1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If he can't convert drives to points, his confidence is going to be even more shook.

I think he needs 5 to 8 plays ran for him each half, so he can know he is getting the ball and is not so rushed when he gets the ball, but he needs to start converting his wide open shots as well, but that could be a rhythm thing.

Believe It! likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He does needs plays called for him. But he also needs to learn to create and do something other than shoot a J

Believe It! and jiggyfly like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Learning to create is a long ways off, he just needs to start having some gravity.

snowconeman22 and clos4life like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Players with gravity have such because they are multiple threats. One dimensional players don't have gravity. Yes learning to create is a multiyear process. Trust me, we have the time right now to invest in that messy and long process.

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Obviously he's super young.. but dude your 7 feet tall with a knockdown jumpshot.. learn some back to the basket game on the block.
    Why are you taking the ball off the dribble from the 3pt line with a guy in your grill.. you look like me at LA fitness

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If you are a consistent threat from 3 you have gravity, yes one dimensional great 3 point shooters have gravity, nobody is helping out.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's not what people mean when they say a player has gravity.

8. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Wish we could've got a workout from him before we drafted that high.

Orlando f#%$ed us I was on the Bancero train or drop back and get Ivey ,and a couple assets maybe firsts

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Orlando usually screws up top picks but not if it's the #1 overall. Shaq, Dwight, and now Banchero looking like the correct decision.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Obviously I'm excited we have Jabari, and don't wish he was on another team. However, I can't help but shake the thought at how Pop would use him in San Antonio. Tall 7 footer, great defense, great 3 point shot. Man. When can we get a competent head coach?

Little Bit, Dobbizzle and Rokman like this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed. There are 29 other coaches out there that would be thrilled to have that type of size and skill to work with. I'm not saying it's 100% on Silas for his lack of success, he's a rookie coming into the best league in the world, it's tough, but I think many other coaches would have this guy performing way better in another system.

PeterKingX and htownrox1 like this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jabari is in a major slump, but it's extremely early. I highly doubt he'll shoot 30% from the field on the season. My main concern is that he's looking less and less comfortable shooting the ball with each game. In his first five games Jabari attempted 7.5 threes per game in 32 minutes. In his last five games he's averaging 4.6 attempts in 27 minutes.

Jabari has a reputation as a natural shooter, a skill that is supposed to translate well. We really can't blame the team offense for his struggles because literally everyone else besides Sengun is shooting better from deep. The open looks are there. Even a non-natural shooter like KJ is willing to let it fly. If Jabari can't lean into his biggest strength it's going to be a very long season.

jiggyfly and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Silas after the game said JSJ has just been sick the last week - he spoke of last night's performance as him trying to tough it out to play but he showed the signs of a guy rusty from spending the last week in bed. He hasn't been great this year but I would say last night he seemed particularly foggy- I'm chalking it up to him getting over the flu/covid and not much else.

jiggyfly and cmlmel77 like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How would Popovich use a guy who can't pass or dribble and who is mostly shooting shots that are ranked as "open" or "wide open", not late in the shot clock, and hitting a woeful sub 30% of them on signficant volume?

He would use him to hand out towels to the guys who are playing better.

I wasn't worried about Jabari's crap dribbling in preseason becuase I figured soup'd up 3 & D player was good enough for now, but he can't even do that. It's worrying - hopefully it's just variance with his shot.

Yung-T, Corrosion and subtomic like this.
  15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a thought....

Jabari has been training with an ex-NBA (borderline NBA granted, but still NBA) father his entire life. That training and his height has certainly given him some advantages when it comes to playing basketball at the high school and college levels. However, now that he's at the NBA level, where almost everyone has received the same level of training (or better) than him, he no longer has any advantages that outweigh his clear deficiencies (slow, no handle, no ability to finish at the rim). So maybe Jabari hit his ceiling faster than most other players but that ceiling happened to be in college and is thus too low to succeed at the NBA

As a comparison, think about Austin Rivers. He's the son of an NBA coach who was very successful at basketball through the college level, and then ended up being a barely mediocre NBA player. In fact, if it weren't for his father bringing him onto the Clippers and rehabbing his career after the Pelicans let him walk, he'd probably be out of the league. Similarly, I suspect that if he had come from a non-NBA family, he would have been much less successful at the high school and college level, and might not have ever made it to the NBA.

I'm not saying this is the case with Jabari, but I do find myself thinking about this possibility a lot over the past few games.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

When 85% of your shots are uncontested .... and you brick 70% of them, that's on you.

Silas is NOT the problem here.

jiggyfly and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  18. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Guess im one of the 5.6% of the people here that can see the future of this dude.... Dog house soon.

19. maj21

maj21 Member

A workout?!? Yeah, let him show us his elite shooting and elite lateral quickness for his size. We would’ve still picked him at 3 lol

20. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Orlando actually ****ed us. Jabari refused to work out for us. Not saying the workout would have changed anything with hivemind in the media, trash analyst like Hollinger/KOC/Lower pumping Jabari #1 all year.

Orlando got a Paolo workout in two days before draft while smoke screening the whole league for 2 months. Literally smoked Jabari/Chet into not working out with us. We only saw Paolo in Houston, where he measured like 6'10" barefeet.

cheke64 and Erbnwarfare like this.