1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly that was why he was brought in. This was a dispirited team in 2020. It limped into the playoffs and then they went on an amazing run.

Yea Dusty hasn’t won. WS but how many mangers out there have even been to multiple ones on top of that with multiple teams.

Baseball isn’t an easy game. The best team doesn’t always win. As a lot of people pointed out the 90s Braves only won one Ws and let’s not talk about all those Stros teams thet couldn’t even get out of the first round.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Right after Harper hits a HR on the very first pitch, he goes to the dugout and screams at Bohm and whispers in his ear like a schoolgirl spreading gossip. It should've been obvious Lance was tipping right there. then Lance keeps getting lit up and not even a visit from the mound. Dumb as rock staff we got here.

IBTL, Plowman, T_Man and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...it is actually others' jobs to pick up on that. They have a staff that looks for things. Obviously no one picked it up.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Why hasn't Dusty had one mound visit this World Series? When his starting pitchers have struggled mightily in 2 of the 3 games? That's awful management.

lw17 and King1 like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Astros are trying to win the Series in spite of Dusty, to help his legacy. He's not helping them as a manager should be.

Though many think a manager seems insignificant, they matter in the postseason. A good one can seem like magic. A bad one can cost you games. Dusty is on the verge of costing games.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah looked at the Phillies manager. Pushing all the right buttons, aggressive, treats every game as must-win. Dusty crusty ass chewing on a tooth-pick to lazy to walk to the mound while his pitchers getting shellacked for runs left and right.

lw17 likes this.
  7. Screaming Fist

This is not Dusty’s finest hour.

8. Pipedream

Pipedream Member

You can absolutely be a great regular season manager and an average playoff manager. They are very different games and require different strategies. Dusty gets you there but doesn't switch gears when the margins are thin and the stakes are high. The manager has to do something to keep the other team off balance.

T_Man and Plowman like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The manager doesn't visit the mound unless he is taking someone out. The pitching coach is the guy that goes to the mound.

Elienator likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

What exactly are the different strategies between the ALCS and the WS?

11. Major

Major Member

You mean like leaving Nola and Wheeler in to get down 5-0 in games 1 and 2?

Its crazy how pitching a shutout makes you "push all the right buttons". What exactly did the Phillies manager do that was "aggressive"?

12. Buck Turgidson

Sending Lance out to start the 5th, and then leave him on to face Schwarber for a 3rd time led to predictable results.

It didn't matter in the long run, when you can't score runs, but it's just another indefensible move this Postseason, the worst I've ever seen him manage.

Got 3 starters in the bullpen and Dusty's saving them for Game 8

IBTL and everyday eddie like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

I've been so pissed off with Dusty. I never understood why he let Mancini stay designated hitter for so dang long. I don't understand why he lets our pitchers blow a game before yanking them out. We do not have great batters to overcome that nonsense. We have streaky batters. If we don't get home runs we leave guys on base all the time. Streaky. Inconsistent batters don't need a pitcher getting 5 or 6 runs before being yanked from the game. Stupid!

That being said, I don't want Dusty fired. He got us this far, and hopefully he will learn what a mistake that he made. Hopefully we can sign a more consistent batter in the off-season to add to our lineup. Mancini and Valdez sure didn't help. I'm still excited about our young pitchers. I hope we can overcome these two losses and the rest of our pitchers do a better job.

lw17 likes this.
  14. King1

King1 Member

He's absolutely worthless.

IBTL and lw17 like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with you on hardly anything but Dusty really is worthless.

King1 likes this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Leaving McCullers in was like Pat Riley leaving John Stark in during Game 7 of the 1994 Finals.

everyday eddie, lw17 and King1 like this.
  17. lnchan

Supporting Member

Bad managing is leaving the deepest bullpen in MLB just idle as the starter gets shelled.

18. lnchan

Supporting Member

It does matter in the long run... keeping it a smaller deficit would have forced PHI to at least one of their high leverage relievers.

19. King1

King1 Member

Well, we found common ground on this. Step in the right direction. It's amazing he has supporters here

IBTL likes this.
  20. King1

King1 Member

So you want to keep a clearly incompetent manager for what reason? He didn't get us here. We got here despite him