1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon vs Twitter update: Elon in Israel !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 26, 2022.

?

Who is for democracy?

1. Elon

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Twitter

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Chinese democracy by Guns N Roses

14 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is like Clutchfans
    The contributing members > cheapskates

it eliminates all the trolls and fake accounts
    If you love Clutchfans you pay
    Like we do
    @Os Trigonum @J.R.

try playing call of duty without internet access or buying the game
    You can’t
    @Xerobull

go Elon go

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Man in the mirror method
    He he told us

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Twitter is a private company, it can do anything it wants. If Stephen King doesn't like it, he can go start his own twitter

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No ads, advanced metrics, SEO boosts, bonus tweet features....what Elon has recently posted too.

Not sure if srs....lots of **** online is 'free' if you want to wait and/or watch ads. Your time is what you pay with.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Sounds like Elon is going to make it easier for hostile foreign governments to meddle into US public opinion.

Not really surprising from a South African who sells out to the highest bidder.

7. dmoneybangbang

So less engagement…. Sounds profitable.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

@Space Ghost
    @King1 @J.R.

lol non contributing members don’t understand the subscriptions based model

yet these dummies probably have Apple Music , Netflix , Amazon prime and Costco

King1 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related

Truth Social’s Influence Grows Despite Its Business Problems
    The right-wing social network faces two federal investigations and an uncertain financial future. But it has still managed to outpace its rivals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/...l-conservative-social-app.html?smid=url-share

excerpt:

Truth Social, the right-wing social network, has faced one business calamity after the next since it launched in February. Two executives resigned after its app launch was mired with problems. Another executive was fired after filing a whistle-blower complaint, claiming that Truth’s parent company was relying on “fraudulent misrepresentations.” Two federal investigations are putting $1.3 billion in much-needed financing in jeopardy.

Yet users logging into Truth Social each day saw something quite different during that time: a vibrant right-wing ecosystem increasingly brimming with activity.

Truth Social’s long-term future remains in doubt, but experts say the app itself has only grown more influential in conservative circles ahead of the midterm election.

Much of that is owed to former President Donald J. Trump, one of the app’s founders and its star, who now uses Truth Social as his primary megaphone to the world. His posts on the site reach more than four million followers and regularly reverberate across mainstream news and social media sites.
    more at the link

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Turley

https://jonathanturley.org/2022/11/...st-proposal-from-the-unwashed-and-unverified/

November 1, 2022
    Blue Checkers Revolt Over Musk’s Threatened Monthly Charge: A Modest Proposal from the Unwashed and Unverified
    As a regular MSNBC pundit is calling for Elon Musk to be stripped of his citizenship for trying to reintroduce free speech protections to Twitter, the new owner is outraging blue checkers by suggesting a monthly charge for verified users. Figures like CNBC’s Jim Cramer declared: “I’m not paying them anything. They should pay me.” Some of us would be willing to pay an added monthly fee to support a true free speech alternative on social media if Musk keeps his word.

Of course, for full disclosure, I would first have to get a blue check to get charged for a blue check. I have been barred from being verified for years by Twitter despite being a columnist for newspapers like USA Today and the Hill as well as a legal analyst for CBS, NBC, BBC, and now Fox over the last two decades. I have been ranked in the top five law professors on Twitter, but I was still turned me down over a dozen times under multiple categories.

I have previously joked about the bar on verification and I am not sure how much the blue check honestly does for individuals. Indeed, there are some advantages. I can presumably deny prior statements since they were made by an entirely unverified person using my name for over a decade. Yet, as a long-time critic of Twitter’s censorship system, there has been a long curiosity over the denial.

Musk has indicated that he is now looking into such concerns and there may be greater transparency in the weeks to come.

However, Musk is looking for ways to reduce the dependency on advertisers and many of us would support that effort. Recently, General Motors suspended advertising on Twitter until it can evaluate the implications of Musk’s new policies. Some of us immediately criticized the action by GM over the move.

The company had no problem with supporting Twitter when it was running one of the largest censorship systems in history — or supporting TikTok (which is Chinese owned and has been denounced for state control and access to data). Twitter has been denounced for years for its bias against conservative and dissenting voices, including presumably many GM customers on the right. None of that was a concern for GM but the pledge to restore free speech to Twitter warrants a suspension.

Musk’s pledge to restore free speech protections will not be realized if these pundits and politicians can use corporations to drain the company, a repeated and successful means used in the past. Making the company more dependent on actual customers rather than these companies can reduce such pressure to resume censorship policies.

Many customers never wanted the censorship being sold by companies like Facebook and Twitter, but they lacked any alternative. Twitter can now be that alternative. We can show that there is a market for free speech but supporting Twitter in trying to reduce the dependence on corporate sponsors.

For my part, I am less concerned about the blue check or charges for blue checkers as seeing greater openness on how Twitter made such decisions in the past (as well as any alleged backchannels with government officials or agencies). That would be more than worth an added monthly charge.

So here is a proposal from the great unwashed and unverified. Open up the digital files on both the censorship and verification decisions under the prior management. What these pundits most fear is exposure of how Twitter was used as a Clausewitzian corporation for the continuation of politics with other means. Open the files and customers will open their wallets.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't think you understand. Social media algo's have tuned in to the ability to create discourse. Sorry, 'engagement' as you put it.

There is a very large portion of people who have no interest in stupid political discussions like 'ZOMG! ElOn GoInG tO lEt FoRiGn GoVeRnMeNtS mEdDlE iN uS pOliTiCs!!!'

Twitter and other social media apps have made the mistake of trying to create as much engagement as possible. Instead these platforms should make it easy to filter in or out hobbies and the ability to easily switch filter modes. Maybe I want to engage in basketball and I don't feel like dealing with politics.

Most people I know do not use Twitter because they either do not know how to navigate it or they get overwhelmed with all the content they have little interest in. The fact that people are more upset at excluding certain content from twitter shows you how under utilized the platform really is.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol I love it

13. dmoneybangbang

I do understand, I’m just trying to see how Twitter becomes a profitable company while trying to satisfy its “free speech” ideology.

Seems like Reddit does exactly what you want Twitter to do.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't disagree with private companies doing private things, but King made a good point - YOU should pay ME. His milkshake brings the boys to the yard. Clubs pay celebs to show up (and I guess get shot sometimes).

15. dmoneybangbang

Right….. but presumably this private company doesn’t want to lose a bunch money by losing some of its major contributors.

16. dmoneybangbang

This. Most of the folks with large followers aren’t **** tweeters. What’s in for them that they now have to pay for Twitter? Doesn’t YouTube pay its content creators?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I get that NON CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS didn't take ECONOMICS or MATH or watch CNBC
    @AroundTheWorld
    @Os Trigonum
    I am here to help you since nobody else will

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

So YouTube creators pay money and don’t receive money….? Is that what Elon and the ShamWow guy told you?

So if Stephen King is making money for Twitter, why would he pay Twitter?

Maybe a different boomer/99er can explain it to me.

#1739 dmoneybangbang, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you think your scoring points on the libs, but King isn't threatening Twitter with regulation or war, he says he's going to do exactly what your smarmy sarcasm suggests.

So we are all agreed, then?