1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Neither are saddled with Silas as a head coach, but Jabari is the least NBA ready of those 3. I think as he fills out he will be a perineal all-defensive 1st teamer and a good scorer and rebounder. I don’t think any of them will be superstars like JG is going to be.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Just like Jalen last year, a bunch of idiotic fools with their complete FN moronic takes. Hating on a 19 yr old after 3 games. Gonna look just as stupid as those that called him out. You'd think people would learn.

Like Jalen, Bari be laughing louder later.

Book it.

Phillyrocket and Hakeemtheking like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea just keep ignoring that people like me watched most of his ncaa tape and had those same concerns and predictions before the first game of summer league.

The homerism here is unbelievable and I suspect most of ya only watched some Jabari highlight mixes instead of actually analysing how he scored in the ncaa.

jiggyfly and ilovehtownbb like this.
  4. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Strange how someone can get so defensive over a few valid observations about Jabari. You can argue that people are too harsh on a rookie 3 games in but then you have homers like this dude proclaim outlandish things about him off the same sample size of games.

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100% I am a homer. I'm also a realist. I know better than to conclude a book is bad after reading page 1. GTFO with that ish.

I don't suspect you'll eat your words.

I know you will.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Also strange that people think it's extreme homerism to be optimistic about a no.2 pick in Jalen Green and no.3 pick in Jabari Smith but then also go off saying that KPJ is the next coming of Harden and is worth $30M/yr when he has nowhere near the pedigree of being a top prospect, has been in the league for 3 years without any improvement, and doesn't have any of the stats/data to back up any claims that he has some unrealized potential.

7. marinara

marinara Member

1. you lied in that post 2. 50 piece ain’t prove ****? His moved 3 positions in 3 years dude.

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Yea except some of us actually did watch his NCAA games in whole and saw his intensity on both ends of the floor along with that jumper of his. Shooters can go through bad stretches and he's a rookie who had first game jitters after sitting out most of the preseason, then a b2b shooting on tired legs... what the hell do u expect? Obviously if he was shooting lights out, you wouldn't even be in this thread.

I know you really thirsted for Banchero before the draft but he's not a Rocket.. is it that hard to try to root for Jabari and realize he's only 19 and understand that he's nowhere close to being a finished product? And if you really want to analyze NCAA tape and use that as a final determination on a player's ultimate outcome, then Banchero's NCAA tape is nothing to brag about... not in how inefficiently he scored in the NCAA and how lazy he was on defense.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It literally isn't about his shooting but everything else, but you guys love to ignore all arguments.

I don't give a f about that and don't play favourites, it's just objective analysis I had before any of them played on an NBA roster. Don't put me into that childish fanboy wars you guys have.

jiggyfly and ilovehtownbb like this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I explicitly said I think he can turn into a good player, so exactly what words will I eat and where have I concluded the book?
    You guys just do bullsh** strawmen arguments with no substance instead of replying to what people say, CF has gotten so bad.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

lmao a KPJ stan to the rescue.

1) lied where? guess u weren't around for the extend kpj or not thread.
    2) 50 piece obviously doesn't mean **** when on a season-by-season basis for 3 straight seasons he's been in garbage-tier efficiency. So in your mind, a random 50 point outlier game by Corey Brewer, or Tony Delk, or some other idiot means they deserve a max contract when they have never shown anything in terms of consistency before or after that 50 point game?
    3) he's been a pg the day he was acquired by the Rockets and sent to the Gleague - which has already been well over a whole season's worth of games now. He's been a lead combo guard for most of his life from AAU/high school to now. It's not like he's suddenly going from playing WR to QB or some crazy positional change.

AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  12. marinara

marinara Member

Everyone basically said what the rockets paid him is what they would pay him most people said 15 million per year from what I seen maybe I’m wrong but I don’t remember people saying to give KPJ 150*/5 even myself being a big fan of his mentioned he should be paid roughly what they agreed too.

Dude was a SF at Cavs and when he played next to wall he was a SG was he not?

13. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Jabari gone be Aldridge with longer range and better defense when it’s all said and done.

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Having Jabari play C is stupid and cruel, and can only stunt his development. Sheesh... There are so many, much more subtle ways to tank. If he had a proper PG and offensive scheme (ie, coach), he'd be a skilled 3-and-D small forward, getting wide open corners and kick-outs. Maybe next year, like we always say.

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Look Yung. I got no idea what you said. You blasted my post about people deciding after 3 games that Bari basically sucks. Don't twist it. That ish is a FN joke and anyone with a brain should know it.

Strawmen BS. C'mon.

16. marinara

marinara Member

Rashard Lewis with Elite D

17. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

so somehow your "objective" analysis is above everyone else's and we should all just shut up. got it.

why do you idiots keep thinking that handles makes or breaks a player, especially one who can shoot like Jabari does at his height... and it's not like he's a total stiff. that was your biggest criticism of jabari in all those predraft threads and the reason why u kept digging at jabari while pining for banchero.

marinara likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Hopefully Jabari’s first Giannis encounter will create a hunger to get obsessive in the weight room. Giannis is a self made player who made himself a monster in the weight room. Jabari just has to challenge himself to do so.

Believe It! and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Because people like me are basing the evaluation and deficiencies on his entire ncaa tenure and not just 2-3 games, which ya somehow want to ignore.
    So of course that's bs, you can't act like this is kneejerk based on some bad shooting nights, when the very same issues were glaringly obvious even when he scored consistently high in college.

It's really not about shooting numbers here but his entire skillset and approach on the court.

20. marinara

marinara Member

What about his skills on the other side of the ball?

Did the rockets really need another ball dominate player who can’t defend?

clutchdabear likes this.