1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I still think if the Yankees actually wanted to win, they would just offer the contract that Judge may require to Correa.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

And we in-turn sign Judge.

win-win-win

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I would be open to that. Would be eerily similar to Golden State signs Durant.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

Lol I'm not against signing Judge either.

The money is probably best spent other ways. But it would be awesome to see the Yankees fans complain about him not just leaving, but to join the Houston Astros.

Stephen66, jklb and BallSoHarden like this.
  5. vince

vince Member

Judge is going to cost too much money for my liking. He’s an amazing talent, but the resources to sign him would impede building the team with quality from top to bottom, and go the route of mega spenders who hope star power can still be the way (which as of recent, really isn’t as successful as in years past).

I’m a huge fan of Judge, but I don’t think it’s wise to use up your resources on him, when we need those resources to sign Valdez, Javier, Garcia, etc.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Correct.

Keep this team together as long as possible and add in pieces as needed. We don't have to be at the top but that number is going to have to climb some to keep the core in tact.

Wulaw Horn and vince like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was he really a leader, or was he just the loudest?

Just because you get out front does not make you a leader, and who on this team needed to be lead and why would they listen to Correa?

Who is the leader now, since we have not missed a beat?

vince likes this.
  8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This shows how clueless you are.

Radricky likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can't say we haven't missed a beat. Our offense is not nearly as good as it was last year. We just happen to have a rotation of aces this year with Verlander and McCullers healthy, and the development of Valdez, Javier, and Montero.

rocketsjudoka and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

dude he willingly made himself the face of the "scandal" by telling everyone to shut the **** up about it. sure it was being the loudest but he was also taking the lead there, so to speak.

The Real Shady likes this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I've seen people argue over whether or not Correa was worth the money he was asking, how clutch he truly was in the playoffs, how good his defense is, etc. But I've never really seen people question his leadership skills. I feel like that's one thing everyone raves about the guy and how he handled himself during the cheating scandal made me proud to root for him.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yep. Correa will always be an Astros legend as the only player on the Astros to openly stand up for Altuve and the other Astros's who didn't cheat, and tell the other players to STFU if they don't know what happened. As an Astros fan I was pissed at everyone hammering the Astros publicly and they just had to take it. Watching him go off on Bellinger was beautiful.

There is no way to quantify how much that helped the Astros, but I have a feeling his leadership during the hardest times is what helped them get over the initial hump. Now that they are used to the heckling and well past the scandal the leadership is not needed as much.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, Judge IMO is a generational talent BUT I think any team who wants to WIN would not leverage the franchise for one player, I hate the 10-year contracts. Now, you want to give him 45 million a year (just throwing a number out there) for 3 years then do it. The Astros have built the team the right way and you can't always keep all the key components.

vince likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or did he just see another opportunity to get in front of the camera?

Nobody needed him to be the face of anything and it's not like Correa took most of the blame, altuve has gotten way more flack, and he was not even apart of it.

He was not the only player to say shut up about it, I remember LMJ being just as vocal, if not more.

vince likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL he was not the only player to that.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

lol. Got quotes?

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Mancini coming up clutch!!!

raining threes likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Wonder how Carlos feels watching his replacement?

vince likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I think of Correa's leadership I think you have to look at the the 2020 playoff agains the Twins at Target Field. The Stros had a losing record and limped into the playoffs. The Twins were having the best season they had in years even with the shortened season. Not just local media but most national media were declaring the Astros dead. That all they wanted was the season to be over.

Instead the Astros swept both games in an empty Target field thanks to some great pitching but also to Correa's timely hits. Notably in a series against the team with the most HR's that season Correa hit the only HR while the infamous Bomba Squad didn't get a single one.

In that series something changed completely in the listless Stros team mired under accusations of cheating and playing under COVID restrictions. It woke them up to beat the A's who absolutely hated them on their own field and to nearly completing a comeback from down 0-3 against the Rays in the ALCS.

Correa played a significant part in turning things around. He was willing to put himself infront of the cameras and take the blame, he defended his teammates and he got clutch hits and fired up the team with his "What Time is IT!" celebration.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just listen to how our stars still talk about Correa to know how great of a teammate he was. Bregman and Altuve always give him respect even with Pena doing what he's doing. I know it's not feasible but I would love to have Correa back. Too bad he he's not an elite centerfielder.

ROCK3TM4N and clos4life like this.