1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is DeSantis beating Trump in a primary? I doubt it

if the GOP was smart, they’d use this lackluster performance in the midterms to try and move on from Trump and MAGA, but they’re probably in too deep

How much of the MAGA base (which is a very large portion of the GOP) will show up to vote for someone who isn’t Trump or Trump endorsed? Trump is like their god

if inflation was somewhat under control, this would have been a blue tsunami in the midterms which typically sees the party in power have heavy losses

Xerobull likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is the Republican problem.

Trump will be incredibly hard to beat in a primary.

The Democratic problem is that Biden probably can't beat DeSantis, but he likely won't know if he's his opponent until it's too late to retire/dropout.

If it's Trump/Biden again, I think Biden wins, Dems take back the House, Republicans take the Senate by a small margin.

If it's Desantis/Biden, Desantis likely wins, Republicans hold the house, and Republicans take a significant lead in the Senate.

Then there's the whole 'who's next?" problem for Democrats... which is a whole other kettle of fish.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a good note. 2022 elections weathered an economic storm fairly well which really helped Democrats. Conditions are much better than expect. Republicans got their way with abortion, which was a pretty big mistake, however its now water under the bridge.

2023-2024 is expected to have some really bad economic conditions. Woe to the party in power. If I'm Democrat, I would want Republicans in control.

It is shaping up for a strong Republican victory across the board in 2024. I hope Democrats manage to hold at least The House, Senate or Presidency. Currently its not looking good.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very little changed here in MN with nearly all of the incumbents re-elected. Keith Ellison was the most vulnerable incumbent but looks like he won.

Wisconsin’ senate race is going down to the wire. Should’ve gone there and campaigned.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trump/MAGA are the problem, both for the Republicans and for the country. Trump's ego is holding everyone hostage and creating division and hate.

FranchiseBlade and Xerobull like this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The roe stuff put fear in a lot of moderate otherwise slightly right leaning voters. People are rejecting MAGA as well and it’s clear . You lay with pigs don’t be surprised when you wake up with **** smeared on you

FranchiseBlade and Xerobull like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@Reeko can we see some more red tears for teh schadenfreude?

Reeko likes this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You wouldn't think the prices would explode during a pandemic, but thats what happened. Trying to predict this stuff is a fool's errand. Most economist's guess is probably as good as flipping a coin. Generally the economy is doing ok. We have record low unemployment. Decent gdp growth. I mean the reason why we have inflation is people are making a lot of money.

#2108 Air Langhi, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The combination of going door knocking for GOTV in the cold, getting stressed over returns, and eating Taco Bell at midnight has taken its toll. I really feel like crap this morning.
    Worse then I felt after WS game 3.

At least the races I worked on were won.

Air Langhi, jchu14, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In Mn it looks like Democrats were vindicated for both COVID and LE policies following George Floyd’s killing. It’s a Blue wave here with not only the Governor re-elected but also likely AG and Democrats taking over both houses of state legislature.

Republicans had been pushing hard here in COVID restrictions and that Democrats were weak in their response to the rioting and crime following George Floyd.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm still in shock that the DFL took back the State Senate and somehow held onto the row offices. So happy for Minnesota right now.

No Worries and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. Xerobull

A good chunk of Republican voters really are....conservative.

con·serv·a·tive
    /kənˈsərvədiv/
    averse to change or innovation and holding traditional values.

They don't want change. They don't want extremism. They want status quo. MAGA & law changes (Roe) that trigger massive social upheaval are an antithesis to their way of thinking and comfort level.

AroundTheWorld and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

maybe it’s about time people stop putting so much weight in polls…they. can give somewhat of an indication, but they’re just not what they used to be

there was someone running around on here spamming posts indicating the Senate was gonna be 53-47 in favor of the GOP because of all these little polls like Trafalgar and Rassmussen

I’ve never answered a poll in my life

Ubiquitin and Xerobull like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Inflation is probably the biggest drag on Democrats but there are other economic issues that are that bad. Republicans though have no answer for inflation. Tax cuts and deregulation like lead to even more
    Inflation.

Phillyrocket and Xerobull like this.
  16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Congrats to Minnesota and Michigan. The Rs are officially knocked out of all levels there. Dems won a trifecta in both. And in Michigan's case, abortion rights also became a constitutional right last night

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Looks like Boebert probably lost. She can get back to the pole where she belongs.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We learned several things from this election.

1. Abortion and preserving Democracy actually do matter. Election deniers lost. Even in conservative states, preserving women's rights to health care and abortion won. Yet, before the votes, people were telling Democrats the reason they were going to lose because they made an issue of preserving Democracy and that people were tired of hearing about Abortion. Yet, not everywhere. Ron Johnson is likely to win in WI.

2. Conservatives count their chickens before they hatch and prematurely run their mouths. They gloated over Fetterman losing, they mocked his looks and health. They were so sure. They bashed Democrats for not talking about the right issues.

3. Trump is a hindrance to general elections for Republicans. Candidates that were backed by Trump ended up doing poorly.

4. The house isn't decided. Republicans can flip 5 seats in their favor in NY. Democrats can flip 4 - 6 seats in California in their favor. We also don't know for sure in Nevada or Arizona in the Senate race.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only poll that matters is the election.

Reeko and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

DId I miss something?

I think the rolling average on most polls was pretty well within the MOE.