1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What PGs can we trade for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Nov 6, 2022.

1. MystikArkitect

It's a unique situation here. Everyone is suffering in this "system" because of the coaching and to a certain degree, roster management. KPj is being played out of position, doesn't have a true backup, and everyone else is suffering for it. Jalen is not a great decision maker in isolation nor is his handle tight enough to warrant the amount of touches he gets out there. You have two terrible iso players taking turns pretending to be James Harden. KPj as a catch and shoot slasher, is great. Jalen as a catch and shoot slasher, is also great. As floor generals, they are both god awful. Not even going to get into poor Jabari, just running around as Russell Westbrook famously said.

Isoball doesn't work unless you have the two greatest isoball players in the league on the same team. Luka is going to be a playoff failure. As is Trae Young. All of these dribble dribble dribble YOLO guys end up always flaming out. It's why I'm still not too mad about Paolo going to Orlando. Those high level IQ offense no defense players make you build around them but always end up getting out-schemed when it matters.

bmelo likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look none on this matters if Silas is still the coach.

DD

bmelo likes this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

What exactly Scoot gives us we dont have already in Jalen/KPJ? Another American predraft star and then some guy with 5 pick gonna outplay him

4. DaDakota

He is by far the best dribbler on the team and able to beat his man, let's not overreact to a couple of bad games, KPJ is our PG because we literally have no better option.

DD

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

But he shows that not against NBA level talent. Against competition like that a lot of players look great, im not sure he has better dribble than KPJ

6. DaDakota

He beats his man on the dribble constantly, he struggles on the pass, probably because we have no system that shows where guys should be.....and he has only played PG for 13 months.

DD

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im not sure what you are talking about. I said im not keen on Scoot because he gives us same things that Jalen with KPJ. I would draft someone else

8. Risingred

Risingred Member

Just like I said in another thread, try EG/KJM/Sengun/Tari/Bari lineup. Bench the two ball hogs and move them to the second units with the unmovable object Nix. We are losing anyway, why don't we try it first before making a bad trade?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Mostly this.

10. maj21

maj21 Member

I think y’all are mixing up the Scoots lol

burlesk likes this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Does it really? Devin Booker developed fine. Giannis developed fine. Jokic developed fine. Embiid developed fine. If you're good and you put in the work, you become good regardless.

12. DaDakota

I said that the day we drafted Green that KPJ and Green were the same player.....and that we would have to make a choice......I still feel that way, and I would not be surprised if all things are equal at the end of the year that one will go.

DD

13. comrade

comrade Member

Could Lonzo Ball's dubious injury history make him available?

14. DaDakota

Good, but not all time great, right? Which is what you want - Giannis is one for sure...Jokic too....

DD

15. bmelo

bmelo Member

You basically named 3 centers and one guard who rocketed since having hof point guard

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah that's the point. You don't lose the potential by spending 3 years with a bad PG in a bad system in a bad situation. Once the team gets good you get good too. There's no hampering of development going on. Once you get that HOF guard you rocket even if you were intentionally fouling to get 70 pts just 2 years prior.

17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm just saying that this "holding back development" thing is all narrative. A player that already works hard and has the potential doesn't need a vet holding their hand through the early years to reach that potential. The player himself is the most important factor.

Also, I don't think anyone on the team has all time great potential anyway.

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

You know who we should have traded for in retrospect: Monte Morris. Guy is a low turnover guy, good shooter, plays hard and smart, good floor general. He could have come off the bench for us and really stabilized our offense and set the table for everyone really well.

Not 100% sure if the Nuggets would have definitely preferred to have EG instead of Caldwell-Pope, but I think we might have been able to do that trade instead of the Wizards.

Not sure who we could trade for now though.

19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Interesting point of view. But im not sure there is many HOF point guards going around that you can plan around that :)

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

KPJ could be on this team in 2024-25 but not as PG. I think his ideal role is going to be an amazing 6th man.

Green will look awful if thrown into the KPJ role. I personally think Green has more potential as a passer. KPJ getting those reps now hurts Green. I understand we are invested in KPJ. He very well may pan out.

Sengun/Garuba
    Smith/KMJ
    Eason/KPJ
    Green/KPJ
    Henderson/Washington