1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Eric Gordon Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2022.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

oh they would, but not for our trash

theDude likes this.
  2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pelinka needs to use the ‘27 and/or ‘29 picks to improve the team now. If not, he’s not going to be around to actually use them as picks. Why preserve them for someone else?

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Because they’ll be able to get something good for them. Why throw them away for garbage?

theDude likes this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If he was smart he would just trade Lebron. There is no chance this team can be a contender even if they use both picks to make a trade. They seem to be like 3-4 pieces away not one.

5. theDude

Supporting Member

I’m not suggesting he use them on Gordon, but I don’t believe him if he says he’s not using them at all. If he rides out this Westbrook debacle, he’ll likely be fired at year’s end.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

srsly just trade him already

he checked out ages ago

Nook likes this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

oh i have no doubt they'll use the picks ya

theDude likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

For who? They should be sellers & blow the whole thing up.

Corrosion and theDude like this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So true. They should Trade AD too, stockpile picks and cap room. The Lakers need to rebuild that broken situation.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I totally agree they should blow it up (lebron can’t be traded during the season though), but we don’t know yet who will be available later on

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really don't believe that they had any legit offers that included a first round pick last year.

When you look at how difficult his contract was to move and the fact that the Rockets had no open roster spots to do a 2 for 1 deal or they would have had to cut a player to make that happen.

Had there been a workable offer that included a #1 pick that didn't wreck the cap beyond this season, they'd have taken it, even if it was the last pick in the round.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I hate that he's getting minutes here but they have to hang onto him and try to move him between now and the deadline, being that he's the only sizable contract they have, if some star comes available .... to make a mid season acquisition.
    If there's no deal by the deadline, I think it almost certain that he'll get bought out / released and go sign somewhere for the minimum.

astrosrule likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it quite possible ownership put the clamps on any deals involving those picks. That's the only reason I can see them hanging onto them now rather than putting them to use to improve the roster.

They will only have 4 players under contract next season with a price tag of $91,806,609 (AD & Lebron account for $86.9m) which leaves them about $35m short of the cap (IF Lebron stays). They could conceivably sign a single player with their cap space (minus incomplete roster charges) , then use their MLE on another player .... and finally fill out the roster with minimum players.

theDude likes this.
  14. riko

riko Member

The Melton trade idea is laughable. The Sixers are not trading him. He is a defensive stud with a reliable three point shot. He has been pretty good for them . They value him highly

15. theDude

Supporting Member

You’re probably right about ownership putting a lock on those picks. They probably can’t improve the team any more than they would just holding off a good going there free agency route.

In free agency, they probably figure they can get one of either D’Angelo Russell or Draymond. I guess then they just have to weigh that against what Westbrook and a pick would bring back. There may be some legitimate players that become available later on, but free agency may be the better option, provided they don’t mind just throwing this year away.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Lakers let Kobe have his farewell 2 seasons to score as many points as he possible could as an older player.

They're just going to do the same thing for LeBron this season and then reasses. They don't care about losing - so what if they miss the playoffs? Who would be shocked if they magically got the #2 pick in the draft so they could take Scoot Henderson?? (#1 would be too obvious)

17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

NOP owns thier picks till 2026 so luckily there's no chance for any voodoo happening. I'd be absolutely overjoyed if they trade the 27 and 29 picks. No one they can get will save them and they'll just screw their future till the end of the decade for nothing. That's what happens when you sign a schmuck with no FO experience as your GM just to kiss up to your former star who's already retired.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

After watching the first part of this season I never saw a moment were Gordon was the in the top 4 players in game. He is an average player at best. Most teams don’t give much for average. The timing for a trade is gone.

theDude likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

They don’t have their pick this season. The Pelicans have it.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  20. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Correct. Seems mentally off…maybe retirement soon.