1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No all I'm doing is calling out your weird ass way of justifying kpj at running the offense when he's clearly bad at it.

Kpj is only 22 he is still young so give him time to learn the role.
    Green is not yet ready. Green is even younger.

Kpj development won't b hinder learning a new role. Oh no Green isn't ready it might hinder his development.

U are literally doing what u are accusing folks of doing. Faux justification on why only kpj should run our offense and disqualifying everybody else.

We literally forced kpj to learn a new role, but oh it's too much for poor Ole green to learn a new role. Got to get your head out of your a$$ that green is not brewer 2.0.

We don't even know how green will b as a pseudo pg and u already dismissing it with nonsensical hypotheticals

Sengun has better court vision and passing ability, but nah he should b a sixth man. Kpj is too talented to b a sixth man.

#341 DatRocketFan, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    King1 likes this.
  2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Bobby just wants KPJ as the sole ballhandler because it helps him put up counting numbers. He's blind to the fact that the competitive version of this team will be with them sharing the basketball and the positive version of our top draft picks will include them being able to help initiate. You have to give them playing time in the roles that you want them to succeed in, later. That's how they get better. Especially Green - he needs to be given the chance in games to improve his skillset as a guard.

King1, AroundTheWorld and bmelo like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

It's true. But some try to others want to force their way. For example, Jabari probably sucks in stats, but he has waaaaay different approach to the game, and his physicality is not developed. Green is a super scorer but too weak physically to play consistent d. Similar to Sengun - great vision but still takes too many optimist solutions on the court, whether over complex passes or reaching out and fouling.
    On the other hand, KPJ has a style that isn't suited to being PG, period. I can't see how he would become one. He is a big guard who can and wants to score. I seriously have nothing on the kid I might sound like a hater but he is just put in position that irks people because it's forcing him to be a superstar. If he is one he will look like one. This team revolves around him for second season straight and an experiment should end after this year

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let me put it another way, he is doing EXACTLY what the Rockets ORG wants him to do.

DD

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If "Make questionable decisions and lead us to another tank season" is the strategy here, I can get behind that.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not all offense has to be iso or PnR centric. Given our guards arent great at that statistically, not sure why we keep trying to fit square peg in round hole.

Lots of folks like to pretend the GSW offense is unique to them and only works because they have great shooters. Not true. They just play pure fundamental basketball, pass it along, have plays with off-screens and move the ball.

See below. No reason why any team, including the Rockets, couldnt implement this type of concept. FLOW.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's Harden, by a pretty large margin. Doesn't seem to matter that much to me, seems like there are plenty of people with multiple rings who don't come close to Harden's efficiency.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They have 1.5% pt gap in ts% for their careers and LeBron started his career in 2003 before the 3 pt revolution

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Beautiful! They make it look easy, and it isn't.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya this is completely wrong

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Scored really well in the first 3 quarters but his scoring and especially his PG-play fell off a cliff after that. He nearly lost us the game. The offense was death when he came back in the 4th quarter. Several opportunities to attack in transition, attack before the defense is set and play downhill. Just slows down the ball irrespective of the situation, he's forcing his way rather than reading the game. A lot of moves that look cool and don't do anything for the quality of his or the team's shots.

Still there's improvement, at least he scored well today and there was some excellent defense at times. What concerns me the absolute most is that his PG play since the end of his FIRST season until now has improved way too little. He averaged 6.3 assists to 3.5 TO's in his first season, and he was a SG for some of that season. Two summer camps and an entire season tailored to his development and he's putting up 6 assists and 3 TO's. I know it can be slow, but this is as slow as I've even seen in 20+ years of watching basketball.

I know he CAN do it. I'm not sure he wants to. Let's wait till 20 games into the season. Sometimes it takes a bunch of losses and teammates complaining about the quality of their shots.

jcmoon and clutchdabear like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One thing I noticed is the lack of off the ball movement when KPJ has the ball....no off ball screens, no back cuts, no pick and pop people stand around and watch.

DD

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Posted in game thread, but for those who doubt the importance of efficiency…

Jabari : 21 on 83.1 TS%
    Jalen : 25 on 72.2 TS%
    KPJ : 26 on 56.6 TS%

Rockets win. High volume has to have high efficiency in todays game. KPJ was right at league average tonight, a good sign. Still have my reservations of him being a high volume guy, but if he can finish this year at league average it will be a big improvement and a good sign moving forward.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

KPJ's decision making has always been my biggest issue with him. He just seems to play the game with a very low BBIQ from a decision making perspective. When he's out there, whether he is scoring or passing, it always seems like he is simply reacting instead of trying to read and think things through.

15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

One wonders why...

16. Ancient Moabite

It was Jordan who created the Iverson superstar types as that era was more hero ball style which is why eventually they allowed zone d to stop those type of players

And that Iverson team was built in the image of L Brown who was strictly all Def. Mind coach, if it was up to Iverson he would have drafted Tmac and one of Dirk or Pierce following year which would have been basically early version of what OKC had from 2007-09 picks

That young trio would have ran the east post Jordan era

And you are right about that era not caring about efficiency, it was about winning and individual getting yours in the process, which we think is diff. now yet remains the same

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

This is really more of an example of horrid defensive scheming and execution from Fox and Sabonis rather than great offense. They're doubling Steph at the logo on a pick that completely whiffs. Sabonis picks up Steph, and completely loses his balance and gets 4 steps out of position. Meanwhile, Fox gets stuck in no-man's land and is guarding complete air. Pause the video at 0:07 and it looks like the Kings have effectively triple teamed Draymond 30 feet from the bucket.

You put this exact same defense up against the Rockets' offense last year with Christian Wood setting his horrid slip screens, and you end up with a highlight reel dunk off of a basket cut into the completely empty paint, or an alley-oop to KJ Martin cutting from Wiggins' corner spot.

Not saying that the Warriors don't have a fantastic offense that looks really pretty at times. But we don't celebrate touchdowns where the coverage gets completely blown and a guy is open by 10 yards. Even present-Westbrook could have probably shredded the defense in this clip.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes when i first watched it i also immediately thought, "THAT'S BAD DEFENSE!" ... but then thought more about it and kind of concluded yeah its bad defense, but picks, screens, flows, speed, simplicity, etc. CREATES bad defense, ESPECIALLY against bad defensive teams, of which there are many.

19. Ancient Moabite

But you forgot to mention Westbrook played with a supreme efficient superstar for 8 yrs while Iverson had two 6ppg (career) inefficient scorers as his core/sidekick for 7 seasons

20. Ancient Moabite

Iverson had weaker cast than those two superstars in his finals trip