1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. maj21

maj21 Member

The point I was making is that the things Jabari would’ve flashed in workouts, would’ve had us sold 100% at pick 3. The shooting and lateral quickness

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

NBA players that had a father play in the league have a ridiculously good track record. If Jabari's ceiling topped out at elite college player, but not good enough for the NBA it would be a fairly rare occurrence. Current players with NBA dads:

Cole Anthony
    Bol Bol
    Devin Booker
    Jalen Brunson
    Nic Claxton
    Amir Coffey
    Jae Crowder
    Steph Curry
    Seth Curry
    Darius Garland
    Jerami Grant
    Tim Hardaway Jr
    Al Horford
    Jaren Jackson Jr
    Kevin Love
    Kenyon Martin Jr
    Larry Nance Jr
    Gary Payton II
    Scottie Pippen Jr
    Austin Rivers
    Domantis Sabonis
    Jabari Smith Jr
    Klay Thompson
    Gary Trent Jr
    Andrew Wiggins
    Justise Winslow

#2922 MrButtocks, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari's problem is all in his attitude and mental. People saying he too slow or even unskilled thats just a joke. Dude was a monster in college he may not be Giannis but he is certainly more athletic than Ryan Anderson, and Anderson had a decade career in the NBA.

1. Mental. He is very sensitive to all the negative comments and it is affecting his shot. He is bricking wide open shots. I am confident the shooting touch will return people say he is a hard worker so he should be putting up shots in the gym.

2. Attitude. This is the most worrisome his attitude is bad he reminds me a lot of Ben Simmons. He doesnt try hard enough on the court which is crazy cuz he is limited to begin with. 1 reb in 20 mins tells you all you need to know dude doesnt wanna fight snd scrap on the court he just wants to shoot 3s on offense and do nothing else. If he really desp to make an impact on the court why doesnt he try to crash the boards ans get offensive rebs? That what Tari Eason does on the daily.

I think his sttitude needs to get fixed asap I dont know what method is needed for that but that needs to get changed quick otherwise he gonna be a bust.

DaDakota, ArtV and PeterKingX like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

College to NBA transition hits everyone different. In college, all NBA prospects are the absolute demigods playing in an ocean of kids who know they will never sniff the NBA. Transition can be hard. This is where I feel like Green benefited a lot by going to G-League; same level of competition, much more ruthless dog-eat-dog world. Not saying that this is what's going on with Smith at all. I have confidence though he will right the ship. I am certainly not going to fuss about it with the amount of games he's played. Don't forget, he also had a game where he was absolutely fantastic.

5. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch games don’t box score watch - Jabari. Switches alot and covering guards / weakside protection .. which is why his rebound numbers are low. He’s not parked in the paint where he just has to box out and grab a rebound … but hey keep on with your fictional short stories

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He does ask for the ball in the post. He just never gets it.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i think it's a bad look for 2 years in a row our top 3 rookie looks like garbage.

but give silas more time! so he can ruin a 3rd rookie!

8. MystikArkitect

Jabari turn around middie from 10-12 at the elbow cash money. But we'd rather have Jalen, KPj and Garrison chucking contested 3s.

Silas has to make it a point to get Jabari going early. Sometimes I forget he's on the court.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Mid range 2's are the worst shot to take. No idea why you think he should be taking more of them.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Are you implying Green had a garbage rookie season?

xaos likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's simply not true, his problems with rebounds are mental mistakes and being thin. He gets caught in a defense where he doesn't know where to rotate to leaving him unable to box out for a rebound. Some of that is on him learning the defense and some of it is on just bad overall team defense. Some of it is his light frame right now. And some of it is he gets rotated onto perimeter players. And yes, some of it is on him but not to the degree you are making it.

He looks focused and he clearly wants to do well. He just doesn't know HOW to do it.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

when you say cash money, do you mean straight into the trash? what is Jabari shooting currently from that elbow

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that's no excuse because Tari gets switched too, and Sengun, but they actively run in and track down rebounds, and isn't afraid of contact.

Watching Jabari on rebounds remind me of Green last year on rebounds, they are just so timid whenever someone bumps them out of the way. They kind of just accept being weaker and lets the guy have it.

Same thing on defense, Jabari usually has good positions, but he lets the offense bully him too much, sometimes you gotta really fight back and play a bit dirty.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Summer Song Giver

Has to be tough touching the ball on every possession in college and then being asked to stand at the 3 pt line and wait for Jalen and KPJ to kick the ball to you... sometimes.

I think he'll be fine whne KPJ is wiinning 6th man of the year awards and the Rox are challenging for the title every year.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tari is hyperactive. That's how he gets so many offensive rebounds. I wish Jabari had some of that activeness. All in all, he needs to increase his toughness and aggressiveness.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't bring midrange appreciation on this forum. They all think the contested 3 is better.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

im implying that his first half of the season was garbage, yes.

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

That's not what you said though

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member