1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are NOT tanking this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 16, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is refreshing, let the young guys play and live with the results.

No more intentional tanking.....hallellujah!

DD

2. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Tanking is a cheating. You have to fight(honestly). That's sport. Tanking is a crime. It is against human values.

Lalos, Dobbizzle, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing is different.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, that quote is from Rafael Stone, not Stephen Silas.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya. The goal is player development. That means throwing the young guns out there. If they win, they win.

That's what tanking always has been. Playing young guys ready or not and seeing where they are at and developing them.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really? I respectfully disagree - when you are actively sitting players out like John Wall all year, and you sit Ego, Wood, and Schroeder to lose games - that is tanking.

If we do that again this year, that will be tanking, I am reading this as, we aren't going to do that again.

DD

aaquaa, txtodd, SuperKev and 3 others like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He also says losing games has never been the goal, not sure I TOTALLY buy that ;)

snowconeman22 and ak99999 like this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We'll lose a lot of games again this year, that's not tanking it's just the reality of young players cutting their teeth.

saleem, Corrosion and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They want to develop their young guys, the future of this team. Some call it "tanking" and we call it development. Is not as is if we were fielding a team of Trevelin Queen's letting them do whatever. We actually were playing our young nucleus to continue for future development.

Now OKC, those guys were definitely tanking. That's actual tanking. They were throwing God knows who into those line ups.

#9 ElPigto, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    JW86 and Y2JT like this.
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If you can name one time last year the Rockets didn't play their best young players, I would love to hear it.

It's not that their goal is to LOSE. It's that their primary (#1) goal is not winning. It's to develop players. If the young guys develop and win, oh well. They're not going to sit Jalen Green 20 games in because he's developed too fast. Now, 60-70 games in on a lost season, that could be different.

If John Wall was still here, he would not be playing. You're referencing sitting Ego, Wood and Schroeder the final SEVEN games of the season. Hell yes the Rockets will do the same this year if it's the same situation.

I'm telling you for a fact -- nothing is different. Next year it will be.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

"It is not our goal to lose games and never has been."

That's directly from the link you shared. So yeah, expect more of the same. It was never our goal to lose games; we lost because we sucked. Same will happen this year.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Well, here is to, not being in a position to take advantage of that then....and winning more than expected.

;)

DD

Dobbizzle and saleem like this.
  13. fchowd0311

I don't like the word "sucked" here. It implies we are losing because we are just talentless losers like the Texans. We will lose because our average rotation age outside of EG and Tate is like 20.

Believe It! and saleem like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I can agree to that, but the point still stands. We sucked because of our youth. Your way sounds nicer, but in either case we lost games because we sucked more than our opponent.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. maj21

maj21 Member

I understand prioritizing the young players, but it shouldn’t be every one of them, some need to earn playing time. Playing Nix and Josh is gonna cost us many games. Sengun’s defense is gonna hurt us too, but playing him is understandable at this point.

16. conquistador#11

That's how I feel. "Let the guys dictate it." which means if we can get to the play in, Awesome. If we suck, oh well, we get the number 1 pick with some luck?
    This is how everyone should approach it.
    Also, if there are 2 weeks left in the season and nagging injuries are happening, why risk long term injury to our core guys? That's not tanking. That's player's health dictating. We're not going to pull a JVG and win a meaningless game on April 13th if our record is terrible. I have confidence in that.

Ok enough Stonesplainin'.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We didn't intentionally tanked. Sitting John wall out was for the development of kpj as a point guard, he needs all the mins can get.

We just sucked especially with the lack of defensive effort from cwood.

Player development was pretty solid for our rookies

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tanking is not putting your best players on the court. It's what San Antonio did with a healthy David Robinson, and it's what the Rockets did (and are essentially still doing) with John Wall. Wall is a better player than anyone that will play PG for the Rockets this year. Sure, they aren't trying to lose individual games, but you aren't trying to win when you release half of your team's salary.

I agree with everything th4e Rockets have done (aside from hanging onto Gordon), but I don't think tanking and rebuilding are necessarily the same thing.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Our natural progression might be enough to win the #1 pick because dead last never wins the lottery, it's usually the 2nd-4th worst that does and we will still suck enough for that to happen.

Ancient Moabite and Corrosion like this.
  20. fchowd0311

Well I wouldn't be surprised if KPJ is a better player than Wall from here on out. He missed A LOT of time and is old now. He relied a lot on his elite speed which isn't elite anymore.

conquistador#11 likes this.