1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. tx2005

tx2005 Member

I’ve seen some speculation that Alex Cora might have helped out through Schwarber. The theory as I saw it was based on recent comments from Cora to a local outlet (I’m assuming in Boston) given that he has two former players in the World Series (Schwarber and Vasquez). He mentioned texting Schwarber after they made it to the WS and apparently reminding him what Houston did to him last year (and said he would have a good World Series this year).

It’s pretty damn thin as a theory in my opinion but it’s also not the first time I’ve seen speculation that Cora is the type of guy to do this, so who knows.

lw17 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

84 mph "curve", Harper HR:

[​IMG]

#4782 Buck Turgidson, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    GradyMcTracy and desihooper like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

93 MPH "sinker", Bohm HR:

[​IMG]

desihooper likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

88, 87, 83 MPH junk: Marsh HR
    [​IMG]

desihooper likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Then this happened to Schwarber:

[​IMG]

desihooper likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Then he threw this to Hoskins:

[​IMG]

desihooper likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Tipping pitches, my ass.

astros123, BMoney and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Nailed it.

The series is not over yet, but if we do lose, it’s because in todays MLB, a great power hitter can overcome a great pitcher. The Phillies are built to play us; they have mashers up and down their lineup.

Our team has dudes like that, but let them all leave. Now we have an old washed up Altuve and an OK Bregman. If I see Tucker chase another curve in the dirt I am going to break my TV. Alvarez is a no show in the WS again.

Salvy likes this.
  9. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I'd say right now based on what I saw last night it's about a 20% chance we win it. Every Astros looked checked out last night like it was a late September game. They are so easily intimidated in the world series.

CK Johnson likes this.
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

He served up meatballs. End of story.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Perhaps coughing up the 5 run lead in game 1 really did have lasting effects on the team. I know the Astros won game 2 but we came dangerously close to blowing that 5 run lead too.

The Astros haven’t scored in how many innings now? 13? 14?

Cold bats is what we all feared would happen and its happening. The bad pitching on top of that is obviously unexpected. It’s a shame that we are playing so poorly at he worst possible time. I’m not taking credit away from philly, they are looking like the better team for sure.

#4791 Tomstro, Nov 2, 2022
    J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  12. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

How in the world does Dusty keep hanging with LMJ when he clearly doesn't have it .Trying to get innings out of your starter when getting bombed is not ideal. I mean how many times do you have to see the ball leave the park before making a change ? LMJ needs to be in the bullpen.I feel good with Javy,JV (yeah I know but I do) and Framber.I have been so disappointed with Altuve, Alvarez, Mancini (DH really ?) and Chaz hasn't set the world on fire. We are still in this thing....but margin for error is slim...need to win these next 2...obviously have to have one. We need to make THEM play from BEHIND....which they've not had to do.

lw17 likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They had to play from behind the first two games. They split.

Tfor3 likes this.
  14. CinematicFusion

Philly can mash at home. We can’t expect Javier to throw 6 shutout innings. But that might be what he has to do.

Bats need to wake up and attack Nola again.
    Nola will be going for the kill tonight.

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

I still have hope.
    Javier is perfectly capable of shutting them down tonight.
    JV is perfectly capable of bouncing back and not having 2 crap games in a row.

Tfor3, Elienator and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. CinematicFusion

Our offense needs to be perfectly capable against Nola tonight or Philly will be perfectly capable of sweeping us in Philly.

But yes, win tonight and series is 2-2

#4796 CinematicFusion, Nov 2, 2022
    Radricky likes this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Observations:
    1. McCullers did not have his best stuff in 3 of the last 4 games I have watched him pitch. His stuff last night just wasn't there. His stuff against the Yankees was passable, but he escaped some jams which could have had very different results. His stuff against the Phillies in his last regular season start showed signs of cracking as well. Dusty must pick up on these things and ADJUST QUICKLY if it's evident that his best stuff just isn't there. Obviously last night no such adjustment was made. On top of lacking his best stuff, he wouldn't throw his fastball, which made him entirely predictable.

2. The series IS NOT OVER. Baseball games are independent events. Javier can right the ship for us tonight, and I expect him to do so. Our strategy at this point in time should be focused on WINNING ONE GAME. And we have to empty the clip to achieve this goal -- use every pitcher as though it were a Game 7. If you notice, this is what Rob Thomson did in Game 1.

3. Put in Vazquez -- except for Realmuto, the Phillies don't run much. And Maldy isn't having good ABs. We need to score runs to win... Keep Hensley in there -- he showed something last night.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Man. What a dud of a start from Lance. Jesus. Offense didn't show up against perennial Cy Young winner Suarez either. Gotta win tonight otherwise good ****ing luck winning the series.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vazquez likely catches Javier tonight, so we're good there. My biggest concern for Javier is control and balls flying out of that ballpark. The solo homers (hopefully) won't sink the 'stros, but the big innings might. Need to limit the damage if/when Philly hits a big fly.

Dusty tried to eek out another couple of innings, if we win this series, we'll look back on Game 3 as one that preserved bullets thanks to Urquidy.

Phillies have shown they can be had, we just need to execute our pitches and keep them in the park. It starts tonight.

Go 'stros!!

lw17 likes this.
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is Lance still pitching?

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.