1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3728877/2022/10/26/jalen-green-rockets-iko/

[…]

Per Synergy tracking, Green is allowing .818 points per 100 possessions, good for the 48th percentile — or “average” by Synergy’s standards. Green isn’t going to become an All-NBA defender tomorrow or this season, but the steady improvement is exactly what you want to see from a rebuilding and development standpoint. He’s been able to hold his own.

Green's Most Common Matchups
    PLAYER | TEAM | % TIME DEFENDED BY GREEN | PERFORMANCE | TOV
    Trae Young | Atlanta Hawks | 46.7 | 1-for-9 shooting, 2 PTS | 0
    Ja Morant | Memphis Grizzlies | 40 | 0-for-3 shooting, 2 PTS | 0
    Grayson Allen | Milwaukee Bucks | 41.6 | 1-for-4 shooting, 4 PTS | 0
    Jordan Clarkson | Utah Jazz | 39.4 | 2-for-5 shooting, 5 PTS | 2

Coming into Monday night’s game against Utah, the winless Rockets were desperate to get their season off the ground. It was a sloppy affair, with 36 combined turnovers, 45 missed 3s and a herky-jerky 48-minute bout. There needed to be a turning point. Watch as Mike Conley waits for the switch with the game hanging in the balance and the Jazz down by two, needing a bucket. He gets the matchup he thinks he wants, the drive he wants and the angle. Green is able to use his lateral quickness and upper-body strength to disrupt Conley enough to fling a wild pass and turn the ball over, courtesy of Porter.

Vid

“He’s really working hard on it,” Silas said. “He knows it’s something that he needs to work on, and we’ve been not hiding him this season. Last season, early on, we would put him on a guy who would be spaced, and now we’re putting him on the ball a little more. He’s using his quickness and ability to get over screens and use his anticipation. He’s doing better with it.”

Green’s ability to avoid screens as Silas noted is helpful, especially as a young player. Green isn’t going to be on any scouting reports right now as someone to watch defensively so naturally, veteran players will target him. One reason the Rockets are hovering around the top 10 in rebounds is that they’ve tweaked their approach, sending more to the glass, but also their big men are able to stay closer to the rim. Green is showing his quickness and footwork isn’t just for highlight reels; his recovery speed is necessary for dealing with craftier players.

Vid

2. xaos

xaos Member

Off to a great start doing what he came into the league to do - score

3. conquistador#11

Saw people talking about the worst game Green played was vs the Jazz. I only counted 4 bad plays on offense and 3 help and got lost on defense.

On offense, the one that bothered me the most was the Curry shot, where he heads back as soon as he released the shot.
    2nd, the not wanting to fight for the ball when being the recipient of a lazy pass. He always does that. Business decision I guess. He threw 2 lazy passes himself but turnovers happen.

The Green Revolution is being televised.

Caesar, clos4life, xaos and 2 others like this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[Lowe] 10 things: the filthy Ja Morant, the banishment of the stupidest NBA rule and, well ... the Nets

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

If Jalen adds a floater like Ja, he will cease being guardable.

DeBeards likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yung-T and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only Dame has a positive winning record interestingly.

Yung-T and xaos like this.
  10. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Is it just me or does it seem like Jalen is in his head about something..

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You a psychiatrist?

12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen revolved so far that he went 360 degrees and is now playing bad again.

No problem, he's athletic enough to turn it into a 540--and then we'll be back on track

DeBeards likes this.
  13. Risingred

Risingred Member

Can't vote. There's no 10-19 wins option.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Green didn't have a good game tonight (against Blazers) 21% FG. The whole league leading ISO heavy may not be a good thing.

Can the coach run some non-iso plays for Jalen, let him get some easy baskets.

In a meat heavy meal; still should have some vegetables in the diet.

DeBeards likes this.
  15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Might be missing Bruno_Otherwise he will not get willingful screens anymore, neither from argued jabari nor from discarded Alpi.

16. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Jalen has to stop playing like how Kobe played in his last season. You don’t have to do ISO every single position.

17. riko

riko Member

More like a sedition

LeDakota and DeBeards like this.
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is this offense was built for Luka's and Harden's of the NBA. It is very Iso Heavy. I may not like the guy but Mark Jackson might be the guy we need to develop these guys. Get these guys to move without the ball, cut and set strong screens for each other. Everyone is involved in the offense even if they don't have the ball in their hands. Get some plays that Reggie Miller used to do, move without the ball and catch and shoot.

bmelo and LeDakota like this.
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don‘t know if he is leading the league in ISO posessions - he is leading the league (or was, I don‘t know how the numbers are now) in ISO effectiveness. So I don‘t think he was running the most ISO plays, but when he did, he averaged 1.7 points per try which means, he scored almost every time. So that definetly is a good thing.

But I do agree that we need to be better at creating open shots. I would really like to see some off the ball screens and more kick outs overall with this team.

20. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Agreed and Jalen is neither Luka nor Harden. Has to diversify his game, too much dependence on ISO shots makes him easily defendable. I would love to see improvements on driving to the rim besides being a run and gun guy in open field. Mental development is also very critical. I find him super passive, especially during times when the team needs him the most. No need to escape from contact that much. Physical players also force him losing his rhythm. We certainly need more than “let me color my nails” ;)

#160 LeDakota, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022