1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Oct 25, 2022.

?

Jabari Smith Jr: What is his ideal role?

1. Center

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Power Forward

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Wing

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I always viewed him as a PF, but he looked quite capable tonight at center.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did you see how he looked against the Bucks though?

He’s long and active but incredibly weak right now, his ass might even be a whole foot higher then tall bottom Mobley.

He’s got a long way to go before he’s going to be able to consistently hold his position against league average PFs.

His offense for the C spot would obviously be great, but our defense needs a stronger player until a day comes when Smith has a much stronger frame

3. kiwirocketsfan

When he gets a grown man’s body, he’ll be the closer at C.

He’ll probably start at PF though.

Joe Joe and maj21 like this.
  4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Needs at least 25 lbs of muscle to adequately play center. Bari's body could easily gain that much weight, and still keep his agility.

maj21 likes this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I see young Jabari's role as a supercharged glue-guy (for lack of a better term) who can guard four positions at the very least and space the floor with the best of them. What I was a little surprised to see is that Jabari already looks more comfortable putting the ball on the floor compared to just a few months ago and if he develops that part of his game, in the words of Michael Jordan: the ceiling is the roof.

With how hard he works and his physical tools, it's hard not to see him being a star someday.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. Asian Sensation

Once he completes the Giannis transformation he can be like 7ft, run, dunk and shoot.

7. fattz

fattz Member

The cornerstone of the franchise

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He will Never be anything close to Giannis. Y’all gotta stop doin this.

9. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Same has Markkenen, just give him time.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Tell me you didn't watch rookie Giannis without telling me you didn't watch rookie Giannis.

pmac and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I lived in Milwaukee so don’t tell me didn’t watch him. I watched him before he even came
    To the USA and wanted us to draft him when he was jsut a teenager.

I repeat Jabari will never ever be anything close to Giannis. He doesn’t have his down line or lateral
    Movement. You can’t develop that part of dribbling at the pro’s.

doesn’t mean Giannis can’t be a good player but him
    And Gianni’s are. On different planet

jiggyfly, xaos and Ekiu like this.
  12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yeah, that drive all the way from the right corner towards the center for a layup was pretty good. Pretty sure he is working on his handles.

Roomba likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

handling the ball from the top and distributing

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3/4 interchangeable with Tari
    2 Jalen
    5 Alpi
    1 some PG who finds the open man

ilias likes this.
  15. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Giannis had some very crafty handles and some crazy "Magic" like passes his rookie year, between the legs, hezi, euro-steppin and crossing people.

Kidd came in his second year and changed him to a guard before proclaiming Giannis future position is that of a PG.

I'm sorry but Giannis and Jabari are completely different play styles. Jabari isn't as fluid, athletic or comfortable with the ball in his hands. And Giannis can not shoot the ball like Jabari.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

His ideal role would be a Chris Bosh type PF with an even better 3 ball and switching defense.

jiggyfly and ilias like this.
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We’ll never know for sure because neither player did all the combine measurements, but looking at their frames I think there’s zero comparison.

Mobley:
    [​IMG]

Jabari:
    [​IMG]

Mobley plays great defense through anticipation and superior footwork, but make no mistake he’s closer to Chet in terms of his disproportionately long shins/forelegs. It’s like he plays on stilts.

Jabari is more balanced in his frame. His longer quads/hind legs allow him to get lower to the ground and to have clearly superior lateral movement and reaction speeds on the pivot. And it gives him much more potential for adding muscle to his frame. I don’t mean to compare their games or levels of play, but one guy is closer to a John Henson build while the other is more like Marcus Camby. Sprinkle in some HGH and testosterone and that’s how Giannis happens. We all know the NBA turns a blind eye to it.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ideal role now or in the future?

Right now, I think he'd be best as a small forward. He moved his feet really well and can stay in front of wing players. He's also long for a 3 which gives him an advantage.

Currently, he's going to have issues with stronger inside players. We saw how he got torched by Collins in the opener ( 16 pts on 77.8% FG% when guarded by Smith).

To me, Eason is more suited to battle inside than Smith right now. I'd play Tari at the 4 and Smith at the 3.

As Smith develops more strength then he'll be better suited to play the 4 or 5. Right now, it depends a lot on matchups. If the opposing bigs aren't physical players then he's fine inside. If they are physical then he can get over powered.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The Jabari Smith Conspiracy!

Isnt it interesting when shooters MAKE more shots - they will get a chance to TAKE more shots or nah too surface level? :D:D

He's a BIG by the way. Center/Power Forward is interchangeable in todays game.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Elite 3 & D who can guard guys like KD, Lebron, Tatum, Giannis, Luka type dudes

I don’t ever think he’ll be creating his own shot at a elite level and dominate offensively that way

That’s why I think the organization is holding onto KPJ because they want another guard who can put the ball in the hole like Green