1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

...You think we aren't passing to Smith and he isn't getting enough shots?

He's gotten

15 shots v SA
    17 shots v ATL
    14 shots v MEM

Makes zero sense. Only 11 players in the league last year averaged 20+ FGAs per game... and exactly zero of them were rookies or sophomores. Jalen lead our team in FGA last year too, per game and total.

Mad just to be mad.

cbass and eliefor3 like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

you know that's not how basketball works right? KPJ will get up 20 shots who is passing to KPJ? you see how dumb this post is now?

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Why not?
    This is a young team I'd rather they take losses as a learning opportunity

cbass likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

houston19519 likes this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yall aren't getting it. It's not about the actual losses. You can lose games, and you can learn a lot. I have no problem with that. Where I have a problem is this "aw shucks, we're just some kids having fun" mentality that can, has, and will lead to incredibly bad habits and a basic lack of urgency to EVER get better. I just don't think Silas is capable of seeing these guys as anything other than his pet project, and that's going to be an issue if/ when these guys outgrow him.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Smith is literally an off-ball PF, are you saying your mad we aren't giving him the ball and demanding him to run the offense or something?

Ekiu, cbass and larsv8 like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Just because he is getting shots up doesn't mean they are all quality shots. Jalen Green was ass his rookie year to begin with because silas was doing weird stuff with him for half the season.

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Silas isn't going anywhere.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

well then the 4th youngest team in the NBA, that was the worst team in the league last season, has played competitive games against 2 playoff teams to start the year

Ekiu, houston19519 and DrNuegebauer like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And how is Jalen Green now?

In your mind that is in spite of Silas. Care to prove that theory?? Maybe Silas did a good job with Green last year.

If we win 25 games this year, it is an improvement.
    If we win 5 of our first 20, we have done well considering the schedule.

Just because there was a BBS thread pushing for the play in does not mean we have the experience to get there. There is possibly a reason the win line is set so low for those who put money on games??

cbass and larsv8 like this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen said it best - there is Wins and Lessons… tonight was a lesson, Tilman said he following Astros strategy before the game even tho losing sucks… you need a top pick to acquire talent vs being 7-12 …

Listening tells you what the plan is… but y’all fail at that and think you know what the coach the Rockets need

Ekiu and houston19519 like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

now people are acting like what Jalen Green was doing to end his rookie year he would’ve been doing from day 1 if not for Silas…

like he didn’t need time to get adjusted to the speed and athleticism of the NBA…

there was a reason why blocked layups eventually turned into finishes at the rim…there’s a reason why bricked threes eventually turned into stepback makes in the defender’s face

Ekiu, cbass and gfab-babyboi like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know what the point is anymore

Jalen was ass to start his rookie year not because he was bricking like crazy and getting swatted every time he went into the paint, not because he was a 170 pound teenager adjusting to NBA speed, but because Silas set him up to fail... But let's go over this, you think it was Silas' fault that Jalen started slow, but let me also guess, you don't think its Silas' doing now when Jalen has started playing really well right, do you?

Smith's shots have been totally fine too, exactly the type of shots he can expect over his career. Catch and shoot 3's off of PnP's and swings from the other players collasping the D, with a few ISOs sprinkled in here and there, and hopefully some put backs / PnR buckets once he gets stronger and is able to finish through contact in the paint.

Players can have crazy development patterns (like K.Leonard was crazy) but Smith has never been projected to be KD or Tatum, he's not Banchero you don't hand him the rock and expect work. He's always been projected to be an off-ball player offensively, a big man Klay, Rashard Lewis, yall will be mad at this one but prime Ryan Anderson (with defense of course).

#53 ThatBoyNick, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    13 in 33, Ekiu and cbass like this.
  14. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Yeah, this type of stuff shouldn't be made public, it is absolutely a loser mentality to have. I wonder if this team is actually blatantly trying to tank instead of organically trying to tank. Up until now I figured it was organic, just play younger guys, start the lesser players, etc. However, now I am wondering if the whole playbook is designed to lose. I figured if you are a pro athlete you are a born competitor and wouldn't put up with losing all of the time. Hopefully it pays off and we are rewarded with a top 2 pick.

15. Ancient Moabite

But yet when these so called grown men demand a trade and hold the team hostage then that certain fan base will start whining about that player acting like a 12 year old over privileged rec league player (AAU disciple), plus alot of players whine like 8 year old over ref calls(non), Silas is on par for the job, which rebuilding is code word for tanking

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

The future is indeed promising, but Silas has no idea what he is doing. The rotation is god awful. There are a lot of coaches out there who are still available. Gimme Quin Synder or something, please. He is making these guys be okay with almost winning games.

persian hoopa and Ankara1923 like this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

u were cooking until that last sentence

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

People forget but prime Ryno was basically a 6'10 Klay without D

If Smith is prime Ryno on offense and something like Siakam on D we're going to have a good time.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am not for firing a coach midseason unless there is drama and he's lost the team and definitely not for firing Silas right now but....

Yeah, this is an odd quote from a player. I'm sure he doesn't mean they are expecting to lose and just trying to be positive because he really did went out there trying to carry the team as much as 2nd year Green could carry the team.

clos4life and Ancient Moabite like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Nick, I see what you’re saying, but I can’t condone a Ryno comparison in good conscience…Ryno was often timid and soft…check his playoff stats…boy was straight up ass his whole career