1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

He's a talented, but inconsistent scoring and playmaking third option for a contending team. On our team he's Stevie Franchise the 2nd with better court vision.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Needs to be a scorer 1st. Many have said this before, when his scoring is on, the assists will become easy because it leaves someone open.

HD729, Plowman, PatBev and 1 other person like this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I have said he’s very talented many times

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Not on the Rockets.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Very talented player. He's not a pg though. Sucks. I wish Green could just absorb KPJ's ball handling and we would be set.

#65 fchowd0311, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    jcmoon and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. But the hierarchy seems to be KPJ first and that’s a big mistake for this team. As soon as he gets the ball he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles into traffic to throw up a bad shot or a bad pass to help bail him out when he gets in a bind.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

KPJ was awful again today.

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Terrible as playmaker.

bmelo, Dovahkiin and Entropy like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Link a post where you were positive about him - in the entire thing, not some backhanded "he's talented, but..."

That is how you know you are biased.

DD

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Let's talk hoops like we discussed. He just isn't good. So inefficient. Dribbles the air out of the ball too. What makes him an effective starter? Talent doesn't get you there. Harold Miner had Talent. Glad we took Horry

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1. He is good - and doing what the coaches asked I counted at least 6 more assists he should or could have had if people could shoot.
    2. Yes, he dribbles too much, needs to realize you can let the ball go and it will come back to you.
    3. He is the best we have at that position at the moment - and he is still learning it....who else would you start? EGO? Nix? TyTy?
    4. He has talent and feel for the game, if we basically just said score, it would be easier for him, but he is still learning PG.

DD

bluffkin likes this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

1. We really aren't that talented of a team and certainly aren't good shooters. He has no court vision even if we did.
    2. That's why hw isn't a PG. He can't see the court. Hence why he should be a 6th man. He's selfish too.
    3. He's not. I won't argue our talent at PG is limited but that speaks for our front office
    4. He needs to be Jamal Crawford. He's been in the league for 3 years. It's just not upstairs with him.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

ideal 6th man...
    bring him in as a spark plug once your starters have gotten comfortable in their games - as set up by the starting pg...
    let him and Sengun trade off as the primary playmakers for the second unit...
    if someone has a hot hand or a great matchup then maybe you ride em down the stretch...

ie... next offseason its about an upper level center (Wemby, fa or trade) - and a top notch facilitating pg...

jcmoon likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why is my opinion, which is backed by all of the data, biased, while yours isn’t?

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

James Harden was coming off the bench when we decided to trade for him - and pay him.

Still got a contract for 82.5M...

If he's playing above 6th man level - someone will come knocking... make an offer - maybe even guarantee the rest of that contract... ;) lol

doesnt seem like that hard an ask coming from an org that 'saved his life' and all...

oh, and did i mention the 4yr/82.5M?

lol

16. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

This whole KPJ experiment is something, I tell ya.

For someone like myself who has always hated Harden’s ball-dominant, over-dribbling style .. I now have to deal with this s*** again. But this time, with a MUCH worse version of that, while having to deal with the toxicity of KPJOFs.

And with the extension, I have to hear about this debate go on for another 2 seasons, at minimum. You really can’t make this up.

A part of me truly dies for every turnover, missed read to the corner for Bari, and over-dribbling possession.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dada got time on his hands to defend someone who shouldn't be worth my time.

18. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

KPJ likes to dribble too much. The Rockets need a real starting point guard, and coach, to help set up Green and others.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is what was triggering me. I loved harden playstyle but there was the endless btching about team ball and what not by many posters. Now some of the same folks are slobbering over an inferior harden. If kpj could b 80% of harden that's still palatable to watch. Everybody loves a redemption story, but kpj pg experiment should really b canned. Iso heroball should only b reserved for great players otherwise watching sengun rallying the team/getting folks involved is more fun ti watch than a wannabe harden.

Richie_Rich, clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  20. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

%100 agreed

AroundTheWorld likes this.