1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Team building is different in real life than in the Show on PlayStation. I don't trust McCullers to be the mentor for this young staff. Even though we didn't have JV last year... Greinke played that role in 2021. Extra bonus if that veteran leader by example can still win a Cy Young.
    We rostered Korey Lee in WS Game 6... could have been Yanier if the front office had some inkling if he could handle the pitching staff. He also played 40% of his games this year at first with a few games in the outfield. There was heavy speculation ahead of September 1 that his call-up was more of an audition for the playoffs.

Scouting reports also contradict what you assert... from https://www.larrythegm.com/post/the-astros-officially-welcome-yainer-diaz:
    Unless Yainer Diaz fails as a hitter in his September opportunities I DO expect him to be on post season roster due to the flexibility he provides defensively. An average bat that can catch, play first, and play in the corner outfields is VERY valuable to a team.

2. the shark

the shark Member

It's funny you trying to get people to "understand" when you don't even "understand".

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

People need to assess click on the job he was supposed to do, not some general notion of what a great GM does. He had a mature, championship caliber team. Here were his responsibilities since he has been here.

build an elite pen (I’m assuming that was a key task bc he was from TB): A+
    acquire an impact bat for 2022 team: F. Had an over pay deal for contreras.
    Improve offense by filling gaps for 2022 team B. He got Vasquez and Mancini.
    Acquire and move talent for value: A-. toro for Montero/Graveman. Straw for Diaz and Maton. (Stanek and Neris on pretty decent contracts value wise). Castro was a bust. Odorizzi was not bad value wise, but everyone hates him so whatever.
    Draft well: incomplete. We just don’t know.

Click has done a good job. Period. People wanted him to make that signature move, a key trade, a FA signing. That’s what was missing from his resume so far. Measured against his objectives, in the context of the team he had, he did a good but not great job.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

According to Cots contracts, the Astros have $72M to spend before hitting 1st CBT. But Crane may be OK with going over.

If it takes 3/$135 (Bowden’s projection) to sign JV that takes a big bite out of that.

I think the team could use the Odorrizi model to reduce the AAV.

3/$125M + $20M players option w/$10M buyout. AAV is $36.5M and he still gets his $135M over 3 yrs and he is guaranteed a roster spot in yr 4 to get to 300 W if his age catches up to him.

That gamble gives them $8.5M more in payroll space for each of 3 years.

That leaves $35.5M

Sign Brantley 2yrs/$25M
    Bell 3yrs/$51M

Payroll is $6M below the threshold.

everyday eddie and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Probably something boring like Baker or Click.

7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I love this.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I understand that you used wartime to diminish Luhnow building efforts in effort to indicate that certain qualities were needed to turn a great team into a champion. When someone like Click is able to get even better results (i.e., postseason/WS wins) during wartime without doing the things you think are needed to win a championship (i.e., being aggresive with trades), you slander Click for not building.

The 2022 World Series Championship is an indication that a great team can completely whiff at the trade deadline, and still win. If one is giving credit to Luhnow three years after the fact, being aggressive at the trade deadline isn't very important if the team already is great (being a boost to moral may be the most important thing about deadline trades).

Edit : Also, my understanding is not important. You drive my point home for me while I dance around sematics (i.e., Building a great team is much more important than the wartime trades/non-trades after a team is great as long as the trades/non-trades don't tear a team apart).

#228 Joe Joe, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

lmaooo... You've clearly never met Greinke. Most anti-social person ever. Definitely did not play a mentoring role in 2021 to the staff.

RunninRaven and Rileydog like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

Too soon for a Verlander agreement too?

Does anyone think Verlander has already made his mind up if he wants to stay or not?

I know he could test the free agent market but maybe they can meet at a number before then?

13. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Correa is coming back

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I would like Verlander back and see him coming back as well. But it would be interesting if JV did leave for more money and we looked at Rodon for cheaper

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

Where else is he going to go? He just won his second ring, his time here has solidified his hof bid. He's going to play out the last years of his career here and retire a Houston Astro

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

I'm not comfortable giving Click just one yeah

17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

One year for Click is perfect. But let Crane handle free agency.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Rodon but honestly think it's JV or nobody as far as starting pitchers go ( and maybe all pitching)

The team fills the staff out from internal options if he leaves at least until the trade deadline.

19. Mattician

Mattician Member

Yeah he does seem happy here.

You just never know if a team will throw out an insane number.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

May have been his choice

Fantasma Negro likes this.