1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I woke up this morning and the Rockets still suck

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 29, 2022.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is the most pessimistic thread I’ve seen in a while, it was never realistic to expect a core of 20-22 year olds to win many games.

This is year 3 of the tank, trust the process. Another top 5 pick awaits.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Got news for you.
    When you wake up tomorrow, they will still suck.
    A month from now...
    A year from now maybe...

There. Now you know what to expect.

Corrosion and SamFisher like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I told myself at the beginning of the season that I wasn’t going to draw any conclusions in the early going. The schedule is brutal. And with a young team, we can expect stretches where it feels like we’re taking a few step backwards before taking steps forward. That can include some ugly losses.

Am I as optimistic that we’ll win 30 something games and contend for a play-in spot? No. But I also still believe we haven’t seen anywhere close to the best basketball from this group in this season.

Corrosion and aaquaa like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Recently moved into the highest paying and coolest sounding job I've had to date, but even though the job description talked of all these sexy advanced statistical analyses I would do so far it's just been "hey can you make a bar chart and put in on a PowerPoint and talk about it?" Kinda disappointing.

ElPigto and B-Bob like this.
  5. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

I will only be present at work on Monday. Does this count?

and losing does that to everyone here. Have a great weekend though boys

B-Bob likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Theres a difference between seeing wins and seeing internal development. Nobody cares about wins, but we are not seeing internal development.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So I was really discourages after seeing the box score this morning - I feel a lot better after having watched the „all posessions“ version of the game. Here are some of my thoughts on the players:

Green - it was one of those nights, when nothing falls. But this game pretty much showed again, that he is struggling when the paint is well protected. A floater really would work wonders for him. He is missing his midrange shots this year - he was really good with them last season, I hope he can find his touch soon again.

Jabari - He is struggling with his shot, but he is starting to find his 3pter at least. He is taking a lot of shots, that he hasn‘t been able to hit at a high rate in college or with the pros. Still, those are exactly the kind of shots he need to improve on if he wants to be more than a 3&D guy (fadeaways, step backs, finishing strong close to the basket) and I do believe those are all shots that he should be able to get really good at. Defensively he still looks pretty good to me. Rebounds are not his priority right now - he grabs them when he is close, but he doesn‘t chase them. I hope this changes with time.

Sengun - is it just me or does his defense looks a lot better than last year. He also doesnt take a lot of stupid fouls. And he is hitting the 3 at 37% so far. So he improved on the things that most people asked for. He is still looking for his ideal role on this team, but yesterday he did look solid.

KPJ - his stats look like the stats of an all-star - if you ignore the shooting percentages. He often maneuvers himself into bad positions and I think a lot of that is because, he predetermines what he wants to do. He needs to be able to adjust his plan, when the defense moves and try to force it less. If he kicks the ball out every time the defense collapses, his efficiency should improve a lot.

Tari - I think more than anything else he needs more minutes. It was clear that he will be a little raw and inconsistent. I hope we can trade Gordon and free up minutes for him.

So overall I see progress and a lot of stuff, that can and should be improved.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is not a matter of not getting the expected wins, as many others pointed out.

The players are disinterested, unhappy, do not act as a team, and certainly do not feel they can achieve something together. Maybe it is the frustration of losing the first few games badly, and getting slapped by the truth in their face. More likely, the environment is not one that they see themselves growing. They cannot run a single play, that would make them feel, we worked on it and now we are executing it. They can sense that the coach is clueless. KPJ and Green are very ball dominant, which is bad for them because they cannot meet the expectations, for different reasons, and which I am sure is building some tension in the team. This puts the other players off rhythm since they do not know when they are gonna get the ball. There is no reward for doing the correct things on the court, and I suspect everything is random anyway.

There is a lot of talent, at this point I think it is the best for our peace of mind to stop evaluating everything before we get a new coach.

ps. I did not watch the game last night

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so you expect sengun to play good defense now when he was punished by being denied playing time and significant role for doing exactly that to start the season last year?

see how tanking messes with your head?

@Ankara1923
    @AroundTheWorld
    @Denovo
    @LeDakota
    @aaquaa

albuster, aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean This shouldn’t be a surprise or a shock. It’s a 20 win team still. Of course they’re gonna suck

oh I guess those threads about play in nonsense were supposed to be accurate. Nah

harold bingo likes this.
  11. SummitKid83

SummitKid83 Member

Oh lord.All that is too much right now.Look at what we are and where we are as a franchise.Exactly where we should be.Trust the process.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you are 100% wrong and loser mentality...if sengun is given keys this is a playoffs team at least if not hc

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

What internal improvement. You added more kids to kids. The internal improvement comes from continuity and them being able to play together. This isn’t the same team. Guys are in different roles this year and playing in different spots

Corrosion likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

trust the proces? lolol look what happened to philly and they are about to start another 5 years 'process'...lolololol helo brain! wake up!

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Hahah LOL at sengun being the one to lead a team into the playoffs. Such nonsense

Im 100 % right. That’s why you’ve been whining for years trying to tell other folks they’re wrong. And you’re still trying to do so

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I watched the first four games in their entirety, the one after only one half and today I thought "god I shouldn't" and closed after one minute.

This team is just so brutal to watch, I'm taking my league pass talents to Orlando and actual fun to watch teams for now until I hear about some kind of change.

PeterKingX and B-Bob like this.
  17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don't know. I see an organization that does not look professionally run at any level. Being 20 win team is irrelevant in that perspective.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

It isn’t irrelevant. 20 wins team suck and that’s what the rockets are. A team consisted of kids. No surprise. Just because you have squares and homers talking about play in and over 24 wins doesn’t make the expectations any different in reality

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I am that guy that perpetually thinks Jeff Van Gundy is the right coach for this team, no matter how long it's been since he coached, and no matter who is on the roster.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It’s not about a loss.

It’s about the Rockets still suck.

You can’t see the hope from the loss.

hakeem94 and Ankara1923 like this.