1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Jabari Smith is starting every game but his stats totaly are horrible. So if this are a project i cant understand why Alpi dont starts. Jabari Smith got bad stats but he is playing like he plays good. He take 15,3 shoots a game and hit 4,7 its 30,4%. Thats very bad! i dont mean, that he JS get fired xD This guy is young and he will learn.
    They accept this but if Alpi made one bad game everyone bashes on him and he must be angry about his playtime! Thats not fair! This guy is also 20 years old! he scores 15,7 and 10 Rebounds in the first games!! Thats really stupid!

2. MystikArkitect

After watching that game, I have a really hard time believing Sengun would've been that much worse against Giannis than what we threw out there. Since I'm already at the "acceptance" phase of this probably being another 20 something win season, I'm going to just accept Silas saying he's going to "experiment" with the lineups and eventually see Sengun starting. There's no reason to play him 7 minutes less than Jabari per game.

It's both funny and sad to me that I thought Wood and Theis being gone would make me look forward to watching this team. Silas proving otherwise.

clos4life, Dovahkiin, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't understand how folks watching the game would consider sengun not a high iq player. The Dude is 20 years old playing like a vet of many years.

His passes aren't ones some scrub just entering the league would make. Just look at these type of passes at 19.

The problem with why a lot of turnovers r created is bc his teammates don't expect a lot of them.

If kpj could make these type of passes like sengun, maybe folks wouldn't b irked at him playing pg. Kpj is still learning to b a passer it seems

#603 DatRocketFan, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  4. maj21

maj21 Member

Simple… Jabari is the 3rd overall pick and it’s only been 3 Games. The bench role allows Sengun to play to his strengths more

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Smith was drafted for that position, while we are trying sengun at center. There's a debate between folks if sengun can even be a starter center which i find extremely ridiculous

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

are you talking about this year alone or including last year? Because I don’t remember specifics of end game lineups last year and we’ve only had 3 games this year, one of which Fernando might have ended the game but the other two he didn’t. Last game Sengun was pulled with a few min left when we threw in the towel. Preseason rotations are absolutely meaningless. So too small a sample size to complain about Sengun’s minutes or if he finishes game or not. Fernando is a more athletic defender and roll man. His lack of offensive skills outside of the roll man are exactly why he is starting over Sengun (for now). There’s just no point in wasting Sengun minutes when he will be the third option to start games. It’s smart, team basketball. Pop knew that it was a waste to start Ginobli knowing Duncan and Parker would get first shots. Better to have him come in and attack the second unit or the tiring first unit.

And it really may be more about Fernando NOT being much of a help to the second unit than it is about Sengun not being able to help the first unit.

y’all are way too fixated on minutes and rotations for a guy in his second year who is physically and literally still growing.

again, I point to Yao who was playing under 20 a game despite being the clear future of our franchise. There are physical limitations for these young bigs that we as mere mortal (unathletic in comparison) men cannot fully comprehend.

7. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

The Question is: Do you want win games or do you want try a project? If you say i dont want win games but i will build the team arround Jalen Green for the next years then let Alpi play Center. Let him play! JS is the third pick yes but if he play bad then let him come from the bench and let him learn.But he is one of the reason why you lose.
    If there is no problem to lose why Silas dont let Alpi play?! I dont understand what they try.

AroundTheWorld, aaquaa and Dovahkiin like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's about position. JS isn't even a center, his mins doesn't and shouldn't impact Sengun's min.

Silas doesn't want Sengun starting b/c our pg can't utilize him properly. He's prioritizing KPJ as a pg so he wants the best fit center, who he thinks is bruno hence sengun is coming off the bench.

JS playing time really has no influence on why sengun isn't a starter at least to me.

clos4life, aaquaa and Rolliepollie like this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets were experimenting with Smith as the lone big man lineups on Saturday, like they absolutely should try given where they are - so it might not be an influence on you, but it's an influence on reality.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

lol We all know Smith isn't gonna b the future center. You can kid yourself that, but it aint happening. Maybe in the future if we wanted to go small ball or some sht

aaquaa likes this.
  11. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Won't come off the bench, at least tonight.

12. MystikArkitect

Interesting that the offense looked absolutely shambolic with Sengun out.

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. omgTHEpotential

This type of passing is not something you can learn. You either have this vision/creativity, or you DON'T. You can't just LEARN it.

aaquaa, clos4life, Ankara1923 and 2 others like this.
  14. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

Alpi is a unique talent. He has qualities like bbiq, vision, passing and footwork which are hard to get. We all agree on this.

Special treatment by coaching staff is also visible which causes losing his rhythm and disrupts development. Unless management get involve and change something, Silas seems uncapable of developing any high ceiling players into competitive all stars.

For Alperen's side, i really expected him to excel at this summer's EuroBasket and become a weapon after his rookie year. Instead he balled against weaker opposition and got benched in competitive matches for his liabilities. It was frustrating to see him come back to Houston with extra fat. He could have worked all summer on his body and shots.

Other 2 Turkish NBA players korkmaz and Osman chose to be media stars rather than dedicate themselves and they regressed visibly. Osman lost his starting job at cavaliers and korkmaz had no minutes in 76ers since they have been focusing on actresses and commercial deals rather than basketball. I am worried if it will be the case with alpi, he may only remain as an unfulfilled potential.

Alpi needs to work on his body, be stronger and faster (areas which he has a lot room to develop), work on defensive awareness, shots and moves. If he makes the leap, there would be no debate whatsoever on who is the cornerstone or who shall start or what offense to be played.

Alpi should grow out of the Silas' reach who hates guys play basketball and help the team win. Grow and get the incapable fired for not doing his job of making talents play good basketball. All he needs is hard work an experience at this stage.

hakeem94, LeDakota, aaquaa and 5 others like this.
  15. a time to chill

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Silas sucks. Even @SamFisher realized that whatever Silas is trying there is not working at all. If the logic is to have better defense, he would have to take out KPJ. Put in Sengun, Garuba, Bari, Tari, Green.

clutchdabear, hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't often disagree with @Clutch, but on this one, I do.

It's KPJ who should come off the bench, not Alpi.

ExTxGS, clutchdabear, aaquaa and 2 others like this.