1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Now we have 2 years to get our act together......the big question is can we please find someone to get behind, I really prefer Joe not to run but I have no clue who would pick up the mantle.......Newsom? The Dems need to listen to the voters and there should be a push for inflation and crime and border issues. I would like to see some bipartisan support but I dont know if the R`s will want to do anything, they will be looking to use these topics in 2 years all over again. I think so much will be determined by what trump says next week, if he does run I think its an easier path but if its Desantis runs I think he would win, hes the new darling of the gop, IMO a slicker version of trump who would not make the same mistakes trump did

Reeko likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are we going to blame the left for this one?

subtomic likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

It's very possible that at the end of the day, Dems trying to gerrymander NY too much will have cost them House. Crazy that's even possible in a Dem-Presidency midterm where GOP gerrymandering outpaced Dems and people are unhappy. GOP really is becoming a minority party governing through structural advantages. I'll be curious what the final tally is for votes for Dems vs GOPers in House races across the country.

4. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Laxalt in Nevada may pick up that seat soon. That makes it 50 for the GOP. The money and the drama show in Georgia this coming December will be crazy.

basso and King1 like this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Was good watching Beta and Abrams lose.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

King1 likes this.
  7. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Hindsight tells you the Dems made serious mistakes spending all that money on Beto and Abrams. They could have flipped or retained seats elsewhere if they didn’t bet on these two losers.

King1, Pringles and basso like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I would be shocked if Trump set aside his ego and didn't run...if Trump isn't running in 2024, I think he's likely either dead or about to die, or in jail or on the verge of getting locked up

Dems have a very thin bench...Pete Buttigieg has been the name getting the most buzz these past 2 years, but can he get high minority turnout?

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

It was a genuine question. Even though, I'd prefer Texas to become left leaning - I'm not sure that'll happen in the first half of the 2020's or the rest of the decade.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Same with the GOP thinking they could win Colorado, Washington, etc.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What are the analysts saying about NV?

12. justtxyank

Yeah, weird to mock the Dems on this when the "red wave" "60 seat pickup" bullshit crashed and burned last night with millions wasted by the GOP to try to flip seats they had no shot in.

Every election is full of "could of should of would of" arguments, but I don't think Democrats are going to be the ones lamenting the "what could have been" after this one.

Nook likes this.
  13. cdastros

cdastros Member

14. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Historically, candidates who have lost 3 or more major elections are permanantly tainted as "losers." I don't think that's fair, but statistically, Beto has no chance of ever winning a statewide office in Texas. It's time for him to move on.

Regarding finding the right candidate to run against ruz, Texas and Florida have also had a huge influx of new residents over the past 10 years, and many of them are more conservative than the "natives." Going back to the Texas Senate race in 2018, Beto actually won the vote of native Texans but lost the vote of newer residents. Combine that with the significant amount of gerrymandering, and both states are now significantly weighted toward the GOP. I'm not sure there's a Democrat candidate who can overcome that.

Xerobull, Pringles and ROCKSS like this.
  15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I do like Pete, after watching him interview with several outlets he is very good at keeping his cool and is very articulate. The maga weirdos would use his sexuality against him at some point but that's what the maga cult does anyway.

16. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone knows. Here's the expert on NV elections:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports

The question seems to be how many drop-off ballots are outstanding and how many mail ballots will still arrive (they are accepted for 4 more days as long as postmarked by yesterday). If there's enough, could be good for CCM. Not sure about Sisolak though.

Seems Dem turnout on election day was way down relative to the GOP so the hope is these people mailed ballots in or dropped them off.

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Those people bring in money and downticket votes.

DonnyMost likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is a very good point.

Abortion, for the longest time, was a "backstop" issue for Republicans.

It wasn't their #1 issue, but it was a litmus test/dealbreaker.

That shoe being on the other foot now is a totally new phenomenon and we may see more weird outcomes like this because of it.

19. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Abrams maybe but I’m not so sure about Beto. I believe the Dems threw an enormous amount of money on these two.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. justtxyank

Quick reading is that the senate race is one where it's truly unknown, but the governor's race is "too close to call" but probably going R.

Major likes this.