1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

It's insane to me that he is arguable the best player on the team, (at the very least top two)

But he gets an immense amount of hatred. Meanwhile average players like Sengun get praised as if they are living legends.

KPJ is averaging 21 points, 7 rebounfs, and 6 assists (which is tied for third),

And he's what? 22-23 years old? Please help me understand why he cannot be a PG

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He tends to have tunnel vision. Yesterday he was iso'ing to death, granted we got the win, but the flow of the game is just terrible. You have Jabari Smith that will be a great shooter in this league and Jalen Green that is also an incredibly talented scorer, and KPJ is having a hard time distributing to those guys.

He is the PG and currently the team is not moving the ball much. It starts with him.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For the most part it's player first or player only fans worried that his shine will upstage their guy.... which is of course stupid, but player first and player only fans are never the sharpest peanuts in the turd

4. xaos

xaos Member

What are you reading about him that makes you feel that way?

DeBeards, aaquaa, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun is not an "average player".

Let me return the question to you - how is it that the few "KPJ only fans" like yourself and your original account/namesake, Bobbythesmall, maj21, Dobbizzle (I think that's almost all of them, maybe also marinara - we are really talking about only a handful of very vocal posters here) can never praise KPJ without saying something bad about Alpi?

On KPJ - he is athletic, a GREAT catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter, a good rebounder for a guard, when he tries, he is actually a good on-ball defender, and he seems to have greatly improved his attitude, as far as one can tell from the outside. These are all positives.

What I find frustrating watching him is just when he either doesn't see the open man, or worse, sees him, and instead of passing, deliberately drives into a packed paint or jacks up a bad shot. When I see that, and when I see it again and again and again and again, then I get annoyed.

I don't get mad if he misses a shot or if he turns the ball over once in a while. It's more the fact that he doesn't really make others better, which is the number one thing I expect from a point guard. Instead, it seems like he doesn't really allow anyone else, other than perhaps Jalen and a rim-runner like Fernando, to get into a flow.

But perhaps the frustration should really be more with the coaching staff than with him. The evidence is painfully obvious - he is much better off the ball. He should not be controlling the ball for nearly as long as he does, every game. Even his shooting drastically gets worse the longer he has the ball.

Talented for sure, but not used in the right way.

#5 AroundTheWorld, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    cml750, Houstunna, Scarface and 25 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It takes TIME as a PG to learn where your teamates want or need the ball to be successful. And right now, the Rockets are not exactly moving off the ball into open space to make themselves and available target to help KPJ - nope he has to do it all, beat 2 men to the basket and create for everyone else on the floor with the exception of Green who does the exact same thing.

No one is setting picks, or screens on or off the ball, no one is moving to the FT line extended ala Scola to free themselves up, no pick and pop - nothing.

It must be incredibly hard to be either Green or KPJ right now on this team and for some reason people focus on the 22 year old who has sacrificed his entire game to move to the PG position and has only played it a year.

We should be celebrating how much better he is getting - added a floater - much better FT%, still a great catch and shoot guy, has been constent with his passing, but not many are hitting shots - I count 13 in the last 2 games that were wide open shots he created that were bricked....

KPJ is doing not fine.....BUT FANTASTIC at what he is being asked to do, and we should all enjoy his and the team's growth.

The passing will get better as familiarity rises. Try to enjoy the growth, it is there to see if you look honestly.

DD

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So KPJ who is shooting better all around than Smith should be deferring to Smith, because?

Eve if all this is true still why the hate? Everybody on this team needs to work on things but for some reason most think KPJ should be on the bench.

Sonicbun8 and DaDakota like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Your right Alpi at this point is a below average player.

All the metrics prove it and Alpi is my favorite on the team.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't win championships with players like KPJ.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tunnel vision. You have a team full of youngster with potential, but due to kpj inability to control the offense it looks like a discombulated cluster fk where the players aren't properly utilized.

Kpj has ball handles and great scoring abilities but lack a lot of passing skills
    There's little to no alley oops, there's no easy buckets for folks, no touchdown passes. It just messy and ugly offense where we will lose more often than not. A lot of Iso from kpj and not a lot of fluid ball movement.

There r some folks who still can't forgive him for quitting on the team.

The kpj fans like to praise him as the best player on the team yet we are still losing. Pg is basically the captain of the ship, hence the critics. I figure if we go on a hot win streak the critics of kpj would lessen.

Houstunna, albuster, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Cuz he dribbled way too much and never finds or feeds the hot hand. It's almost like he doesn't want anyone to take his spotlight so he just decides to freeze people out of the offense that are having good games..

When we traded for KPJ most people probably didn't care. But there was soo much excitement when we draft Green and Jabari. So having to watch an offense centered around KPJ is frustrating for some fans because it seems to be stunting the development of our young guys with more upside..

If Sengun had the minutes and usage rate of KPJ he would blow those numbers out the water. He's already out producing KPJ this season and he barely gets any touches.

Sengun has him beat in every single advanced metric by a mile. How you don't see his impact when he plays is on you.

aaquaa, albuster, Richie_Rich and 9 others like this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's selfish and a losing player. He's ok off the bench. Intelligent fans see that

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not hating on KPJ. Jabari will end up being a better shooter than KPJ. I'm not saying defer to him, I'm saying to stop missing him wide open half the time. KPJ is the PG and he needs to better at controlling the flow of the game and having ball movement. I'm not a fan of KPJ the PG but I am a fan of the player.

14. Mattician

Mattician Member

It's just not fun watching him play the PG most of the time.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's what you are. Too stupid to see your hero KPJ just isn't really good

Jayzers_100, LeDakota, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Show us some metrics then, and be prepared to be proven wrong.

aaquaa likes this.
  17. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

just troll account, put on ignore. if stats alon meant anything, Wood would make this team a contender. If u r the only one with hammer in a coal mine, of course you will get most coal, while the village dies of lack of heating since you suck DD! :D

aaquaa, albuster and Stephen_A like this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Harden do the same thing but even more so? Harden also turned the ball over more.

Sonicbun8 and NewAge like this.
  19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you seriously just compare KPJ to a future HOFer?

20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

interesting, look who showed up to defend the OP lol! DDDDD :p All Garuba, Alp, and Bruno does is screens on or off the ball, so i wont read the rest of your BS.