1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I’d rather just do without having to clean the skid marks out of my undies. Can’t they just go away? I hear Russia is hiring.

Ubiquitin and Reeko like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

the only way a republican might care about the TX freeze situation is if it directly impacted them…if it caused 1 of their family members to die or caused them to lose everything…if not, big deal, Democrats probably just lying about it anyways

3. Xerobull

My in-laws lost everything in the freeze and they still gobble up newsmax. That said, they don’t vote and it’s mostly my FIL who rants about Joe. My MIL just placates him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Oh and if anyone thought abortion wasn't a salient issue. The referendum to ban abortion in Kentucky and the personhood amendment in Montana are both on track to fail.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m sure the rest of Clutchfans like hearing about inside MN politics but there are some important lessons to be learned for the rest of the country.

The rural urban split is very pronounced. Ilhan Omar represents Minneapolis while most of the Rural areas are going full on MAGA. It’s no accident that Mike Lindell is from MN. The balance of power is in suburbs and small cities like St Cloud. The MN Republican Party has been captured by MAGA but as much as Republicans would like Ilhan Omar isn’t the face of the DFL. Tim Walz and Amy Klobuchar are.

In suburbs in like Bloomington they might grumble about how crime is rising in the Twin Cities but they aren’t going to agree with new restrictions on abortion and don’t care about things like Walz restricting mining in Northern Minnesota. The messages about that Minnesota is being invaded by immigrants from the south and Somali immigrants bringing sharia law doesn’t play well in St Cloud when it is becoming more diverse.

The MN Republicans can still win by turning out a lot of their vote and have a lot of activism but to flip the suburbs they need to rely on things like the economy or national mood. As is it’s going to be very difficult for them to win a statewide election again.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

the propaganda is strong…if u have an R next to your name on the ballot, u can do no wrong

Andre0087 and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Sadly, I think my FIL won't be around much longer, he's spiraling into bad Alzheimer's. I think once my MIL is out from under his thumb she will vote whichever way my wife leans.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dems should hold off on celebrating. At best this is going to be a split with the house and Senate. Literally nothing will get done at this point as they won't come to agreements and as usual the people will suffer.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

10. geeimsobored

Holding the Senate means two more years of stacking the courts and getting Bidens nominations through. That's a massive deal even if they don't win the House. The R House majority is going to be so small that I'm not even sure they'll be able to pick a speaker.

Yeah not much will happen but I think the odds of debt ceiling defaults and stopping support for Ukraine goes way down now that the Republicans have been humbled. Overall, Dems should be celebrating. This should've been a 2010 style meltdown and instead Dems are way overperforming (outside of Florida and New York).

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hot Take: if SCOTUS had not dismantled abortions this summer, republicans would’ve won both senate and house easily.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

I don't think that's a hot take to be honest. The left should be have been destroyed with the current economy situation.

AroundTheWorld, Ubiquitin and ksny15 like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m loving the results. In tight races trump backed candidates lost and moderate republicans won.

Texas needs to find someone to run against Cruz now, because he can be beat. For gods sake retire Beto.

14. geeimsobored

20% of voters in Tennessee voted no on this last night.

jiggyfly and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, it's not only this but that the GOP doubled down right after.

All those states that rushed to get rid of it in their states and the whispers that they would make it a national ban if they ever get in power.

What the GOP should realize is this just doesn't go away, this is an issue that will continue to be on the ballot again.

Yes, the economy matters but a lot of people are not going to sell what they see as a right for 20 cents at the gas station.

#2155 JayGoogle, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    jiggyfly, Ubiquitin and Reeko like this.
  16. Xerobull

At best Beto should run for a Congress seat. He could win in the right district. But he committed political suicide for anything larger in Texas with his gun comments and it was a bad look for him to a lot of conservative voters when he threw that tantrum in Uvalde.

Blue dog democrat with an everyman ascetic similar to Fetterman could beat Cruz.

Nook, Reeko, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  17. Xerobull

GOP is greedy. It’s the party of capitalists.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. geeimsobored

He had a Congressional seat. He was the Representative from El Paso for years. He has no interest in Congress at this point. He should probably try and get some sort of nomination for an executive post in the Biden Admin at this point. Take a break from the grind and go be a diplomat or some sort of senior administrator in an agency.

Ubiquitin and Pringles like this.
  19. Pringles

Pringles Member

Is Texas still making progress of becoming left leaning? Or has that halted?

20. Xerobull

I know he was a congressman. With his missteps and losses he needs to regroup. It's possible he could run for something bigger in a decade. Good idea on the executive posting. But my point is, he shot himself in the foot and it's too soon for him to go for anything larger in TX right now.

jiggyfly likes this.