1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Golden State Warriors so good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Nov 13, 2021.

1. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Any team in a biggish market. Lacob is in the bottom third of owners in terms of wealth. He's not funding this with insane personal wealth. He's parlayed team success into being able to tap his market for income and, here's the important thing, is willing to spend that income on the team rather than squeeze team payroll for more profit. Lots of owners could do this with a successful team, they just would rather not.

2. RocketsDraftTV

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/

san franciso/oakland is the 6th largest media market in sports. I still have yet to a see a team spend this much money on a team in american sports especially when their is a rule like the super tax that will punish owners for overspending

stephen curry was basically drafted to the perfect situation playing for an owner willing to go above and beyond to spend to win

#582 RocketsDraftTV, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Warriors were bad for years, they got lucky with getting Curry at 7th but it also helps that Curry was pretty much injured for most of his rookie contract and when it was time to resign him they got a big discount and he finally took after, hiring Jerry west also helps when he prevented the owner from trading away Klay, pretty much the warriors got lucky and the owner was willing to keep it together

jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the Warriors will regret paying Poole that much, which is fine with me.

5. RocketsDraftTV

no this is absurd

6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

No owner has every been in the same position as the warriors besides maybe the bulls, if i have a young team of stars/superstars and they are able to go to back to back to back to back to back to back finals for years i am going to spend as much money as possible to keep it up, I know people like to bring up how Cheap the owner is for the rockets but the only track record we had was first rounds, second rounds and even a few WCF exits but no finals appearance

7. RocketsDraftTV

no way tilman and the majority of owners in the league pay 500 million for a single season of basketball. Stephen curry is just in a great situation and has always been in a great situation.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

They have Steph Curry, the best player in the NBA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

How much money does he actually make on those deep runs to justify the cost though? I presume it has to end up making him a profit, but I'm just wondering how close the margins are.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Props to GSWs owner. He actually gives a **** about winning unlike 98% of the owners in the league.

12. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I said any owner in a biggish market could do this, not would do this. Lacob, as I noted, is not one of the wealthier NBA owners. He doesn't have hundreds of billions of dollars where none of this matters--he can't finance the team purely out of his own pocket. He's done a good job turning his team into a brand and tapping into his market. There's no reason why other big market franchises couldn't do what he did, assuming they collected the same amount of expensive talent. Whether they'd choose to, or prioritize larger profits for themselves, is a different question.

13. RocketsDraftTV

I wanna believe you, then I look at the contracts that cheapskate tilman forced tate and kpj to sign. Tilman loves giving out those 4 yr vet contracts. Stephen curry was put in a situation where he owner would spend and do what it takes to win. The warriors spent the most money in history on their team last yr and will pay even more this yr. Most superstars like kg, harden, etc we’re not that fortunate

14. i3artow i3aller

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If that were the case, Curry wouldn't have needed to sign a discounted contract due to injury concerns.

What was GSW's payroll ranked when they won their first title with Curry?

I think most owners would be willing to spend if they truly believed their team could win a title.

16. i3artow i3aller

17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That man ain't right.

18. RocketsDraftTV

3-6, no wins on the road and just lost to the worst team in the league hahaha

oh and yea i guess 140 million dont get you what it used too huh

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Draymond's punch has forever destroyed Poole's psyche.

RocketsDraftTV and apollo33 like this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Green gonna get a 140 MM contract then

Easy likes this.