1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Shoutout to @Castor27

He waited 4 days to begin thread

Anticipation incomed

Let's get another championship!!

Tfor3, whiskeyred, red5rocket and 3 others like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The more I dig into this the more I love this Astros team.

The top 5, and 6 of 9 Phillies starters Strikeout over 21% of the time. Verlander is a Strikeout pitcher

( FYI- Altuve, Yordan, Bregman, Tucker, and Yuli all K less than 19%)

Still gotta play and the Astros are 0 Fer at home in the World Series but that ends today.

Houstunna and everyday eddie like this.
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Yahoo Sports has been filled with negative articles on the Astros for days.

4. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

National media: The Astros will have to face Wheeler and Nola four times.

Me: The Phillies will have to face the entire Astros staff all of the time. :)

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. conquistador#11

I think we all respect Philly and what they've done after the firing of their manager, very 2005 Astros.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The fact that you care about trash cans at this point in time says more about you than anything else.

Finally win one of these?

Do you think we only won because of trashcans?

I'm sorry, but this has to be said, that's a loser's way of looking at things.

If a fan of the Astros is still caring about trashcans, you are doing it wrong.

crose likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I don't "care" about trashcans; I am just saying that's what everyone else will say about the Astros if they lose this one, right? "4 WS appearances and they only won the one where they cheated."

Phillies are a great team and they are a tough matchup for sure; I can be rational and still like a team. I don't want to just wear homer glasses and be like Dallas sportsradio and be biased all the time

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been seeing a lot of positive stories about the Astros. A lot of stories that are "We know they cheated but this is a great team.,,"

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't take this personally but why do you care what everyone else is saying?

That makes me think you think the trashcans actually have something to do with the winning.

The Patriots have been accused of cheating multiple times, yet everybody still thinks they are probably the greatest dynasty of all time in football.

What does homer glasses have to do with anything?

Its bad juju to bring any of that **** up IMO it has jack **** to with this series.

Anyway I am done with this topic I just don't like having that **** brought up in this thread it has nothing to do with this team you are doing the very thing you don't want other people to do and it's not like those people will think anything has changed.

#50 jiggyfly, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  11. Radricky

Radricky Member

Is 11:00 am too early to start drinking?

conquistador#11 and J.R. like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

A question that has Astros players divided: Is Houston already a dynasty?

HOUSTON — Over and over, Alex Bregman was peppered with the same questions. Lance McCullers and Jose Altuve were asked multiple times, too.

For the remaining members of the 2017 Astros, a group that also includes Yuli Gurriel and Justin Verlander, do they need to win this year’s World Series to be considered a dynasty? Are they already?

With the Astros on the precipice of the organization’s fourth World Series appearance in six years, would winning another ring finally silence the critics and erase some of the stench of the 2017 title — still celebrated in Houston — that’s now synonymous with the sign-stealing scandal?

“Yes,” Gurriel said through an interpreter. “Through the last couple years (since ’17) you see what the Astros are able to accomplish. We are a good team, but of course winning the title (this year) would help.”

And yet they’ve won just one title, losing in seven games in 2019 to the Washington Nationals and in six games last year to the Atlanta Braves. It probably creates a borderline “dynasty” case for an Astros era that is filled with success, controversy, and some World Series failure.

As a result, not every single player’s definition of dynasty fits the same. It’s subjective even for players who have been teammates for years and years.

“I don’t think we see it that way,” Altuve said when posed the question. “I think we see that every year we’re different.”

Then there’s catcher Martín Maldonado, who has played with the Astros for all or parts of the past five seasons.

“Yes, of course,” Maldonado said when asked that same question. “We embrace each other. We embrace winning.”

Then there are others with more nuanced answers. Down the middle. Seeing things with a lot of perspective and not just yes or no.

“I think dynasties are judged by championships, and unfortunately we’ve lost two in this run,” McCullers said. “We’ve dominated a pretty unique era of baseball, an analytical age, an age where teams are able to identify who they want and how they want to construct their rosters. … From ’17 on, we’ve had a really dominant stretch. And so I think a World Series title would help kind of solidify us as an organization as a team that could go up against other great teams of other generations, I think it’s hard to compare that, like people (in the NBA) the big debate (is) ‘Oh, MJ (Michael Jordan) or LeBron (James)?’ It’s just they’re the best of their eras. I think in the 2010s, kind of stretching, maybe that (San Francisco) Giants team. But yeah, I think we’ve been one of the best teams. In the recent past. I think we’ve had a great run. And I think we need to win this one.”

By dynasty standards, a second ring would certainly help make Houston’s case. That Giants team McCullers referenced won three World Series in five years, starting in 2010. Houston’s dominance right now more closely matches the 1990s Braves, who went to five World Series that decade and won just once, in 1995.

“I mean, how could you not,” Verlander said when asked if this team should be viewed as a dynasty. “I sure would like to cement another championship to really drive that point home, and here we are with a chance to do that. But, yeah, we’ve obviously been one of the best franchises in the history of the game since this run we’ve been on.”

“2019 was unbelievable. The team was insane,” Bregman said. “Every team is different, every year is different. … Looking back, I don’t know if there’s (a best team). I think winning the World Series makes you at that level.”

When asked, though, if he believed the Astros to be a dynasty, he made it clear that question couldn’t yet be answered. And even if it could, Bregman was uncomfortable being the one deciding. “I don’t like this,” the third baseman responded, preferring to defer to the immediate present.

“I think we’ve got to win this series,” Bregman said.

It took Ryan Pressly a moment to make a commitment with his answer. He’s been with the Astros since 2018 and the closer since 2020. He’s played in three World Series and has had an immeasurable impact on the team’s undefeated postseason.

But, at first, he wasn’t quite sure whether he wanted to classify the Astros’ run in that singular word.

“Yeah, I mean, I don’t know what you classify as a dynasty,” he said. “All I know is this team is really good. And I’ve been a part of some really good teams.

But Pressly was pressed on it. The purpose of the question was to know if he — not anyone else — believes his team’s success deserves to be in that special category of elite dominance over a long period.

After mulling that over, he had his answer.

“I think that this is a dynasty,” Pressly said. “I think that this team has the makings of just being better and better every single year. It’s fun to be a part of, and hopefully we can top it all off with a World Series ring.”

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

...or is it too late? ;)

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don’t think this plays a role in anything but I’ll take it!!

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

For whatever reason, this never gets mentioned but the Astros in 2017 scandal always does. It sucks that people look the other way for that and not this especially when numerous people have come out and said everyone steals signs

everyday eddie and jiggyfly like this.
  16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I'm anxious about the fact that I'm not very anxious about this WS. Every other previous WS I've been a nervous wreck. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Tfor3 and IBTL like this.
  17. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Nerves at an all time high.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The Patriots won 6 Titles in 20 years. No matter how many alleged cheating scandals, that amount of winning will take the narrative. It is the most Super bowls by any franchise.

If the Astros had won 3 WR in 5 years and were going for 4 of 6 right now, the scandal wouldn't matter anymore. The only reason it still has any staying power in the national media, is because that is the only year the Astros won.

Scarface281 likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And this will as well, the only difference is this has happened in the internet age.

20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Been waiting for this thread all week!

Tfor3, Chasing_Chase and CheezeyBoy22 like this.