1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Mind-blowing that this was even a vote in 2022. Lets get rid of all blue laws next.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'd say that's a hard 'no'. The election must be rigged in Texas.

DonnyMost and Xerobull like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We haven't been in a pandemic for well over a year now and prices continue to go up. There are serious structural global issues that go beyond a coin toss.
    Record low unemployment is subjective. White collared jobs are going to take a beating while blue collared jobs will still be in high demand. Federal Reserve continues to raise interest rates which impacts and that have clearly stated they are trying to force the economy into a recession.

Nook and Kim like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just woke up.

How bad was this red wave everyone was talking about?

[​IMG]

JayGoogle and Xerobull like this.
  5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He didn't shoot himself. He did the hard work that someone has to do to build the party. You can't win until you try (even when the odds go against you). Republicans tried and failed for decades before John Tower finally won a senate seat in 1961 and then it was close to 40 years before Republicans finally ran the table and wiped out all statewide Dems. During that time, Republicans kept trying and failing but the point was that they tried over and over (with good candidates).

Texas won't be handed to the Dems. They have to do work to win it. If people only ran when the odds were good, then Democrats will never ever win in Texas.

Nook, Dayop and Kim like this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure what to make over Arizona's race for Governor. Lake is behind the late counts have tended to skew very heavily in her and Republican's favor. Yet, she's already squawking about the election not being secure. Maybe she's just covering her bases. Or maybe she knows something about her likelihood of winning.

Speaking of losing. Props to Ryan in Ohio.

Tim Ryan is a role model for how candidates should carry themselves. He shows that he cares about issues, and country over party.

Kim and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Being hard anti-gun is not the way to go in Texas. You can't just throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks. There is data there and you can be smart about it and pick the right candidates.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I really dislike MAGA but I am not happy with democrats either. I hope Bidden does not run again, he is too old and I don't think he have the mind to handle what is needed in next four years. We need someone like a young Bill Clinton, not sure if Newsom can be that person, I don't see too many other options.

Nook, AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this was the case for Beto, but sometimes Democrats in Texas have a tough time. The national party won't give money unless they champion the issues they want to spread nationally which might well be gun control. So the Texas candidates either have to forego campaign money or they have to campaign and trumpet issues that will sink them in the race.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd prefer Gretchen Whitmer. She's been reelected in a swing state and can win a part of the country needed to win the electoral college.

DonnyMost, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Xerobull

Arizona strikes me as one of those states that's hard to get a good read on. Lake is a ****ing blowhard Trumper and as we're seeing, that's not what the majority wants.

Tim Ryan should have had his wife and daughter front and central in his advertising.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Xerobull

Eh, I think there's an angle for gun control in Texas but definitely not the tack that Beto took. And it's politics, it's all about interpersonal sales. You get the right person in front of the money people and you can sell your angle that isn't 'no guns!'. It's an uphill battle in Texas for Ds as you noted. No need to put more boulders in your way when you're slogging up that mountain.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you're talking about pundits, not polls.

The results last night were surprising, but not earth shattering.

Qualitative analysis favored the Republicans significantly. Historical trends were in their favor.

Quantitatively, however, things were pretty tight. Granted Dems had more at stake, but winning 6 or 7 out of 10 coinflips isn't some gigantic anomaly.

Look at the results vs. the RCP average in the tightest, hardest to predict Senate races:

GA
    RCP Avg: +1.4 Walker
    Result: +.5 Warnock
    Delta: 1.9

NV
    RCP Avg: +3.4 Laxalt
    Result: +2.5 Laxalt (so far)
    Delta: .9

WI
    RCP Avg: +3.6 Johnson
    Result: +1.2 Johnson
    Delta: 2.4

PA
    RCP Avg: +.4 Oz
    Result: +2.3 Fetterman
    Delta: 2.7

OH
    RCP Avg: +8 Vance
    Result: +6.5 Vance
    Delta: 1.5

NC
    RCP Avg: +6.2 Budd
    Result: +3.6 Budd
    Delta: 2.6

The biggest miss was New Hampshire with Hassan v Bolduc but I think the trend we're seeing here is that all the races where a candidate narrowed a gap late are the ones where they reliably lost (PA, GA, NH, and even MI w/ Whitmer).

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I will admit and back track on my original comment but I do still include it in my probability tree. I don't follow politics closely. It does seem like Trump is losing his staying power. DeSantis and Florida are getting much of the positive attention at this point. Perhaps DeSantis will be able to take on Trump. I feel like DeSantis uses many of Trumps tactics but in a much more intelligent way. DeSantis could become the Republican that starts to pull Hispanics into the fold across the country.

Nook, Major and B-Bob like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, Seinfeld wouldn't be able to have a butler?

jiggyfly, geeimsobored and Xerobull like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm glad it's happening but watch as millions of Trump fans disappear

"I always thought he was a piece of ****"

If happened to Bush Jr, it will happen to Trump and probably even harder

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

I can tell you from talking to local Hispanic (Mexican descent) friends that they see FL Hispanics (islanders- Cuban and PR) in a different light- like they're stuck up and think they're 'white'. If DeSantis carries that stigma of having their support it could backfire among Hispanic voters nationwide.

Just what I've gathered talking to people. I could be totally wrong on my sample opinions. No offense meant to anyone.

subtomic and jiggyfly like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Don't know if it's possible, but a Whitmer Newsom ticket could energize some otherwise dormant folks. Have no idea if the DEM establishment could kick both Biden and Harris to the curb simultaneously, but I'm keeping hope alive, barely.

Andre0087, mtbrays and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Dems need 2 out of these 3. Unfortunately, NV looking 50/50. This may very well come down to an ugly, ugly GA runoff.

20. Xerobull

Even in ancient Rome they knew the masses were fickle, but it seems like every election cycle it's a shock when a certain paradigm falls out of favor.

Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.