1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-17] Tari Eason, F, LSU

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Tari Eason?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

99.1%
  2. NO

0.9%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Where is all this Tari Eason can’t shoot stuff coming from. He’s 1-2 with the Rockets from 3 and 36% from 3 last year at LSU. Before we start relegating him to RGV to work on his 3, maybe we should see if it really is a problem at the NBA level. There have been plenty of unconventional shooters that shot for good percentages in the NBA. Also the coaches we have at the Rockets level can work on his 3 pointer as well as coaches at the RGV level. The only reason to send him to RGV is if Silas refuses to play him like Sengun most of last year or if he stinks it up when given minutes. His defensive effort and rim running alone should get him 20 mins a game.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tari as of this very moment is a better 3 point shooter than Simmons and Westbrick. He shot okay from college last year and he's not really afraid of taking open shots.

Simmons literally takes zero 3's, not sure where the comparison is.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He gives me Lamar Odom vibes. Tari has more offense firepower than you think.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tari should be starting right now

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

His form does not matter if he can continue to shoot 36% from 3, he will have to be accounted for and nothing that he has done so far makes me think he can't shoot at a respectable clip.

joshuaao, charlieaustin and roslolian like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not that he can't shoot, the knock on him is he has low BBall IQ reportedly that's why he came from the bench even if he was clearly their team's best player. At least that's what the reports are and why he fell to 17.

Dude shot 35% from 3 and 80% FT in college. Anybody who thinks he can't shoot is just wrong cuz as lots of people will tell you having high FT% is a good indicator of shooting touch.

topfive, Drift Monkey and jiggyfly like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean, I agree that contracts make a difference but my point is that it's increasingly harder for bad shooters to stay on the court and not make negative impacts to their teammates. I'm not hating on Eason at all, but acknowledging that even in the case of a player who does everything really really well except is a bad shooter, it makes even that player a contextual play. Ben Simmons is an extreme example of that but I think it's the most important ceiling to his game right now. It's the same thing for Sengun - for all of his offensive genius, he has to be a good enough defender or he will be a net negative on his team unless he is paired with an elite level rim protector/rebounder to make up for some of his inadequacies...you could say the same about Garuba who I think many want to look at the handful of things he does really exceptionally well, but his value is based on the aggregate and he does a lot of things really poorly.

I hope Eason's shooting improves, I just think his release makes it difficult for him to make defenses pay consistently and that will be a barrier for him getting more than contextual minutes - even more so in the NBA than in college where defenders are longer/quicker and space to get shots off is much smaller. Jalen Green rebuilt his shot form last year and had a real stinker stretch of games where he shot abysmally as a result and he is very much a scorer at heart so I think Eason's attempt to do similar probably will be similarly brutal if not a longer stretch of games. I don't think this is a bad thing necessarily - let's do it now because we already know this will be his ceiling as a pro and he is young enough we should be looking at his long term potential, but I think the Eason for ROY camp needs to pump the brakes and realize a player is only as good as the weakest part of their game and Eason walks into his rookie season with some critical work to do. No shade.

....and also, the wise guy comment wasn't meant to be a badge of honor. It comes off obnoxious which if you are okay with is great for you, but next time I'll just hide your comments because no one has time for obnoxious posters.

Drift Monkey and eliefor3 like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I was just having alittle fun with it, sorry if that offended. I'll have to rebuild my humor like Eason does his shot :)

glimmertwins likes this.
  9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Holy titty

Edit wrong thread, he looks good

Drift Monkey likes this.
  11. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is a star in the making.

AroundTheWorld and Drift Monkey like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It’s just Summer League…”
    “It’s just preseason…”

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I just voted "No" in the poll above

I don't like it.

I don't care.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tari looks good , but Tate is the man .

if anything sengun might eventually get minutes reduced .

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

TARI GOAT

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. RocketsDraftTV

hopefully he doesnt sign with klutch sports

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I wonder what excuse the media was looking for not to admit that the Rockets had the best draft this year... by miles!

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Scoring efficiency?!?!?

Drift Monkey likes this.