1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh AN ENTIRE SECOND!!! Oh my God! What are we going to do????? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Time of possession is far more relevant to this discussion than usage rate. I'm fine with a possession ending with a KPJ jump shot. He's a good shooter. His usage rate can be high still and his time of possession going down to a reasonable number.

And yes we absolutely are going to discuss time per dribble. Absolutely. That is an essential part in evaluating how a offense works. KPJ dominating possessions effects the game. It effects the teammates. How is that not a relevant thing?

King1 and ilias like this.
  3. fchowd0311

I mean minute. My bad.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dude you and the other analytics guys are way ahead of yourselves and you should know that. Crying and screaming about the outcome of 3 games and then drawing parallels is just not smart. I'll still be here for game 10, 20, 30 - 82 to reconcile your concerns, but this is premature even for CFans standards is all Im saying. Its cool to have a whipping boy thats not new here, but there is plenty of "blame" to go around for these 3 losses and its not even remotely close to being a "KPJ Problem".

5. fchowd0311

Like I said. This is a continuation of a problem from last season. It's a culmination of witnessing this for an entire season and seeing it again at the beginning of the following season and being worried it's going to continue.

I'll be more than happy if in the next couple of weeks that time of possession number goes down for KPJ by a bit.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Got it! "Time of possession problems" added to the list!

7. fchowd0311

Ya it's a real problem.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure bud - if you say so.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, if Jabari could throw a ball into the ocean, Porter would have a lot more assists.

Right now, Jabari is still learning to play in the NBA, Porter and Green are our two options, we don't have another PG that we could even consider moving KPJ to the bench, and after the org has asked him to learn to play PG they aren't going to give that up after only a year, these are growing pains.

DD

10. fchowd0311

KPJ this season has the ball in his hands more than:

Nikola Jokic
    Lebron James
    Steph Curry
    Kyrie Irving

King1 likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its not about baseline stats. Its about efficiency and now "time of possession" has entered the chat and was a problem last year even - go figure! :D:D:D

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

But you said it was a continuation of last year? Did he have the ball more than them last year?

13. fchowd0311

I honestly don't know why that is absurd to you?

Yes time of possession is a valuable stat to see how a offense functions.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think KPJ is a talented player, I also think he’s being miscast into something he shouldn’t be. I put that more on the coaching staff

15. fchowd0311

No last year him and LeBron were about the same at 6. Guys like Kyrie and Steph were less.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Time of possession in an NBA game is meaningless.......how long a team has the ball over the other team? Maybe the other team is coached like D'Antoni - 7 seconds or less.

Time of possession is stupid as an NBA stat.

It is a soccer stat, a football stat, but fails miserably as an NBA stat.

DD

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's not an NBA starter. He just is who he is

18. King1

Exactly. Let him come off the bench

19. King1

If KPJ had any court vision and would stop dribbling the air out of the ball we could see what we have. He's just a ball stopper. Awful pg

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The NBA tracks "potential assists", which are how many assists a player would have if the shot was made on every one of their passes. Obviously, players aren't going to hit every shot.

Last season, here's the percentage of the "Potential Assists" where the shot was actually made for several of the leading passers:

Harden 55%, Morant 53.5%, CP3 55.1%, Luka 51.1%, Trae Young 56.39% and D. Murray 53.4%.

This year KPJ is averaging 6 assists/game. He's also had 12.7 potential assists/game. That means that only 47.2% of his potential assists have been converted. Part of that is because a large number of his potential assists this year have been to players behind the arc where the shooting percentage will be lower.

If you adjust KPJ's to assume that 53.5% of his potential assists got converted ( He's not Harden or CP3, so I picked something in the range of Murray, Morant and better than Luka. 53.5% is actually Ja's percentage) that would mean that his assists would go up to 6.79/game. It's better but certainly not "a lot more assists". That's also ALL of his potential assists. If you just adjusted the passes to Smith then it's a very small difference. Even if you use CP3's 55.1%, his assists are just a fraction under 7.

The interesting one is Jalen Green. He's had 6.3 potential assists this year but only 2.3 of those are actually being made. That's 36.5% of his potential assists getting converted. That's extremely low.