1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He'd come back to baseball instantly if offered to lead an organization, but I can't see that being the Astros with Jim Crane. Hard for either party to want to make that work.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Same type of fit when Yanks signed Beltran to broadcasting and Red Sox getting Cora back?

msn likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Not from what I’ve heard. But what someone says in private and what they do when an actual offer is on the table may not be the same thing.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Really? How do you feel about using “stick” on your fingers that you learned with the Astros? If it bothers you so much Joe, why do you still do it? Did you feel guilty signing that 100 million dollar deal they you earned using “stick” on your finger tips?

5. raining threes

Let's see, Luhnow drafted, trade for or signed international fa's to make the best starting pitching staff in MLB.

He signed Yuli, inherited Altive but signed him to a long term contract. Drafted Pena and Bregs. Traded for Maldy, Presley and signed Brantley in FA.

Drafted Tucker and Chaz. Traded for Diaz, most of all he fleeced the Dodgers in a trade for Alverez.

All Click had to do was to keep Luhnows work together as best he could. He's done a good job of this, and rebuild the bullpen, which he's done a great job of doing.

But almost anybody could've done what Click done. Even some guys on this MB could have done what Click's done.

Thanks Jeff Luhnow.

#365 raining threes, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Wulaw Horn and Salvy like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Lunhow was so good that even years later the team is basically running off of his moves. Click traded for Mancini and has failed miserably to make the team better. Imagine how good the Astros would be with Lunhow and Hinch. Years later and The Astros are still the best team in The American League thanks to Lunhow...

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

I don't get why some on this MB don't seem to like Luhnow and discount his work. He's a genius level guy

8. hk_prometheus

hk_prometheus Member

The only thing the Astros really stole was the women from all of those important people in LA when they kicked them to the curb. The LA people got mad and used all of their power to make an example out of the Astros. I think Mickey Rourke walked in while Springer was banging his wife and his maid at the same time.

Nook likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Half of the players that you give Luhnow credit for were signed or developed by Click.

Brantley and Verlander were free agents that were actively talking to all clubs and had other offers but Click signed them.

Maldy, Gurriel, and McCullers would have been free agents after 2021 if Click didn't sign them to extensions.

Pressly would be a free agent next month if Click didn't sign him to an extension ( OK Luhnow's for a few more weeks)

Chas, Meyers, and Hensley were organizational depth with virtually no chance of making the majors until well after Click took over the reins and direction of the organization. I doubt any if them become Astros under Luhnow.

You could say the same thing about Pena and Brown. Neither were highly rated prospects expected to be more than AAAA type players before Click but they were young enough that it could have still happened.

Castro, Stanek, and Neris were free agents brought in by Click.

Montero, Maton, Christian Vazquez, Dubon, and Mancini were acquired in trades by Click.

There are currently 26 active players and 3 injured players who would be active if healthy.

Click is responsible for 16 of those. Plus a case can be made for Pena and Brown. Plus Pressly will be here next year because of Click.

By my count that's 16 for Click, 11 for Luhnow and 2 are split 50/50.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’d welcome him back in a heartbeat

panamamyers and desihooper like this.
  11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

This is a flawed analysis in my opinion. It's like if I tried to take credit for creating the Tesla because I am the one that keeps it charged each day.
    We may as well give Click credit for everyone. He hasn't actively traded them away so we have to give him credit for that. Let's just assign credit for the whole roster to him.

Wulaw Horn, the shark and havoc1 like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Luhnow wasn't perfect, but like most entrepreneurs, he was right about 65% of the time vs corporate decisions which are right about 45% of the time. It is the reason most businesses BUY successful innovation rather than developing their own.

But Luhnow did NOT build the brand by making Free Agent Splashes. JV (twice) was the exception and that was to retain a player. Most FA pickups were below the fold pickups. But he was innovative in making TRADES and with signing international players when he saw an underdeveloped market (ie older players).

#372 Marshall Bryant, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    raining threes likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'd say it's more like the Mechanic that made the designer's drawings operational.

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Nah.
    The machine was a fully operational juggernaut. We are just charging it up and changing tires every 35,000 miles now.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. lnchan

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

This is SO off!!

Brantley
    JV
    Maldy
    Yuli
    LMJ
    Pressly
    Chas
    Meyers
    Hensley
    Pena
    Brown

All should be credited to Luhnow as well as Yordan, Tuck, Diaz, Javier, Framber, Garcia, Urquidy and Abreu.

Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. lnchan

Um guys...

At 55, he says he may return to baseball one day, “but right now I’m pretty busy.” He says he has received “more than one” request to run an MLB team (he declines to be more specific) but turned them down.
    Also:
    DH Carlos Beltrán—the only player named in the commissioner’s report—now broadcasts games for the Yankees, one of the teams most incensed by the whole thing.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/13/jeff-luhnow-soccer-astros-daily-cover

Nook and raining threes like this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But that's it, isn't it?

We have a difference of opinion.

There are several players that overlap both GMs. A case can be made for either of them.

And I think your analogy is incorrect in my opinion.

Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, and all the young starting pitchers are the Tesla that Click only has to keep charged. I gave Luhnow credit for them.

For Brantley and Verlander, it's more like someone owning that Tesla and selling it. Then his/her son buys it back and brings it home to the house. Who is responsible for acquiring it?

For Maldy, Gurriel, and McCuller's the Tesla was repossessed and the son paid the bank to get it back.

For Pressly, the Tesla was for sale because they could not afford the payment and the son stepped in and took over the payments so it didn't need to be sold.

For McCormick, Meyers, and Hensley it's more like that Tesla sat broken down in the garage for years. Then the son fixes it so it can he driven.

In every case, the son ( Click) started with the family Tesla and did significantly more than just keep it charged.

I feel that Click entered in to a no win situation.

Luhnow built this team into a dynasty and a force.

Click will never get credit for winning until he does it with his own guys but if he gets rid of Luhnow's guys he will be hated and run out of town ( not to mention not win as much)

But that does not mean he shouldn't get that credit.

#378 IdStrosfan, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are not many GMs that would trusted player development in Click's situation.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Give it rest because what you're saying makes NO sense.

Brantley and JV and Yuli WANTED to be here. Luhnow's responsible for 90% of this team. LMJ wanted to stay in HTown as well so Click extending him doesn't mean that he gets the credit that you're giving him. I can go on and on but nothing I say is going to change your mind. Fine. None of this means that Click has sucked at his job but GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT'S DUE......to Luhnow!!

Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.