1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Chron.com has links on parade info and how to watch but they locked it down to subscribers only. WTF? That’s petty af.

2. astroa89

astroa89 Member

He might be the best pure pitcher but was not the best option based upon how game 5 went. Prior to him being put in game 5 their bullpen hadn't given up much of anything to the Astros while the majority of the Philly starters were getting tagged for almost 5 runs a game.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also putting in Alvaroado burned them in Game 5. That was a even tougher spot and it makes sense to pull the prior pitcher but Wheeler still looked sharp and they had the lead.

To me this looks a lot like Hinch pulling Greinke in game 7 of 2019.

4. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Still have PTSD from balls bouncing off foul polls it haunts my dreams sometimes. :(

5. astroa89

astroa89 Member

I'm also glad we dont have to face Schwarber anymore every at bat against him was terrifying. I mean he hit a home run off Framber game 6 that was almost at his ankles like who else could do that.

noppeper, crose and Tomstro like this.
  6. Screaming Fist

Wheeler sucked **** in game two, had been hurt that week, and let two reach with one in scoring position with the Phillies clinging to a one run lead in an elimination game. If Wheeler had done his job in that inning there would have been no need for urgency. Almost all managers are going to take him out and put in their best reliever in that situation. The decision is only being questioned because of the result, which is silly.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. astroa89

astroa89 Member

JV also sucked in game 1 and was shaky at best in game 5. You wouldn't be being all the way truthful if you were saying you were not nervous when JV gave up a home run the first inning, loaded the bases, kept putting men on in every inning. That game could have come apart at any moments notice but luckily it didn't. Pressley and McCormick saved JV Astros legacy in game 5 or he would still be 0fer as a Astro in the World Series.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Wheeler looked sharper than Framber for first few innings and we saw Dusty leave in JV and other pitchers in similar situations.

It's a tough call and I can see why Tomson made it but given that Alvorado had struggled last time he was in too I don't think the evidence is strongly on the side to pull Wheeler.

It's also a great illustration of the differences between Tomson and Dusty.

Rileydog likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

Thomson arguably stole game one from Dusty by having a greater sense of urgency in the way he managed the game. The games the Astros won in this series their starting pitching held up which made Dusty's job very easy. Really, as good as the Astros bullpen was, the story of the World Series was that the Phillies top two starters had maybe one good start among them compared to three for JV/Framber.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bad screenshot but this was about 6 inches off the ground when Trout hot out of McHugh

Screenshot_20221107_115641_YouTube.jpg

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Top 10 post-season Astros hits by championship win probability. Pena's 18th inning series-sealing homer is missing for some reason.

12. astroa89

astroa89 Member

I'm glad the Astros won don't get me wrong but I think in a do or die win or go home world series game you have to stick with your ace if he has a low pitch count late in the game until he gives up the lead. He did have men on base but he did in other innings and got out of the jam. I think you have to trust your best pitcher there and not put in a reliever who has been visibly struggling since the prior game. We failed to do that in game 7 2019 and we were labeled chokers for years until we won it this year. It was a bad decision to pull Greinke with the lead just like it was a bad decision to pull Wheeler with the lead. I'm speaking on this as an objective baseball fan and not just as a Astros homer.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yeah I was watching game 7 2019 with some Twins fans and even they didn't get why Hinch pulled Greinke.

astroa89 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dam dude.

That got me in the feels.

Rileydog likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes Dusty got burned in game 1 by leaving in JV an extra inning. That happens. It's always going to be a gamble how long you leave a pitcher in. I just don't think in game 6 it was so certain you pull Wheeler.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Courtesy of Archbishop Deshaies, doesn't look quite as good full size as the avatar does.

[​IMG]

Xerobull and jiggyfly like this.
  18. astroa89

astroa89 Member

Youre also assuming with a man in scoring position we bring that man home with 0 outs and Wheeler on the mound. How many times did we have runners on 3rd
    in game 5 with 0 outs and we failed to score any runs in those innings? There are no guarantees in baseball it is one of the most unpredictable sports around.

#11558 astroa89, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  19. SuraGotMadHops

Did any interviewers ask Schwarber what the hell he was doing trying to bunt with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the 8th? It seems like every Phillies AB after the Yordan homer was just terrible. I expected way more tension in the 7, 8, and especially the 9th. I really think the homer shook them. There was no drama at all after we took the lead.

This is like the inverse of the Kendrick homer in 2019.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would still take it on a T.

@Xerobull