1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

Whoever it is... It'll probably be Astros vs THE WORLD again

2. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

If we resign Verlander and Brantley as well as add Abreu, we will have the best shot of anyone in a long time to repeat as champions.

3. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I so badly do not want to see a black hole at DH ever again, its amazing we won despite of that so this talk of abreu, rizzo, bell excites me I also like the idea of bringing brantley back. I know we pursued bell as trade candidate so I can see interest there, I also think benintendi would be an attractive OF option if we want to go that route. I thought chas was huge in the playoffs but a more dependable bat would add so much length to this lineup.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yep I think this is the off-season result. Also Montero and Smith walk and you have Lee/Diaz given a shot to backup Maldy. I’d like to see Whitley go to the pen.

CF is another competition again between Chas, Meyers, Leon, Dirden, etc.

Would be interesting to see what they do if they resign JV and now you have 7 deserving SP.

J_Hunter_1977 and prospecthugger like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trea Turner would mind getting paid LF wages.

6. No Worries

Diaz does not want to catch.

7. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Do you have a source on that? I'd love for him to become the new first baseman in 2024 while splitting time with Yuli in 2023.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right now they have weaknesses at:
    1B: Matijevic projects to be a league average bat and average defensive 1B. Other internal options are Hensley (slightly below average bat but good defender) and Yainer Diaz (above average bat and below average defender)

CF/LF/DH: McCormick and Meyers project to be about average if used together in CF, and obviously wherever Alvarez is slotted will be a strength. But using Meyers as the everyday CF and McCormick as the everyday LF (with Alvarez as the everyday DH) would likely make for a below average offensive OF. If Diaz’s offensive projections are legit then making him the everyday DH while putting Alvarez in LF and McCormick/Meyers in CF would be good.

C: There is a lot for debate in catcher valuations, but by the numbers Maldy projects to be weak and Lee/Diaz don’t project to be very good either. That said, it’s obvious the Astros like Maldonado as an everyday guy and so it wouldn’t make much sense for them spend resources on catching, especially if they view Lee or Diaz as viable long term starters. That said, adding a good hitting catcher is a good way to lengthen the lineup.

The Astros do not have a weakness on their pitching staff. Of course it always makes sense to add an ace or elite reliever if the price is right, but if they enter the season with only players currently under contract, their pitching staff will still project to be very very good.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. No Worries

Yes, reported multiple times here by a trusted source with insider information. This is not a secret.

10. HTM

HTM Member

I don't really follow what our boys are doing in the minors, does Whitley deserve to be brought up?

11. No Worries

No, he does not. He still needs work (and the Astros are not desperate).

Marteen likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Estimated contract ranges for potential Astros free agent targets according to fangraphs:

Verlander: $55M/2yrs-$80M/2yrs (I think he’ll get 3 yrs)
    Nimmo: $100M/5yrs-$110M/5yrs
    Contreras: $70M/4yrs-$80M/4yrs
    Abreu: $30M/2yrs-$38M/2yrs
    Rizzo: $32M/2yrs-$51M/3yrs
    Benintendi: $52M/4yrs-$56M/4yrs
    JD Martinez: $15M/1yr-$54M/3yrs
    Conforto: $12M/1yr-$20M/2yrs
    Mancini: $12M/1yr-$18M/2yrs
    Brantley: $10M/1yr-$28M/2yrs
    Profar: $20M/2yrs-$31M/3yrs
    Drury: $18M/2yrs-$30M/3yrs
    Bell: $18M/2yrs-$43M/3yrs (this would be a steal)
    Carpenter: $6M/1yr-$9M/1yr
    Narvaez: $14M/2yrs-$16M/2yrs
    Vazquez: $16M/2yrs-$18M/2yrs
    Haniger: $24M/3yrs-$24M/2yrs
    Pederson: $18M/2yrs-$23M/2yrs

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-top-50-free-agents/
    Those prices seem deflated. But if they hold true Houston can probably afford to sign Verlander AND add 2-3 good hitting position players, which is exciting to think about.

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Why are so many in the media so sure that Verlander is gone?

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

They want it to happen and are trying to will it into existence

15. toby

toby Member

Same reason the Phillies were a lock after game one. Verlander isn't going anywhere. Family has friends here. Money will be steep but it will be short.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  16. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

We saying goodbye to Yuli?

17. Major

Major Member

If I were Click, I'd probably walk on my own terms. He can get another job pretty easily, and it's hard to do a job if neither your superior or your primary subordinate work well with you. If he doesn't leave on his own this year, it seems like a matter of time before he's let go not on his own terms.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  18. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Depends on the attitudes of all, some amount of tension is good for high performing teams as well as differing opinions. The results are clear; hopefully if Crane has actual dislike of Click, he has a good option lined up. Click isn't going to have a better organization to run that's for sure.

19. Cinder Guard

Cinder Guard Member

Is Luhnow the obvious choice to replace or untouchable? I honestly have no clue where Crane stands on the issue 5 years later.

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The Stros have the luxury of shopping at the bat-first/crap glove end of the market. Paying anyone for defensive chops seems like a waste at this point (e.g. Benintendi).

Devils advocate on the DH point: it was almost entirely an under performance issue at DH, not a talent issue. Mancini and Diaz are should have produced way more than they did. If you told me mid-season that Trey Mancini would be our DH in the WS I'd have been stoked.

Wulaw Horn likes this.