1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun simply not good enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 11, 2022.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Everyone on this team shows promise but there are no sure things. It's all a guessing game but based on the information we have, he's our best playmaker and post presence

aaquaa and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I did see a sequence in the last preseason game where Sengun had sealed off his man and was ready for the entry pass. Josh Christopher saw it and, when he had no path to go to the basket, which is always his preference, instead of passing to Sengun, he threw a ridiculously bad pass into traffic that was of course intercepted. It appeared very deliberate how he ignored Sengun. With KPJ, I am not sure how much of it is intentional or just lack of ability. But with JC, it seems rather intentional.

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Fantasy! Strong word. Let's see what will happen during the season. Emulation to GRR Martin or evaluation of pool talent.Hope you are right, mine is blowing up out of proportion.

4. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Hope JC realized how much he regressed being selfish. Otherwise he has no future.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Which one sounds more realistic? KPJ freezing Sengun out bc of "some" animosity vs KPJ lacking the skills or court vision to pass the ball to Sengun

Don't forget KPJ is still trying to learn how to b a pg and distribute the ball

6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Both I guess.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's animosity, he just wants to only play free-wheeling guard ball with Jalen. And he wants to get assists. He doesn't want to let Alpi be the creator. I hope they can figure it out where everyone gets touches and gets involved.

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Great, but he's not a PG level playmaker, and post play whilst great, seems redundant in our current play style. Nothing I said was incorrect in any way, shape or form, so what's your issue exactly?

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't mind Sengun playing with the bench players and it might actually be something that works out really well for everyone. If he does well in that role it could actually be a way for him to prove himself, kind of like playing in the g league, and move into a starting role. It's clear that he needs the ball to be effective so it might actually be the best way to get him the most on ball reps. We'll learn a lot about the team this year, this could be a good way to get the best look at Sengun and decide what to do with him moving forward.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. PeppermintCandy

Even if he does end up coming off the bench, I still hope he gets a lot of minutes with the starters.

I know it was against the lowly Spurs, but the Rockets starting lineup looked better in that first preseason game, with Smith at the 4. Lots of passing and sharing of the ball, and Sengun was definitely more engaged. (He even said something about this after the game.)

It's too bad Smith wasn't available for the rest of the preseason, and it'll probably take a bunch of games for him to get back up to speed. But I'm interested to see if the starters can get back to that team mindset shown in that first preseason game.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

They did pass the ball to Sengun in the post a couple of times later and Sengun fumbled every one of them against Bitadze. He couldn’t move Bitadze. He must’ve done poorly in practices and teammates simply don’t have confidence in his post ups.

12. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

How can we hav redundancies with only one true post player? I'm missing the sarcasm apparently. My bad

aaquaa likes this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

Bc Sengun simply not good enough

ashleyem likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Because we're playing an uptempo pace game, and feeding the post slows everything to a crawl and only serves Sengun, not the team. Have you watched us play this preseason? No sarcasm, but you definitely struggle with the reading comprehension for sure.

15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

The problem is not Alpi but poor talent pool management/tanking attitude.Personally Alpi might be better as a 6th man, even can be candidate for that specific award but it will mean another wasted year for Rockets. Are we ready for suffering another year, for another silly season?

At the end Alpi is going to be lured by a bigger market team because he is not only a good player, he is also a showtime player. Wonderful asset. But what will happen to Rockets? Another Sacramento, another Charlotte, another New Orleans, a mediocre team at best.Looking for the next draft every year?

Proverb: "Waste not, want not". Rockets likely is going to waste Alpi's talent Tragic.

aaquaa likes this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

If Sengun really does come off the bench, it would be clear to me the FO is much lower on him than most of us. I always thought Lucas was a crank and had something against him, but now with the "leading the bench unit" role while starting Fernando, it really does seem the coaching staff doesn't think very much of him.

aaquaa and CircaSurvive like this.
  17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

You are delusional. Off the top of my head I could not think of a team who would offer Sengun a starting job. He should be grateful for the opportunity here and try to fit in.

DreamR, maj21 and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Seriously, put down the crack pipe. We get it, you're living in a fantasy where Sengun is the next Olajuwon. Consistently coming here to drop passive aggressive hints that you'd rather Sengun play elsewhere's kinda tragic. Surely they have boards in Turkey for him you can go spend your time at, you know, considering he's such a "showtime player." I love Sengun, but get a ****ing grip. At the moment all he has is potential, a post game and the ability to pass. That is not a top tier player as things stand currently. If he was that great he wouldn't be looking crap compared to Bruno, and currently, in this team, he does.

19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

You have a head. Surprising.

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And there goes any remaining shred of credibility. Shouldn't you be off beating your meat to pics of Alpi by now?

jiggyfly and maj21 like this.