paul read that as an encroachment on his authority, and resigned.

Back in 1947, Larry MacPhail led the Yankees to a World Series victory over the Brooklyn Dodgers. But MacPhail’s abrasive, boisterous and often boorish style — which had grated on the far more refined Yankee co-owners Dan Topping and Del Webb for two years — finally prompted them to buy out MacPhail’s contract. The final straw in that relationship apparently was a drunken, profanity-laced dispute during the team’s World Series victory party.

https://calltothepen.com/2022/11/12/james-click-houston-astros-split/

5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much.

raining threes likes this.
  6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Steve Patterson was the Rockets GM but fired because of accusing Hakeem Olajuwon of faking a Injury
    Les Alexander became the new Owner
    The 1993-94, 1994-95 Championship Roster was Steve Patterson maybe he got a ring, Patterson also won a Championship with the Seattle Seahawks

Father of Patterson was GM of Drafting Hakeem Olajuwon

Rejected a Deal with the Blazers of 1984 - 2nd Pick (Michael Jordan) and Clyde Drexler for Ralph Sampson

Michael Jordan
    Clyde Drexler
    Hakeem Olajuwon

That Trio Would've Won 8 Championships

Jeff Luhnow 2015- 2022 Astros Roster is still his.

13 in 33 likes this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Except Crane has produced the best teams in Houston history over the last 8 years across 2 GMs, 2 managers, and a revolving door of players.

There is no evidence that Click was a great GM other than getting about 50 percent of his pitching acquisitions correct. He has yet to bring in a bat that has contributed in any significant way in the last 3 seasons.

arkoe and raining threes like this.
  8. astroa89

astroa89 Member

What part of best Astros team in history this year are we not understanding that does not happen without Clicks contributions as GM for the time he was here. Some of y'all on this site are some of the most nitpicky and hypercritical fans I've ever heard about. Armchair GMs at best. You could have a perfect woman standing right in front of you and still find something wrong about her.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  9. raining threes

Crane doesn't think like you do.

I'm very thankful Crane owns the Stros.

He makes decisive decisions quickly and doesn't look back.

10. astroa89

astroa89 Member

You're right we aren't the same he's on his third wife and so far I've only had one. ;)

11. raining threes

And why do you care about this?

I like win at all cost owners and risk takers/

12. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Seriously I hope you are right because it is a pretty unprecedented move to fire people in your front office right after winning a title. Other times this has happened in sports dynasties it has backfired i.e. 90s Cowboys so I do hope that they continue to succeed.

13. raining threes

You must not have heard of the Steinbrenner/Martin/Several different GM years.

I would feel differently had Click built this team.

14. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Oh I'm familiar with Steinbrenner I don't want the Astros to ever turn into the Yankees living off past glory all the time blaming other teams for their shortcomings.

15. raining threes

The Yankees didn't until Steinbrenner got old and stopped running day to day operations. They were dominant back then. Kinda like the Stros currently are with Crane running the Stros.

16. astroa89

astroa89 Member

I thought Steinbrenner pretty much ran most of the ops until the last time they were in WS in 09 if I'm not mistaken?

raining threes likes this.
  17. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I suspect the decision to let Click go was made sometime during the season but that Crane showed patience and restraint in waiting till after the series.

rockbox likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm sure Crane was done with him after the trade deadline. We lucked out that our pitchers all got hot at the same time because our offense was pretty mediocre even in the playoffs.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There was nothing “lucky” about the pitching all getting hot at the same time.

The pitching was solid all season. Maybe JV coming back the first year after TJ and pitching better than anybody else in the league was some “luck”, but the rest of it was fairly legit.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

1993-1994 roster Patterson can get credit for and deserves a ring, the 2nd championship Les pushed for getting Drexler (obviously most of team still there), but w/o that Drexler move at deadline, Rockets don't repeat.

Is that what you meant? I definitely agree with you on Les basically buying a championship ready team, and Patterson also getting screwed on a ring.

Also, I think if that deal happened (Sampson for Jordan and Drexler), the entire NBA would have been different. I had heard about that deal, and it probably would have still been better for Portland over taking Bowie.