1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Nov 6, 2022.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

If we're talking about hypotheticals, Correa 3rd, Pena SS, Bregman 2nd, Altuve DH.

#41 mvpcrossxover, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Mutual Option.
    Verlander and Smith also have some form of option. But the list only included players no longer under contract AND without an option of any kind.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Two SSs?

I mentioned an alternative of Bregman moving to 1B if Correa returned, but moving Altuve to DH would open up this possibility;
    Correa 3B (arm)
    Pena SS (range)
    Bregman 2B (twitch)
    Altuve DH (hit)
    Hensley/FA[Abreu?] 1B (twitch/height and hands or hit)

This creates an infield entirely of former or current SS.

#43 Marshall Bryant, Nov 7, 2022
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Solid take.

If Houston is trying to field the best 2023 opening day roster they can reasonably afford, the additions would be (in order of priority):

1B: Bell, Abreu, or Rizzo
    OF/DH: lots of options but I think Haniger and Conforto could represent a good value
    C/DH: This would need to come from trade if they add 2 good free agent hitters; Murphy, Jansen, or Kirk seem to be fits
    P: if they bring back Verlander then the staff would be set (and Urquidy, Garcia, or Brown become trade bait). Otherwise they can search for an underrated RP (Michael Fulmer seems like a potential target)

Best realistic opening day roster for now:
    2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    DH Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    1B Abreu ($32M/2yr)
    LF Haniger ($54M/3yr + vesting 4th year)
    C Murphy (for Leon, Barber, Perez, and Arrighetti)
    CF McCormick
    Bench: Maldonado, Meyers, Hensley, Dubon
    Rotation: Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy
    Bullpen: James, Maton, Stanek, Neris, Abreu, Pressly, Fulmer ($4M/1yr + 2nd yr team option)
    Optioned: Whitley, Murray, Bielak, Dubin, France, Martinez, Paredes, Taylor, Mushinski, Ruppenthal, Lee, Diaz, Matijevic, Julks

prospecthugger likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I like sticking with a 6-man rotation:

Verlander, Framber, Javier, LMJ, Brown, Garcia (Urquidy if we don't re-sign JV)

Pretty good with this Bullpen:

Pressly, Abreu, Stanek, Neris, Maton, Urquidy, Taylor

With $70M or so available, 1B/DH/LF would be primary need. Verlander is going to eat up half of that at least, so lets say $30-$35M to address that need.

6. prospecthugger

That's an incredibly deep lineup. I think it makes sense to add a pitcher if Verlander leaves. It's less urgent than years past, with Pressly and Abreu ready to close games and Stanek and Neris potential high leverage options in front of them.

MLB teams have just over a week to add prospects to the 40 man, so we might see some action quickly. At some point you wonder if Click's job is secure because of the timing, but it's crazy that still hasn't been addressed.

Snake Diggit and Screaming Fist like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That lineup would probably project to be among the 5 best (in terms of fwar) in the history of MLB. That is a 27 Yankees (or better) level lineup.

prospecthugger likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe Jeanie had it right after all.

This team isn't worth the investment of cashing in their future 1st round picks.

9. jayfree

jayfree Member

Realistically you live in a made up world if you think the Astros are going to get Abreu, Haniger and Murphy.

AND a big HELL NO to Rizzo

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I believe a six man rotation is the new optimal rotation. We had the depth, either by design or by accident, to keep pitchers minimizing wear while keeping their feel.

Elienator likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What's the problem with Rizzo?

33 (in 23) 131 OPS; 338 OBP; 58 BB; 101 SO; 32 HR; Left Handed. Did he join in on the Astros Hate or something?
    Projected AAV $23M.

4 year $92M with $25M Team option for 2027 and 8M buyout. Magic Contract value of $100M

#51 Marshall Bryant, Nov 7, 2022
  12. jayfree

jayfree Member

I want contact hitters who can get on base more than Rizzo. He had only 101 ks but I see him as an all or nothing hitter now with a few sprayed doubles here and there. Yuli hardly strikes out and can get clutch hits when needed and rather have him 100% over someone like Rizzo.

Rizzo (1-2 count batted .184, 2-2 count batted .133. RISP .200, RISP w 2 outs batted .159)

Yuli (1-2 count batted .200, 2-2 count batted .247. RISP .221. RISP w 2 outs batted .215)

And that was Yuli is a down year compared to Rizzo having 4 straight down years.

Also I would consider Yuli a better 1bman than most of the league including Rizzo

Lastly, Yuli is batting 1.000 as the #7 hitter (1 for 1) so put him there next year and we are set ;)

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If Yuli returns to 2021 season & 2022 playoff levels, I agree. But those 500 PA not like the above concern me.

Is there any reason to dislike Rizzo more than other outside 1B aquisitions?

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'll gladly take 2022 Yuli regular season to get 2022 Yuli post season. He has 33 hits over his last 26 post season games while Rizzo is a lifetime .218 post season hitter with 48 ks in 49 games. Astros DO NOT need players who can't hit when the pressure is on, they need more guys who can slap the ball opo field if need be or put the ball in play at least.

15. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not sure how much Yuli has left in the tank.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is bold and there is stupid. In the end we made the right move.

17. rockbox

I just don't see Yuli going anywhere else. He's not going to be expensive and wasn't expensive the last 2 years. I'm thinking 10 million for the next 2 seasons.

I still think we go after Abreu if the price isn't crazy. Brantley should come back for less than 10 million.

Verlander is coming back unless someone offers him 120 million over 3 years guaranteed. I think we get him for a 2+1 with a vesting like this season at 40 million.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Trade with Angels

Angels get:
    Arrighetti 1.9
    Garcia 45.6
    Leon 6.5
    Melton 4.6
    Meyers 5.3
    Whitley 2

Astros get:
    Ohtani 52
    Trout 14

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    LF Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    CF Trout
    DH Ohtani
    1B Gurriel
    C Maldonado/Vasquez

Bench
    C Maldonado/Vasquez
    IF Hensley
    OF McCormick
    OF Brantley

Verlander
    Ohtani
    Valdez
    Javier
    McCullers
    Urquidy
    Brown

#59 Marshall Bryant, Nov 7, 2022
  20. rockbox

Other teams like the Yankees and Dodgers would offer more just so we couldn't get them. That would be the scariest lineup ever. Just imagine facing Tuve, Bregman, Trout, Alvarez, Ohtani, Tucker, Pena all in a row. Yikes.