1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m pretty surprised they took the Senate. There was real indications that the DFL wouldn’t take the Senate but lose the House.

Im also pretty happy that Angie Craig held onto her seat. I look at Mn 2 as a bellwether for the country. It’s a mixed suburban rural district and a lot of national money was poured into it.

At least in MN the message is that the electorate was more worried about the MAGA leanings of the MN republicans and against further restrictions against abortions.

It’s also interesting to not how different Mn is from WI and IA even though these states are very similar demographically.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d sub.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nah bro. Onlyfans.

That or she's gonna go straight into making Palin p*rn.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So what’s the smart prediction now?

Rs still end up with small House lead?
    NV hangs on for D or flips?

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fetterman won!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll never understand why Texans would vote for a creep like Greg Abbott. Never. I guess all the parents wanting to buy assault rifles for their kids' graduations will be happy.

Rashmon, ipaman and London'sBurning like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Then why were so many predicting a red wave and ass whooping of epic proportions in the House?

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Abbott won Uvalde by like 35 points…all that matters is if u have an R next to your name on the ballot

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I ain't paying though...

Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

While it wasn’t a red wave there are still a lot of things that Democrats should be concerned about this.

The absolute pasting Democrats took in FL and the continued inability to make any progress in TX is still a problem. DeSantis is a very good politician but his success is built in years of work by FL Republicans to build an infrastructure to dominate that state. Their inroads into the Hispanic community is something that national Democrats should be very worried about.

If TX Democrats can’t make headway with an inept and corrupt Abbot administration, even losing ground there are some deeper problems than just candidates. Obviously flipping TX isn’t going to be easy but Democrats should be building off of urban strongholds and into suburbs. A lot of this starts with winning small races like school boards, county judges and state legislators. From what I’m reading here it sounds like they are conceding those to Republicans and allowing this small races to be lost to people getting outside money.

The one thing that has really struck me doing GOTV is that the door knocking really makes a difference. A charismatic candidate in a high profile election obviously helps but basic party infrastructure that can get volunteers out and have local candidates who can push the message makes a huge difference.

#2130 rocketsjudoka, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm beyond surprised by the Senate. I thought the house was potentially doable but the Senate was big reach. I thought it would only go to the DFL if a Republican won the presidency in 2024. The Senate math is incredibly hard for the DFL and won't become DFL leaning until Rochester maxes out (to get the second senate seat) and the DFL maxes out in Twin Cities metro counties like Anoka, Scott County, Carver, etc..

There are basically 4-5 Twin Cities metro senate seats that the DFL will eventually get as the suburbs shift to the left as well as the other Rochester seat but to win a majority without those is impressive. Kudos to Moorhead, St Cloud and Cook County for showing up and holding the non Twin Cities/Rochester seats. I think the Moorhead and the Northern Minnesota district are on borrowed time but its good that the DFL got another four years out of them.

rocketsjudoka and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is kind of a big deal. Harry Truman won WWII but still lost congress in the midterms.

Yet, Biden with all of his perceived problems still has a shot.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Moorhead and St Cloud are swing districts but the colleges there help the DFL. They along with Mankato are also getting much more diverse. This has led to a backlash among Republicans where the candidates there are very MAGA. The problem is that those small cities are starting to look more like the Twin Cities where being MAGA doesn’t play as well.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Hoebert about to get back to doing what she does best :eek:

Ubiquitin, adoo and Xerobull like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

my bold prediction,
    • Warnock will win the Dec run off against Walker giving the Dems control of Senate
    • GOP will have more seats in the House, by a very small margin, not enough for Kevin McCarthy to be the speaker

Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

St Cloud's demographics will hold up ok for a while so the DFL will always be in the game there. Moorhead's problem is that the rest of the Senate district has taken a huge right turn so Moorhead has to go crazy like tonight in every future election. I'm not sure that's sustainable long term but Clay County's population growth has been higher than the rest of the district so it might be enough to offset the other half. But I wouldn't discount how red the half with Detroit Lakes is becoming. Same problem in Northern Minnesota. Cook County is the fastest growing part of the district and its rapidly turning blue but the rest of the district is going the opposite direction and I'm not sure the math is there for Cook to hold it up long term.

Either way, it doesn't matter. The DFL should be thrilled right now. They get four years with a state senate that they had no business winning. The DFL is hands down one of the best state parties in the country that always punches above its weight and tonight was more evidence of that.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Dems win either NV or AZ, Georgia run off won't even decide who who holds the Senate.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

tells u all u need to know about MAGA and the GOP

Dems had a blue wave in 2018, 81 million people voted for boring nothing special Biden in 2020, and despite his unpopularity at this time and the economic issues facing the country, there is no massive red wave in the 2022 midterms

but please, by all means, continue on with the QAnon, conspiracies, election denials, threatening or stripping away of people’s rights, and everything else that comes with the new republican party

Rashmon, Ubiquitin and Andre0087 like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That's kind of disgusting. But the texans have spoken.
    I think it's stupid to vote for the governor who allow folks to experience living in a third world country. No way should Texans ever freeze to death due to lack of heat, but only in Texas.

JeeberD, Reeko and ipaman like this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Texas citizens are freezing, dying, having their kids shot and killed, but... they still OWN the LIBS!