1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also true.
    I’m super big on Williams and Maye. I think those two are special

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Caleb is fast growing on me for sure. Maye is very intriguing too.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I agree, if they don't like this years QB class, running it back with Mills next year is not an option. Neither is signing a middling free agent that might win too many games.

So take a journeyman in a later round.

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

If I'm the Texans I'm picking Will Anderson with their top pick. If Young can be hd with the Cleveland pick I'd pick him there. Otherwise trade back for more picks and select Cameron Ward who has tremendous potential.

deb4rockets and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be down with Ward after the 2nd. I think McCall has a higher chance of being a big time QB.

6. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If I'm going defense, I'd pick Jalen Carter over Will Anderson. Elite player in the middle of the defense and can slide out to edge if needed. Also, this draft is deeper with edge players than elite DTs.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Again Im cool with that, but these yahoos might convince themselves that this NEW 3rd-4th round QB has the tools it takes to win and use that as reasoning to bypass taking a QB high next year. It could be DAvis Mills all over again as the guys y'all are talking about as possibilities I dont view as huge improvements over Mills considering the terrible system in place. I dont think any young QB will be able to succeed here with Lovie/Pep.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I don't necessarily agree. We saw that Kyle Allen and Jeff Driskel both looked better than Davis Mills in the preseason and by all accounts they also looked better than Mills the further training camp went along. The only reason they aren't playing is because they have no potential upside to tap in to. I think while Pep and Lovie have issues, Davis himself may have a lower cap on his potential than people are willing to admit.

Objectively he has only slightly above average arm strength, struggles with accuracy, especially to the sidelines and deep, doesn't possess great pocket awareness or elusiveness, isn't comfortable scrambling, and tends to stare down his target. He looks good for a 3rd round qb, but compared to the best qbs in the league, objectively there is no way for him to grow into that tier from a physical traits standpoint. This leaves it all up to his development mentally, and he hasn't shown any exceptional prowess in that area either.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The guys who are in the talks going 3-4th round are no different from Mills, Allen or Driskel though. Its a roll of the dice. Maybe some guy does break through, but for that to happen it normally requires a pretty good landing spot and this is not one of those. Why take a QB as a project again and have to wait another 3 years for him to develop and fill out the team around him. We'll be close to a decade into this rebuild before we can field an average team.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If the Texans can draft any of Draftwire's projected Top QBs, I think we'll be in good shape moving forward.

Their Top QBs are; Young, Stroud, Richardson, Ward and Penix, Jr. Although, I think Richardson is raw.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Levis is better prospect than all except Young

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Anthony Richardson at 3 is just crazy. Have you guys watched him play? Some of the other guys on the list might just look appealing because they line up with a fan preference which is fine, but there are definitely some head scratchers on that list.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m telling y’all, Caleb is that dude

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said, Richardson is raw but to me he is compatible to Justin Fields when he came out of OSU.

I've been hearing a lot of praise about Penix and Ward lately, by Andre Ware and John Harris. Guys who watch college football and announce games.

However Levis has been sliding down most draft boards.

#1097 hlmbasketball, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He very well could be but so was Trevor Lawrence, who played against better competition and who draft measurables were higher.....Now look!

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Caleb Williams wasn’t the No. 1 recruit in the nation. Not even the No. 1 QB in his class so remind me why we’re comparing them.