1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith: Know Your Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Oct 25, 2022.

1. dawesome

dawesome Member

Never seen a rookie got mad to a teammate only in his fourth game in. Adding to that, he got mad to a teammate who seems to talk nice....hmmm...

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What they are arguing about is almost certainly the play right before the time-out for the coaches challenge.

On that play Green is guarding Clarkson at the top of the key, Clark's blows by and Smith shows help then steps away (matador style). Fair enough if hr had 5 fouls.

The clip seems to show Smith initiating the discussion with Jalen. Probably along the lines of not getting blown by.
    Perhaps Jalen responds with step in and take the charge
    Smith wasn't in position to get there, so perhaps flagged he had 5 fouls
    Ends with Jalen saying something like if you could just get a rebound - this is the big time now
    Smith flares up - possibly because his defensive intensity is being challenged

Game continues
    Neither makes a big deal later

I'd also assume Lucas spoke to Smith about it in the locker room later. That seems to be Lucas's role
    Good learning experience and hopefully nothing more than that

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

this is going to be Jabari's team sooner than I thought , I like it

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF should anybody care whose team it is?

And what has Smith done to deserve his own team?

I just don't understand todays fandom and why anyone would think like this?

SMDH.

Ekiu likes this.
  5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Because people want a team that actually tries to defend. After a decade of harden making no effort then eventually minimum effort, people don't want another 10 years of it.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So people don't want a contending team and just will be happy with a team that tries hard.

Da ****?

Do you even here yourself?

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Thanks. I've been looking for that link for a while. It used to be under the "players" section.

So who's scored much on Green through the first 4 games? The most he's allowed to any player is 7 pts to Malik Beasley. He did a very good job on Ja Morant, Trae Young, Dejaunte Murray, Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday.

As for Harden, he wasn't ever as bad of a defender as people made out. He'd certainly have a play every now and then when he completely fell asleep, but that infamous video aggregated a bunch of those plays and everyone assumed that he was doing that on every play and was giving up tons of points. That simply wasn't true.

Now, the big difference between Green and Harden is that Harden always took the worst offensive player on the opposing team ( probably should have said "best matchup for him" as he often took a decent post scorer because he was so good defending the post). That's why we needed guys like Tucker and Covington who could guard bigs and smalls. We don't do that with Green. He usually takes the faster of the two opposing guards.
    He's so quick that he can stay in front of most anyone. That's why his isolation defense was in the 98th percentile last year. His speed also allows him to make up a bunch of ground when he does get beat.

If you go look at the matchup data from the first four games, the interesting stat is that Green holds his man to very few shot attempts. I assume that's because he's so good at staying in front of people. When he's playing the Trae Young's and Ja Morant's and they aren't going off then I'm satisfied.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Well, firstly it's "hear", and no I don't since this is text.

Contending teams are always in the top 10 on defense. But you knew that since you're a genius and everyone else is stupid.

charlieaustin likes this.
  9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is pretty much it. I don't know if the lack of plays is intentional or not, but the current style of bb makes Kevin McHale look a Popovich disciple. When you have Silas impressing on the players that there is no such thing as a loss, and the owner still wanting a high draft pick, one is left to wonder wtf is going on here.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So are you trying to say the Rockets were not contenders?

Really?

Everyone is not stupid but you sure seem to be.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I never said the rockets weren't contenders previously. When they were they were in the top 10 on defense. I've been on this forum for like 15 years before you knew it was existed, so I've definitely watched enough of them to know when they're good or not.

People want the team to be a top defensive team. That's it, that's the point you're not getting.

You're hella aggro, maybe you should put your phone down for awhile and do some meditation.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What does this have to do with Jalen?

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Smith is a better defender already. I like that he's vocalizing his opinions.

They asked why "whose team" it is was important. It isn't, but I think it's pretty much understood that green is the guy, and rightfully so.

If Jabari has an issue with how a defensive play went down, it probably should still be considered.
    Anyway no one outside the team knows what was said unless they were close to the bench.

I personally don't care about how any of them feel about each other as long as they play well together and the rockets eventually become contenders.

BigM likes this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

You're right. It is.

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Is it?

palmsnbananas likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

These guys may grow to like each other, but it’s clear they aren’t all that tight.
    It’s clear Jabari wanted to be number 1 and go to Orlando. Pretty sure Houston was an afterthought.

There was a lot of Paolo and Rockets flirting.

When asked about players who would potentially be Rockets well before the draft Jalen omitted Jabari while mentioning other top prospects.

After the draft it took a while for Jalen and other Rockets players to acknowledge Jabari as their new teammate on social Media.

Eventually Jalen made a post welcoming Jabari.

I don’t say this to say that they have an issue with each other, but just that they don’t appear to be that close and your patience is probably thinner with someone you don’t consider a friend.

aaquaa, beardsanity713 and larry cook like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jalen wanted Banchero or Ivey. His reallll friends.

Jabari will be traded….

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Should have gotten mad at KPJ instead.