1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2022 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 14, 2021.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know he's been injury prone, but that seems like crazy good value for Nimmo. Have Chaz do some platoon work so he doesn't have to play CF so much.

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see CF as a need, but at that price, I would like Nimmo if Astros don't get one of the top 2 pitchers.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Abreu as Yuli replacement. Kick tires on Conforto. Still consider re-signing JV but possible opt-out after 2 instead of 3.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nimmo, Bell, and Abreu seem like great values off that list. I’d be fine with Houston giving JV $130M/3yr, but id rather have all 3 of Contreras, Bell, and Abreu for close to the same total commitment.

2B Altuve
    SS Pena
    LF Alvarez
    3B Bregman
    RF Tucker
    DH Abreu
    1B Bell
    C Contreras
    CF McCormick
    Bench: Maldonado, Hensley, Dubon, Meyers
    Rotation: Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy
    Bullpen: James, Martinez, Maton, Stanek, Neris, Abreu, Pressly

Thats a STACKED lineup.

5. Buck Turgidson

Bell was the one that jumped out to me. If you can sign him for that, you do it and not think twice.

6. prospecthugger

Do you think the organization feels comfortable committing to Alvarez as a full time LF?

I think Jose Abreu would be a great fit on this team.

7. Major

Major Member

I don't think there's any way they should sign a player to be exclusively the DH with Yordan on the team. Just sign a position player that gives them flexibility and then rotate everyone through the DH spot.

8. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Which would be Drury. Seems like this year was an outlier as far as his performance goes. I know it’s not wise to spend big on a utility player, but he would be a good bat that could play pretty much any position in the field. This would then allow for rotation at DH to keep everyone fresh.

Major likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I think those ultra-versatile utility players have been key pieces for the Astros since they got good. Marwin Gonzalez and now Diaz have both given the team so much flexibility when dealing with the inevitable injuries.

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Has mlb announced whether the roof will be open?

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think with Hensley and Dubon on the roster management will look for more of an everyday player with a set position than another utility guy.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Looking at these projections again.

You could sign Nimmo, Bassit, and the first baseman of your choosing for not much more yearly than you would have to give 40 year old Verlander.

Not saying I would necessarily do that, it just reinforces how uncomfortable I would be going to that kind of number for one player at an advanced age.

Snake Diggit and mightybosstone like this.
  13. mightybosstone

Yeah, when you see how well the young pitchers are performing compared to the obvious holes in the lineup, it's hard to me to wrap my brain around spending that kind of money on Verlander. I love JV, but if you take him out of the equation, you still enter next season with an excellent rotation of 5-6 starters. Hell, the Astros are one win away from a World Series and Garcia, Brown and Urquidy have barely pitched. And that $40 million+ could give them 2-3 legitimate inpact bats.

It's either that approach, Verlander signs for less (why would he?) or you pay him and look to deal some of that pitching depth for a bat or two.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My current realistic best case offseason would be for them to sign a 1B (Bell or Abreu) and an OF (Haniger or Conforto) and trade for a catcher (Murphy or Kirk). That would give them the best lineup they’ve ever had. Then depending on how their finances look they can survey the RP market, although I am fine with them going with all internal options. Javier, Tucker, and Altuve would be my extension candidates.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Using those prices and if the Astros can't get DeGrom or Verlander:
    Nimmo, Bell (Rizzo depending on how much the budget rises after the win tonight), Contreras, and Brantley.

I'm not sure Brantley is going to get a deal to start elsewhere, but likely still can get worked in for 400-500 PAs in Houston as a backup even if lineup is generally healthy.

Those prices generally seem low on position players. It makes me even further in the camp of not wanting to trade a SP under control, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer those hitters over DeGrom/Verlander plus one bat.

#1375 Joe Joe, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Snake Diggit and Nick like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

17. Buck Turgidson