1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol folks forgot that the first wins came last season when Wood, Gordon and Mathews cooked but okay.

Someone like Augustin played fine during a short stretch.

Roomba likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Still waiting for Garry Bird to return, but not particularly hopeful.

I do anticipate Green Buckets very soon though

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not buying the messiah angle but yeah I wish for a trade.

You can be bad but you should give us hope while losing.

Roomba likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green so far, despite his speed and athleticism, has been very jump shot oriented

u don’t really see much pace to his game…it looks like he’s doing everything at high speed, and defenders are able to time his straight line drives

so far this year he is taking 19 shots a game, and barely 3 free throw attempts a game…his free throw rate is just 17%

also only giving u 2.3 assists to 2.2 turnovers

my prediction for him this year was 22, 4, and 4 on 45/37/82 splits, so I expect more

nolimitnp, wesbound, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well said.

Green doesn’t look to have taken that next step in his game outside of scoring, and his scoring looks to have regressed in terms of his finishing ability.

It’s early but it’s concerning.

wesbound and Believe It! like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes looking good in highlights and i did 180 turn on him...he can be the new jordan or at least another ja morant....however he s not playmaker sengun/harden is... sengun is an offensive system unto himself...if given the keys he can unlock green...

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm dissapointed too. He needs to let tge game come to him. We have no offense though. KPJ is a black hooe and we aren't using Sengun correctly so not sure what we are attempting to accomplish outside of a high draft pick

mirdirir likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I really want to know if the Rockets genuinely view KPJ as the potential PG of the future or if they’re just running him at point for tanking purposes and will look to address the position in the near future

9. marinara

marinara Member

Jalen has always been iffy finishing at the rim if not dunking, he tends to get the wrong angles off the backboard or sometimes doesn’t have the right “ touch “ jaygup is better at finishing at the rim if we aren’t talking about dunking imo.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nah. You can even look at their 0-3 ft fg% from last season. Jalen was one of the highest for all NBa guards, not just rookies.

He definitely is a capable finisher who does find akward angles. He just looks really bad the first few games for some reason

marinara likes this.
  11. marinara

marinara Member

Jalen dunked a lot more than actually had layups from what I remember, misses strong a lot of the time I’m basing this on last season.

Also I am confident he will learn and get better at it I just think it’s something he should work on.

12. dmoneybangbang

Started off the first few games relatively well, but these last few games have been reminiscent of his early rookie year. He's fallen back into some bad habits, but I'm still relatively optimistic about his future.

xaos likes this.
  13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I would hope they don't but I guess when TyTy gets healthy we'll see.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden played his best in December-February, let's see if that holds true for JLen as well. It was a well-known pattern.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green will continue to figure out. It won't be entirely linear. I think the coaching is hurting him.

16. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

The nba beats you up man. I’m worry about his body holding up.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. kpdark

kpdark Member

The tank is hurting him.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He does need to escape from contact. How many times have we seen him try to force a dunk on someone to only get it blocked. Smarter plays not harder plays is the key. Watch steph curry move around screens and people to get wide open for an easy shot or an easy path to the basket. He's built to be one of the best shooters of our generation.
    There is really nothing overall crazy about GS offense nor Spurs. Just good smart team basketball to create easy shots for their players.
    A good team offense where everyone is involved even if it's just to help free the shooter or helping make that extra pass, boosts everyone's confidence.

Ancient Moabite and peleincubus like this.
  19. Chucky_Brown

Chucky_Brown Member

I remember years back, Morey mentioned how it was a common fallacy to think that NBA players always improve in year 2 (in the context of explaining why he was happy Parsons was better as a sophomore). Point being: Progress is rarely linear.

It's not time to panic after a handful of early season games. There were always going to be some rough patches this year. Let's get at least one of them out of the way early.

That said ...

... I've seen the same thing. Change of pace is more important than pure speed. Hoping Green is just pressing a little and forgetting to add some necessary guile to his game.

20. wesbound

wesbound Member

Green really does NOTHING else aside from scoring... and so far he's been pretty shitty at it.
    taking 18-19 shots a game making a tiny fraction of it and he does nothing else.
    I know it's still early in the season but it's a tad bit concerning.
    I was thinking the G league would give him a bit of a head start but I guess its all part of growing pain & hopefully he'll turn things around soon.

But seriously don't mind us tanking for 1 more year... Most rebuilding teams are stuck at the bottom for years. At least the Rockets have a nice young core to show for it.

nolimitnp likes this.