1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henry Cavill will no longer be Superman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

DC comics have been darker than Marvel for a good long while. I remember reading some back in the early 80's and being repelled as a kid by the cursing and people dying. This is one of the reasons why I preferred Marvel at the time, it just wasn't as gritty. One of the best selling comics of all time is Death of Superman.

Ziggy and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually have Superman in my top 5 comic movies because of the destruction, that's what i want in a comic book movie.

I wish Marvell would do things more darker.

I then I realize nothing can be darker than wiping out half of the universe. LOL.

clos4life, Slyonebluejay and Xerobull like this.
  3. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Man of Steel is a great action movie and I love the way the super people are portrayed as god-like. It seems really ‘realistic’ for them to be so Uber.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Lar

Lar Member

Look, @jiggyfly , it's clear you disagree with me. If Snyder's vision is what you value in a Superman movie, cool. You are every bit as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, and a debate over whose opinion is right here isn't really going to accomplish much. I wish you much enjoyment with MoS, BvS, and ZSJL for years to come.

For my part, I do hope that Superman will veer away from what I saw as lacking in heart and humanity, because I think that a return to the classic character--the one Christopher Reeve said should be above all else "a friend"--would be a step in the right direction and one that would better fit the zeitgeist.

Again, my opinion. Peace to you and yours.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, the lack of joy, or happiness, or anything pleasant was just a complete turn off from what I want from Supes. All of the other issues I had with the movie could have been overlooked.

Snyder clearly has people that love his style, I hate it, at least for Superman. If you want to go dark places with the subject matter, then work your way up to it first.

Lar likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

DC>>>>>Marvel for me when I was younger which is my I’ve been so disappointed

I didn’t even know what a Black Widow, Ant-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Dr Strange, Wanda, etc even was until the MCU

But Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Martian, Flash, Lex Luther, Joker, and others?

[​IMG]

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I thought the Man of Steel movie back in 2012 was ok…like a 7/10

scenes like this were pretty dope

it was the Justice League movie that completely turned me off…that sh*t was HORRIBLE…from the casting to the “script”…my god

they had the nerve to have a 3 hour Snyder cut too…

stuff like Ezra Miller as the Flash just wasn’t doing it for me…Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luther? Tf?!? His dialogue was so awful they were trolling me at that point.

the whole universe they were trying to establish was so rushed it was garbage

8. Xerobull

Supporting Member

This is what I was talking about- if nothing else, Snyder kills it on action scenes. This is how Superman and the other Kryptons should fight on Earth, just blurs of motion and massive strength. It's all really badass.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Whoa it's been a decade... they better hurry up before Henry ages out.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dark Superman.
    Friendly Superman.

It doesn't matter as long as the story is good.

That Injustice video game had an evil Superman and the story was DOPE.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

1BAFF29F-AF2D-415B-BF28-BFE5AD9104D9.gif

I keed I keed

Ziggy and Xerobull like this.
  12. CCorn

CCorn Member

That’s the story I want to see. Looks like that what Snyder was planning at the end of the Snyder cut.

Ziggy and GRENDEL like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stuff like this is why I liked it as well and I might have given it 7.5 not saying it was great but very satisfying.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And that's why I never understood why people had issues with the destruction, it's what I want from a comic action/adventure movie.
    I have no problem with how you feel, I'm sorry for coming on so strong, it had nothing to do with you personally, sometimes I come across much more forcefully than intended.

This is just about Superman I understand the issues with the other movies, I am not some DC fan boy.

It's interesting that you also think Superman was lacking in heart and humanity, when I think it's been one of the better movies portraying that,

At the end of the day I want to be challenged on how I feel and what I am seeing because I can miss things or I can look at things through somebody else's eyes.

I have to ask what do you mean by above all else be a friend and what zeitgeist?

Who was this Superman, not a friend too?

Lar and Xerobull like this.
  15. Lar

Lar Member

I appreciate your comments and perspective, thank you for those @jiggyfly . My perspective is of one who grew up with Reeve’s Superman—whom you never doubted cared about the people he was rescuing on an individual level, saving them with a smile—unlike with Cavill, from whom in Snyder's movies I always got the sense that he felt having to save the populace of Metropolis and Earth was just the overwhelming burden required of a godlike figure (maybe making the Jesus metaphor of having a cross to bear a bit too on-the-nose). It sounds as though that is about to change in the next movie where Cavill himself has promised an “enormously joyful” Superman. I promise, I would love nothing more! I hope the new movie lives up to this promise. We will see, for sure.

#115 Lar, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  16. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

oops...wrong thread.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Beezy

Beezy Member

18. Blake

Blake Member

Invisible Fan and clos4life like this.
  19. clos4life