1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody NEEDS to do something

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

People need to take a look at other teams rebuilds and understand where we are in this process.

Take a look at the 76ers. The last time they were relevant was 200/01 when they won 56 games went to the finals and lost to the Lakers.
    They spent the next 7 seasons mired in mediocrity winning 43, 48, 33, 43, 38, 35, 40, 41, 27, 41, 35, 34 games before Hinke took over in 2013/14 and started the process where they had win totals of 19, 18, 10, 28, 52, 51, 43, 49, 51 ..... 4 terrible seasons accumulating talent before they started winning at a high level.

12 seasons of mediocrity kept them mired in mediocrity - while they had a HOFer in his prime in Iverson. Let that sink in.

Then there's Phoenix. The last time they were relevant was 2009/10 when they lost to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals.
    Since then, they have posted win totals of 42, 33, 25, 48, 39, 23, 24, 21, 19, 34, missing the playoffs in every season before finally putting it together in 2020/21 when they acquired CP3 with 51 & 64 W's the next two.
    They even had a #1 overall pick to go along with #4 twice, #5 & #6 and they drafted one allstar in that entire period of time. (they blew that #1 pick on Ayton instead of Luka)

This is pretty typical of rebuilds, they take a prolonged period of time - Unless you are a destination city like LA, Miami or Boston ....

This Rockets team has a bunch of unproven athletes trying to become basketball players .... the fact that they may complete this rebuild in 3 years is pretty impressive - having $70m+ in cap space to play with along with another early draft choice in a loaded draft.

Or would you rather a decade of mediocrity ??

pmac, KingSamJack, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The personnel sucks dude period. Nothing to get worked up about. This is year 3 in the post Harden rebuild. As discussed previously teams go through this before identifying and solidifying their core players. Because the players suck there’s no chemistry or identity. Not only do they suck but the pieces aren’t matching. Undersized 5, selfish SG who plays point. Inconsistent Jalen. And stiff ass Jabari who no one knows what he will be. Just relax and see what happens this draft and free agent summer of 23.

roslolian likes this.
  3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Playing rookies big minutes and developing rookies are NOT the same thing. You need a decent coach to do the later, and how many minutes the fans personally see the player playing is irrelevant.

Xopher and NewAge like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When it rains it pours. Agreed.

Because Silas sucked so much, you can't even identify the core players clearly now opposed to before this season.

Only Sengun, Garuba, KMJ, Tari are playing well or above expectations.

Not enuff.

hlmbasketball and Stephen_A like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Sixers and Suns are likely not the best examples, Memphis would be but you got to draft Morant type first.

I also think Jalen and Jabari thought highly of themselves too much, thought they were dope and didn't expect the early struggles when Jalen was clearly one of the worst players in advanced metrics early on.

KPJ has been a selfish padder himself.

Couple that with the incompetence of Silas to form a tight knit group, squeeze out better team performances.

#45 daywalker02, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

U know I wasn’t anti Silas still not but he just isn’t it. Just like how KPJ or Sengun in my opinion aren’t it. Rockets might have hired him possibly for being a father figure type with a holistic approach to mentor manage and develop such a young core given his development experience. Likely they will implement a coach of their liking once our core is formed and we start winning.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree with most of what you are saying. We are in re-build mode, we are too young to win, and we need to take advantage of our pick this upcoming draft. I don’t agree on the coaching. We are going to lose regardless of the coaching staff, but we could be building the ability and mindset to compete. Continuing to hold back guys like Sengun and Tari for the sake of playing Gordon, Matthews, and Nix is not productive. Running nothing but ISO is not productive. They need a leader as a head coach not an advocate of complacency. We will lose no matter what head coach we have this year, but it does not have to be another wasted year for developing a team.

HamJam likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This isn't anti in terms I dislike him it is more he should be going elsewhere 'anti'.

Lucas is the father figure, Silas is the nice 'uncle' trying to be the fun uncle 'funcle'.

Stephen_A likes this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I have said from the jump!!! I wouldn't have traded C Wood, I wouldn't have made NO other moves until we got rid of Silas.

You don't know what you have until they get properly coached.

I understand being young and taking your lumps but this is ridiculously bad and if you keep going down this road, it makes it harder to recover, i.e Orlando, Sac, etc.

NewAge and daywalker02 like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My thing is NOTHING is promised. It's presumed they will have the worst record again but having the worst record doesn't assure the #1 overall pick. The team with the worst record haven't won the lottery since the LeBron draft.

And although they'll have $70M, there are no FAs I can see worth signing other than Myles Turner but if I'm him, I would want to go to a contender. So, who would want to come play with a team full of 20yrs who have no idea of how to play?

I love the fact we have draft picks and cash but so did Orlando and Sac for yrs and Philly is not a good example but my outlook is nothing is promising if you do not have the RIGHT people in the front office and COACHING.

11. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I can agree with you on that, and I’m not completely against them getting a new coach this season. The only reason I don’t want them to, is because then they’ll be fans calling for that coach to get fired when the team still struggles. Also if you’re one of those who want the Rockets to tank for Wemby or Scoot it may be best to wait until the off-season for a coaching change, because a new coach may put us in position to win more games than we need. But I completely agree that we need someone who can manage the lineup better, draws up better plays, and understands when a player is hot not to go away from him

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Jabari and Green had great performsnce this sesson you can whine about coaching but with these guys playing like scrubs I'd rsther tank for better players. People keep blaming offense but at the end of the day the players still execute his plays. How come Sengun and Tari Eason play great in a "bad" offense but Green and Jabari play like scrubs?

That aint on coaching Jabari and Jalen just suck ass compared to guys like Banchero and Mathurin. Everyone keeps saying be patient ok then fine lets be patient with these guys but then dont go blame the coach when the players on the court are scrubs. Even a master chef cant do anything if you give him rotten ingredients, still gonna make people sick.

Jabari 43% TS -> sorry this is Adam Morrison territory. Plus he charmin soft cant get to the rack to take fts.
    Jalen 48% TS -> horrible performance for a supposedly generstional scorer. Also has 0 defensive awareness on the court.

Will the new head coach make these guys shoot better? I doubt it, if yiu watch the gsmes opponents are already leaving Jabari open cuz they know he is a bricklayer. Its on Jabari and Jalen to get their **** together and work on shooting drills till they can actually make open 3s smh.

#53 roslolian, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Corrosion and Rinaldi like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Le$$ likes this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

They hired him to coach a Harden led team not a bunch of rookies and 2nd years. He clearly isn't up to this task.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

All we need is that no.1 pick.

17. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

lol, as if that was so easy...

18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you. Too many on here rationalize losing and think that it makes them a model of stoicism or something. We're sports fans! We're allowed to piss and moan when the team is bad!

NewAge likes this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

for some of the pro tanking people, like myself, there's just no difference to the enjoyment of the team between 20 wins or 30 wins or 40 wins

roslolian likes this.
  20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

and Harden ran away without looking back again, ever. I wonder if Silas did anything funny or strange.