1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QB or NOT QB.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 24, 2022.

1. raining threes

A reat play? no doubt.

A high IQ play, I wouldn't call it that.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Lions won. I think that means we have the top pick as of today.

A year ago, the majority of the board was salivating over Young. Don't overthink it. Get Young and the best WR available in the first. Then the next two years, you go all OL and defense.

3. raining threes

You like Midget QB's?

How many QB's under 6'0 and 200 lbs have been successful in the NFL?

4. Two Sandwiches

Well, for starters, I think Drew Brees is a great all around comp.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I get what you’re saying but Brees was neither under 6’ or under 200 lbs was he?

6. Damion Laverne

Give me Bryce (size be damned).

Ready to turn the page on Mills and I’m not sure a good bridge quarterback will be available via trade or FA (they’re usually not)

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Rain, I agree with you for the most part, but there are always exceptions to the norm. When I was a kid it was...

Fran Tarkenton who was about 5'10" (listed at 6'0"). I met him when I was 13 and Vikes were in Houston to play the Dolphins. I was 5'9" at that age and was looking eye to eye with him. He was also slightly built, but was a magician with his feet and pocket awareness. I don't see Fran in Bryce necessarily, but there is an example of one of the best ever that was probably close to the same size.

For those who don't know who the hell I'm talking about...

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Brees was 6'0 1/4" and 213 lbs.

Russ was 5' 10 5/8" and 204 lbs.

Kyler, for reference was 5' 10 1/8" and 207 lbs.

Al l have been successful in the NFL, with Kyler being the least of the three, obviously.

Say Bryce measures at 5'11 3/4" and 195 lbs. Is there a huge difference? Especially in the day and age where you can't hit the quarterback?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Bryce isn’t going to measure that. He won’t even crack 5’10 185.
    I like the kid, he has everything I would look for in a QB except size. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the athleticism to offset his slight frame and small stature

raining threes likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I never got the arguement for a PLAYERS SIZE! There have been many players who played in the NFL who was short for their positions;

Mike Singletary 5'11", Sam Mills 5'10", Daryl Green 5'9", Darin Sproles 5'4", on, on and on. And if Young can play in the SEC and play at a high level, I'm 100% sold.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Also, I just hear this morning on Sports 610 Andre Ware and John Harris pumping up Michael Penix, Jr.

I've said all along this guy has everything; ARM, ATHLETICISM, ETC. I can see him going rnd 1 easily.

This is going to be a better QB draft than many think. I can see 4 - 5 QBs going in round 1.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I didnt get to watch much NCAA football at all this weekend. Hate to make any sort of judgement calls based on boxscores, but looks like CJ stunk it up. Hooker and that offense was held in check. Young may have had the "sexiest" numbers, but 25/51 kind of jumps out at me. Drake Maye looked like he had a solid game.

If anything it just bangs home the feeling I get about skipping this QB class altogether. Grab the sure fire defensive guys and pick up a journeyman for next season. All the guys in the convo this year have their own set of question marks and not a single QB is demanding 'consensus' type talks. Too risky IMO. I might be convinced that next years QB crop will be better.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm of the other side of the coin. Every player is not going to light it up every week, it depends on the opponent. Look in the NFL, Mahommes didn't play all that well until late, neither did Josh Allen.

No matter how we would like them to be, no one is going to be excellent every week, especially if you're playing against top competition. Hooker played against a beast in Georgia, IN THE RAIN, Young played against a hot LSU team and CJ played against a Northwestern team that they just did not get up for. Not making excuses, its just facts.

However, I think what we are missing are the others; Michael Penix, Jr, Jalen Daniels and Grayson McCall. I think there are at least 6 QBs that can go in the Top 2 rnds.

#1073 hlmbasketball, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    cmoak1982 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Michael Penix is a gamble. He's literally had a major injury every year he's been in college. Crazy how people are clamoring for big qbs that get hurt alot and don't want Bryce Young who has little injury history because he may get hurt.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Read my earlier post, I love Young as well. I'm of the opinion that there is a QB in THIS draft that can lead the Texans. Be it with one of the 1st two picks or the 3rd pick in the 2nd rnd.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not big on taking another "project" honestly. The staff in place does not know how to develop talent. Build up the D and keep games close enough so that the young QB whoever he is will have a better recipe for success. If we had a savant like Andy Reid or McVay I might be more inclined to gamble on a QB this year.

Damion Laverne and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Penix will 100% not go in the first

Buck Turgidson and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I’m at if we don’t get Young. Even then I’m super nervous about a 185 5’9/10 qb.

Could take a flier on Duggan, McCall, Ward in the 3rd or later

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you could get Penix, McCall, Daniel’s or Duggan in the 3rd or later I would do it

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Would these brainiacs think they had "their guy" though and would that preclude them from taking a REAL blue chip talent next year with the hopes they would be able to coach him up and extract the most from the player? Thats the concern with me.

Omihall23 and cmoak1982 like this.