1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Do the opposite, take advantage of those teams that are tanking, nab players, take on contracts with FRPs.....take advantage.

The chances of us getting Wemby are very very low - why not do the smart thing and take advantage of those that are hoping to strike gold with Wemby or silver with Henderson?

I believe if we finish like 7th worst we still have a shot, so why not see if we can get future picks from those that need to jettison contracts/players? And when those teams don't get Wemby their picks will be super valuable going forward.

What would you do?

DD

#1 DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    ipaman likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We will be bad no matter what we do.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They should do what Clutchfans wants them to do.

4. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I say we roll the ball out there with what we have and see how the season goes. If we're better than expected and look like we're continuing to get better, try to take advantage of teams to get more assets if possible, but more importantly, start looking to win.

OTOH, if it looks like we're going to be bottom 5 at the end of the day, tank hard and hope for the best.

The spread between the chance the worst team and the #5 team gets the top pick is lower than its ever been, and the opportunity to pick Wemby (or Scoot) puts the foundation in place for a dynasty. But if the team shows they're good, you start building towards winning and making moves with winning in mind.

AXG, TheJet, htownborn34 and 6 others like this.
  5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. DaDakota

I know you are a roll the dice for Wemby and Scoot guy - I can respect that.

But I also think there is a great opportunity to take advantage of lots of teams looking to race to the bottom.

DD

7. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Who do you want to take though? Shai is the only one I can think of. SAS, Ind, and Utah are already talent wastelands. We probably finish 5th-7th worst anyway.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Last year to tank and Silas is the perfect tank commander.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Do people really view a 32-50 season all that differently from a 22-60 season? If you thought we had a possible path to contending for a championship this season, then i could understand not trying for wemby/scoot. I just see zero benefit to not tanking and a massive potential benefit to tanking.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a topic to talk about, is it not?

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ideal: Talk a good game about winning the season, but give a lot of time to rookies for chemistry and development by benching vets and contract fillers.

Realistic: Coach talks a good game about winning the season, but means it by benching rookies for poor play and overplaying vets and contract filler.

By end of this year, you'll have an idea how strong the team will be at their peak and at their tankiest. If we're middle of the pack, might as well try harder.

If we're bottom ten, then act like we're bottom ten. Develop team, and highlight contract bait by trading deadline.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I’m not a fan of tanking. Bad juju. However, if the team isn’t good yet - it’s not tanking - it’s just sucking.

what I don’t ever want to see again is what happened under Van Gundy. If it comes down to losing one game or getting a moral victory - sit your morals and grab the L.

burlesk, Yung-T, KelvinCato13 and 4 others like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Two years later and Clutchfans still can’t grasp the concept that we are just organically a terrible team with mostly 1-2nd year players.

You can’t murder a dead person, you can’t tank with a terrible team

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

what vets are you concerned about lifting us to victories? Eric Gordon?

16. Xopher

Xopher Member

Let the kids play. Wait for Durant to have his 50 game injury and Simmons not to play. Swap with the Nets.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. DaDakota

I am not saying we are going to go all out to win, or try for a championship, but what I am saying is that instead of blatantly TANKING like we have been doing these last 2 years, let the kids TRY to win, and let the chips fall where they may, say we finish 7th worst, that still gives us a chance....

And in the meantime try to take on some contracts, gain some additional picks from teams that ALSO probably won't get Wemby or Scoot, and their picks will be super good because they will be in the bottom of a rebuild.

DD

18. dmoneybangbang

It’s all about one’s perspective.

I personally believe we are closer to rock bottom than actually competing for the play-in. However I don’t think we can be pencilled in as a bottom 3 team.

I definitely see this forum being upset when we are 2/3s through the season and we are hanging around 5-8 from the bottom.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

this is a no brainer, this is our last year to tank and its worth a roll for the top 2. what if the thunder get one of those two, we are in a sense competing for a championship years away by tanking. face it we aint contending anytime soon as long as these warriors, lebron, phily, boston, etc are competing. we are years away. we need another pillar in the foundation.

20. DaDakota

So, would you make SURE we finish bottom 3 by blantantly tanking or, would you let the kids try to win.....win a few more games this year, say 27-30, and finish 6-8th from the bottom just by being young etc.?

DD