1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Can't forget about Brother Brown!
    [​IMG]

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If anything Crane is about competing. You don't go on this kind of sustained run without good ownership.

mikol13 and No Worries like this.
  3. rockbox

Signing Verlander to a 2+1 deal would make a lot of sense. Crane is is willing to pay the tax for a contender and we expect to be a contender until 2025.

It's about opportunity cost. Can we sign a impact bat that will provide more value in terms of wins for the money we are going to give Verlander? I don't think so. There are only 3-4 bats available that could potentially give us Verlander level impact either through trade or free agency and but none would do a short term deal.

#703 rockbox, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  4. rockbox

We need someone to take Brantley and Yulis minutes and impact.

I'm thinking resign Brantley and Vasquez and then try to get Abreu. Bring Yuli back to take Diaz's role. We still need someone that can play backup shortstop though.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Vasquez is going too be a starter somewhere no way he comes back as a reserve. Plus Lee, is part of the next wave that started with Pena, Brown, etc

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  6. Jeremy Williams

We will need to make a minor C signing or trade. We don’t have depth to backup Maldy and Lee.

7. Jeremy Williams

It could be a sprinkle of Dubon and Hensley behind Peña. If Peña had an injury I could see them calling up Leon.

astros123 likes this.
  8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

See how Lee goes and make a move at the deadline if need be. Never hard too find a catcher.

Y. Diaz was AAA player of the year as well.

9. rockbox

Actually its very hard to find catchers that hit a little bit, call good games, and play defense. That is why Maldi was so highly valued even though he was injured and couldn't hit. If Christian Vasquez is willing to come back at around what he made this last season, I would resign him.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, having 2 good catchers is a luxury befitting a championship team, but you also need a third in the wings.

I'd try to get Vazquez as the primary and Maldy as secondary with Lee getting some time and looking to move to secondary in 2024.

11. astros123

astros123 Member

recency bias is Hella of a thing I can see. JV had a 5.85 era during the postseason and was one loss away from the entire astros fanbase chasing him off. He had 2 good innings in game 5 and other than was garbage. If Phils had one clutch hit during the numerous RSIP that inning none of us would want him back. Don't forget he was also injured last season.

JV is NOT worth 40 million a year when we have the pitching depth we have. Spend that money on OFFENSE. If it wasn't for Pena this year we aren't winning a ring. That's the truth. We have too many holes in the lineup.

Amen. Throwing 100 million to Verlander is ridiculous. Go back and read the comments after game 1 of the WS. Everyone on this board was willing to throw him off the ship.

#711 astros123, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    HTM, El_Conquistador and Wulaw Horn like this.
  12. htownbball

htownbball Member

He won't be back. This will be his last chance to sign a decent contract at his age and he's only made $20M, he's going to take the biggest contract he can and we won't pay $5M for a backup. I think we use a combo of Maldy, Diaz, and Lee in that order.

Rileydog likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

mikol13 and Mr.Pringles like this.
  14. Jeremy Williams

The issue isn’t the AAV to a position where we have depth. It is that any position player of Verlander’s caliber would never accept a 1 or 2 year deal.

Verlander also loves HOU. No guarantee any high end position player wants to come here.

You don’t pass on Verlander at 1 to 2 years.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

16. Qan

Qan Member

I think JV might give Astros some good discount. 3 yrs $105mil....

17. Jeremy Williams

he won’t get 3 years guaranteed going to age 43

18. rockbox

19. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Verlander signs with a discount. Tucker and Framber get extensions, Yuli and Brantley come back. They’ll sign a RP to replace montero. They’ll start the year with Maldy and Lee as the 2 catchers. Diaz will get some time behind the plate but will be positioned to take over at first. They give Leon a shot in center, but if the young guys out there don’t produce then they move Urquidy at the deadline for somebody

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This would've just been a rental. Dusty/Crane were also skeptical that he would be willing to accept a limited role like Vasquez eventually did. They didn't think it was worth trading Urquidy who is under control for a few more years for a player who can leave for nothing in the offseason. Urquidy is great as a backend starter so I'm glad that trade wasn't made.