1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Until we upgrade he's the point.
    Ideally he'd be a great 6 man when we're in full fledged playoff mode.

Jontro likes this.
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

KPJ would be our perfect 6th man. You can tell on many nights the assists just don't come naturally and our starting backcourt just want to jack up shots.

I'm more concerned about Sengun's fit in our system because I still think he can be an all-star level player, but just not on this team because he doesn't fit our run and gun offense where the guards are in charge of handling the ball.

Jontro and King1 like this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I di think he can be an effective 6th man. I'd like to see that though this year instead of wasting the season trying to make him a pg

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He is a manu in the making. Instant offense off the bench who can come in as a 1 or 2 off the Bench and then shift to the 3 with the starters to finish the game

5. King1

I think we need to see Sengun work with the starters with KPJ on the bench. He is a good creator. Would be interesting to see Jalen and him work together.

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This was my first thought. He'll be a good rotation player. Whether he's in the starting lineup or not will just depend on the other starters.

If anything, I actually think his defensive development, not his playmaking, will play a bigger part of whether or not he's a starter.

Neither of last year's finals teams had a traditional PG starting but Steph is an elite shooter and superstar while Marcus Smart is an elite defender. The playmaking is mostly done by their frontcourt.

I don't think the rockets are too worried about player type and future fit right now. They're just trying to maximize each player's development to get them to be as good as possible as quickly as possible. A couple years from now you can work out fit and do whatever trades to get that guy who meshes perfectly with our then stars.

#86 pmac, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems Christian Wood became instant offense off the pine over there in D Town.

8. King1

He did. It didn't seem he was willing to I play that role here. We had him on a team friendly contract too. KPJ just is a toxic player. You can't win with people like that. Just care about stats

Dovahkiin, AroundTheWorld and jcmoon like this.
  9. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Get my posts from the past season and all you are saying (be a 6th man, move to SF, he is a SG etc) I have already said this all in a loooog time.

But the kid is good. I have no doubt he can develop in a good scoring PG someday. The problem is that here is not the place for that. Why? Silas can't run plays. It is always that top of the key pick and roll/drop off, and all about individual talent for scoring. Occasionally some ball passing to the open shooter. We had more plays with DJ Augustin running the point than KPJ.

The other part of concern is his willingness to be more a pass first other than scoring. This team needs that (if he keeps his role se PG), but the Rockets have already spoiler him enought for him to believe he is the centerpiece of this team. Hey, did you notice he was the last player to enter the court in the home opener??

Anyway. This is a TOUGH early schedule. We will lose games, granted. And we all know our winning time will only come by trades when John Wall salary cap opens up next season.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Last year I would have said no way, no how on KPJ being the starting point for a contender. But with the work we see he’s put in this offseason, there’s now a trajectory where he can get there.

This Rockets rotation is 80% rookies and sophomores, and KPJ by point guard standards is sorta a sophomore himself. The position is the hardest one to learn in the NBA so the growth curve is delayed compared to most other positions. Outside of CP3 and Doncic, every other point has had to go to the school of hard knocks until they came out as a winner around age 24-25. Remember Kyle Lowry’s developmental curve?

We’ve invested so much into KPJ now. He’s long, athletic, and he shoots a 50%+ catch and shoot three ball. Worst case scenario, he can be a Jordan Clarkson++ type, but his assists are starting to come in, and he’s nowhere near a finished product. He and Jalen are tight, so let’s see where he goes as the year goes on.

HD729 likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

he should be in his natural environment as the starting 2. i guess that makes green expendable unless he can play the 1 or 3

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The biggest concern with KPJ is he is shooting 53% from 3, but his overall scoring efficiency is only TS 52%. He won't sustain 53% from 3, so his efficiency numbers will drop even further unless he improves every other aspect of his scoring arsenal. His free throws for example is still in the low 70s.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if KPJ focused more on distributing than shooting.

saleem likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

His ideal role is starting next to Green. I get frustrated with the missed passing opportunities as well but I believe both will continue to grow as playmakers.

HD729 likes this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the 10 guys who scored the most points off the bench last year:

Jordan Clarkson 6'5"
    Tyler Herro 6'5"
    Kevin Love 6'8"
    Kelly Oubre Jr. 6'6"
    Carmelo Anthony 6'7"
    Montrezl Harrell 6'7"
    Immanuel Quickly 6'2"
    Lonnie Walker IV 6'4"
    Buddy Heil 6'4"
    Cedi Osman 6'7"

I'm not getting "undersized" from that group.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Combo guard and starting PG.

/Thread

maj21 likes this.
  16. King1

Wrong as always. You might be the biggest idiot here

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member