1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Really don't know.

I don't see a seemless fit anywhere long term. I would say six man, but I see Sengun as that guy and I don't like the overlap there.

Honestly his place on the team is basically best use of cap unless another opportunity arises. I hope he takes leaps forward.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think it's obvious he's a 6th man

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is why i was higher on some of the wings and forwards with higher playmaking potential in this past draft, but truthfully we shouldnt be building the team based on kpj's skillset.

The focus should be on whats best for jabari and green.

Everyone else needs to be compliments to them.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KPJ just needs to finish his layups. He now has a floater that everybody was yelling for him and Jalen to develop last year. He will get there and be a scoring PG.

HD729, HP3 and Denovo like this.
  5. King1

He's an inefficient player. It's that simple. I get you guys love him but he just isn't a starting caliber player. That's why we got him for free and in 3 years he hasn't progressed

jcmoon and albuster like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You have to live with whatever happens for the next 20 games and see if he's ready to choose the shots he's better at and run the offense in a way that's suitable for the whole team. Different than the rest of the team which mostly consists of players that need to add 1 or 2 things to be successful. In his case, he just has to choose better shots and clock management. You can't force someone to do that, you can just advise them.

If he doesn't do it they need to force the ball out of his hands by bringing him off the bench or adding Sengun to the starting line up imo.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I see KPJ being somewhere between a Lou Williams and a Russel Westbrook.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

It's two freaking games into the season, give it some time. He's not a bench player either if he has those kinds of numbers, him being a bench player isnt magically gonna make him more efficient.

Stop trying to half way it, either he's inefficent and you dont want him or you keep the 21 year old starting and see what happens.

Dont half way it, yall want him off the team and I'm fine with it. Just stop with the 6th man stuff.

Sonicbun8, maj21 and SamFisher like this.
  9. King1

He would be a quality 6th man. No need to stop it. That's where we could get value out of him

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao yall just say it just to say it. Him going to the bench isnt gonna make him more efficient. And honestly...who's gonna run point? Tell me?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It worked for Sengun

HP3 likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can absolutely be a starter.

He should absolutely NOT be pounding the ball like Harden/Luka.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. King1

He actually would be decent there. We don’t have a pg unfortunately

HP3 likes this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m glad we have Jalen, but I’m just speaking strictly fit… I felt like Cade would’ve been the perfect fit with KPJ, so then he can just score and be a secondary playmaker. Him and Jalen are kinda redundant. We need KPJ to be shooting and and scoring. I would like for him to play EG’s spot right now, if we had another piece. I believe they can make it work together, just gotta improve their 2nd and 3rd reads

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

The 6th man stuff is super annoying. Many here believe TyTy should start, which absolutely insane. KPJ is a starter in this league, just needs to be utilized the right way

Sonicbun8, HD729 and HP3 like this.
  16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

With the current roaster he is definitely the starting pg and will remain so.

in the long run he needs to become efficient, develop some sort of court vision, pass more and get rid of the sloppy turnovers. If he can’t do those he is not a starting pg on any team, maybe shooting guard on a bottom team.

the thing kpj and Sengun is that some of what they do is too good for a bench role but they lack some fundamental skills for their position to cause us to question if they should be starting. At least for this season, we’ll wait and see how they overcome these issues.

and kpj and Sengun might have looked better under a better coach. I have no idea how some of the things are not addressed.

HD729 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Agree to disagree.

King1 likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

2/3 that can rotate in and out of the starting lineup, a la Eric Gordon. Has better handles than Gordon, but like Gordon doesn't have PG vision.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

And that is what exactly?

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Shooter/scorer and secondary playmaker. We’ll see how he improves as a pg this season