1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Why Alperen Sengun will come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

BOOOOO!!!!

Booo this man!!!

:)

My takes:

(1) Vertical spacing is overrated. The Warriors never had a ton of vertical spacing. The Mavs "historic" offense never had a ton of vertical spacing as far as I remember. Good offense is good offense. It CAN be with vertical spacing. It can be with great passing and ball movement. I prefer the later anyways, its just more entertaining a product.

(2)
    Nobody on the team screens better than Alpi and its not even remotely close. He also can roll hard. Its just not vertical.

(3)
    Again, good offense IS good offense. Luka, Jokic have no problem manipulating the game without being quicker or stronger.

(4)
    HELL YEAH. THIS IS 100% TRUE. Good idea, let's bench him for a guy that has no shot outside of 1 foot and even that is questionable!!! lol

(5)
    What? Coming off the bench is 100% a demerit. Nobody wants to come off the bench. I really don't think i should have to explain why. From actual value, to perceived value, to $ value.

(6)
    The timing of this is actually one of the things i dislike.

Form a LONG-TERM perspective, what is the plan? Do they EVER plan on having Alpi here and being the starting 5? If so, this is the year to try it. If not, **** they f'd up that pick then, not that they traded necessarily SUPER valuable picks to get him, but they traded 2 frps for him.

---------------------

Some unsaid things in your article i'd address. Some of which you Clutch alluded to on some spaces/playbacks.

a. Sengun's offseason. There was some alluding to he didn't do enough in the offseason. Frankly, I'm ON-BOARD with this. Absent knowing for real if his jumper has improved, I don't see ANYWHERE CLOSE to the jump in play that we've seen so far at least from JG, and to an extent KPJ, KMJ, etc. I don't mind if he never gets stronger, faster, etc... BUT if it isn't translating into on the court play improvement, then i DO care

b. There is SOMETHING they don't like about Alpi. For the first half of the year he was prospect #1 thinking about the future of the Rockets. Idgaf about where you were drafted. JG looked like ass but was allowed to work his way through it. Alpi looked great and nothing changed - still limited minutes. Now with this move, however couched, its clear they don't like something about him, his game, etc.

c. Clutch, you "knew" about this a few days ago seemingly. It doesn't seem like Alpi did though. There's something very wrong about that to me. I DO NOT LIKE a sports culture where stuff like this is getting out. Whether Alpi knew about it or not, media shouldn't have, until they should have, so this article could have come out 2 days ago. Either don't pass it along to media... OR, pass it along at the same time EVERYONE knows.

d. All the above said, I understand the concept of maximizing, and as long as Burno's minutes are limited (cause he's awful) and Alpi's are maximized (cause we need to know what we have one way or the other), then let's see how it works out.

-----

My two cents....or 2 dollars lol

#2 JayZ750, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

4. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

The concern of him coming off the bench is overrated. Just because he doesn't start, doesn't mean he will play less minutes and be used less. Hell, he may have more usage coming off the bench. I dont get the uproar honestly.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also tells Sengun to work on his shortcomings.....of range shooting.....I like it...and it protects him from early foul trouble.

DD

DeBeards, fattz, TEXNIFICENT and 5 others like this.
  6. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ gets a extension and Sengun gets benched

Clutchfans gonna implode

7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

The absolute best decision the Rox could make. Look how Embiid is being utilized in Philly, there's no ball-movement, the offense must flow through the guards. The low-post is becoming obsolete times have changed. MDA was smart enough to help mold and push it forward. Good read Clutch

Jontro, maj21, Stephen_A and 2 others like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

But it doesn’t tell Bruno anything?

As long as Alp gets 30 min a night it doesn’t matter, but he’s at worst our 3rd best prospect. To limit his growth because the coach can’t adapt to his talents is wrong

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Poor poor young Alperen.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's not the coach. It's the team. Jalens team. Not Alperens.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

“We need to move Christian Wood, open minutes for Sengun. … After training camp/three preseason games, we’ve seen enough. To the bench you go.”

Straight from the Darvin Ham playbook.
    “It’s not a demotion; it’s a realignment.” — Darvin Ham

“It’s not a demotion! It’ll be good for Sengun!”

”Rockets turn attention to centers in free agency.”
    Acquired 5 new centers (kept two, waived/traded three; [Bruno, Boban, Favors, Cauley-Stein, Chriss])
    Demoted to the bench.
    Now it makes sense.

“We love Sengun [ha ha]. Sengun is great [ha ha]. Sengun has a bright future [ha ha]. Excited to see him grow & his potential [ha ha].”

Imagine losing your spot to Bruno ****ing Fernando…

[​IMG]

#11 J.R., Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Real reason: Because Rafael Stone Cold said so

coachbadlee likes this.
  13. xaos

xaos Member

Just kidding will read this at lunch!

14. TimDuncanDonaut

My issue is more that currently KPJ is not that great of a playmaker; pick n roll or otherwise. The kpj and Wood pairing never quite worked. Nor KPJ and Theis. Fans can chuck it up to Wood being selfish and Theis being meh. Now it's Bruno, whom I generally like.

But if this pairing doesn't work, is it now Bruno at fault or where we keep going with this experiment.

I'm listening to some of Rockets podcasts, people are saying KPJ can up his assists to 7-9 per game. o_O really?. Starting with this Hawks game, let's see how many assists (and assists/ TO ratio) he gets tonight.

I get the logic on the Sengun decision but not sure I agree with all of it. Sitting down one of our better court vision passers, when there's no clear #1 table setter on the starting line up. If Silas can't make Sengun work with dead eye shooters like Jabari and Green, just seems like a lack of imagination on offense.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Bruno/KPJ pick and roll seemed to do just fine in preseason.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sengun is the backup PG

Will, DeBeards, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

We played Spurs, Pacers and Heat's bench. The Raptors was decent so I give them that.

18. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'd prefer Porter coming off the bench instead.

But there's not many PG options and Porter just got paid so that wasn't going to happen.

Drift Monkey, ilias, RudyTBag and 4 others like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't like it and I don't agree.

But as long as he gets close to 30 minutes a game and gets the ball when he is on the floor (which he should), I care less if he starts or comes off the bench.

But if I see him come off the bench and then freaking Josh Christopher keeps not feeding him the ball - then I'll really get mad.

Drift Monkey, hakeem94, bmelo and 6 others like this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bruno is solely in there to Jump high and catch lobs, essentially to do something Sengun isn't capable of doing due to physical limitations. I don't see how that's stunting Sengun's growth

Dankstronaut likes this.