1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Nov 11, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm dead serious too, lol. Re-Hire Luhnow. Everyone hates us anyway, unless Manfred's b**** ass would explicitly prohibit it. **** it why not.

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think the one year offer was an opportunity for Click to try and redeem himself. He obviously did not agree that redemption was needed.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Click was a good GM who didn’t mesh with his owner. It happens. I think both parties overplayed their hand and thus will be worse for it; Click going public with the issue will give other teams pause about hiring him, while Crane firing a GM who presided over a World Series winner will make talented potential GMs think twice about working for him. Lose-lose. Given that situation it actually might make sense to bring back Luhnow depending on how bad that blood ended being. But more likely Crane promotes someone from within.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, I didnt see this coming. Or more like, I didnt give enough weight to those rumors.
    Its done. A couple thoughts come to mind.

1) Another situation where we bring in a new GM and his head coach is already chosen for him?
    Good thing? Bad thing?

2) Unless there is something still hidden regarding Crane and Click, this seems off somehow to me.
    Maybe personal stuff between them?
    Too wide a bap in their view of the future?
    Just didnt like each other?

The deal the Astros offered comes across as one they knew he wouldn't accept.
    So they really DIDNT want him back.

3) Is Dusty good or sour on this? Really.

6. Qan

Qan Member

Well if you see Luhnow suddenly dropping his lawsuit... start celebrating? Lmao

7. the shark

the shark Member

"He built this pen"?

He built part of it. Pressly and Abreu are from Luhnow. He added Neris, Stanek and Montero and he should definitely get his due credit for doing so.

arabrocket and everyday eddie like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hopefully, the Astros get another GM that can keep this team together. Next three years look to be great as long as team focuses on keeping players it can, sign free agents, and make trades with whatever non-elite prospects other teams want.

Or whatever it takes to win.

#48 Joe Joe, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Nook and IBTL like this.
  9. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Lawsuit was dismissed a long time ago

lnchan likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

as long as Crane doesn't Jerry Jones it, I'm ok with letting Click go. Hire LUHNOW baby.

11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He also did extend Pressly. Neris and Monteo we're absolutely huge in the postseason along with the regular season. I know he didn't get rid of every player that was here but he kept the good ones got rid of the bad ones and replaced them with his guys.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate what Click did for the team. I think most people that make it to that level probably have something of an ego, and it would take some effort to recognize that the best thing he could do was make small moves and shore up the weaknesses on a team that had few of them. That's what Click did. Would he have been the best GM for this team long term when our championship window finally starts closing? I have no idea. And it will be a while longer yet before we even know if he was any good at drafting. But he presided over this team during some incredible success, even if the foundation of that wasn't his, and that's worth something.

Thanks, James! Good luck in your next endeavor!

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Bingo... I don't think people understand how annoyed Crane was with Click. The one year contract offer after winning the World Series tells you everything you need to know.

Nook and Rileydog like this.
  14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Oooohhhhh Yankee fan. Lol

Bregatron, BigM, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And in the end, they fired him after he aired his grievances in public.

Crane is a master manipulator and pulls no punches. We saw it first-hand in the Correa negotiations. Certainly saw it after the scandal went down and he terminated both of them.

BigM likes this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Click will get another job pretty quick.

Nook likes this.
  17. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Yankees, always tryna steal our leftovers.

o_O:p

18. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Peace bruh

Nook likes this.
  19. mightybosstone

I don't love how this has gone down over the last week. It's a bad look for a franchise that was finally in the news for all the right reasons. That being said, good PR means nothing if you're not winning, so I'll trust that Crane has a version for this franchise moving forward that he can back up. If he was that nonchalant with letting go of his World Series-winning GM, then he must have a plan in place for when Click inevitably left. I look forward to seeing how it plays out, and it needs to happen quickly.

Still really excited about the offseason (and obviously the incredible team overall), but it kind of puts a sour taste in your mouth a week after winning a championship, which is kind of a bummer.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t love this. It feels like some continuity after winning a World Series would be a good thing. Click did a good job, and I’ll be forever grateful for that bullpen! He’ll have another gig just about as soon as he wants one.