1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. dmoneybangbang

I disagree. KPJ is/was never projected to be better than Green or expected to be.

Despite 2 years on Green, neither would be starting for a playoff team at this point. Neither of them are actually really good at this point.

jcmoon and Corrosion like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you know that Washington was projected to be a lottery pick until he got injured? Some people saw him as the second best PG after Ivey.

I was just pointing out the double standard. Last year, KPJ at point guard was a terrible option (to use your own wording). But you KPJ fans are still very hopeful that he will be a star. What makes you think the other guys won't?

Besides, the point we have been making is that the worst case scenario about KPJ is that he breaks out and some team offer him an overpaying contract and we lose him for nothing. But (1) we do not need to have a star at every position. (2) The NBA has plenty of combo guards that are similar to KPJ. (3) We already have a lot of young talents on hand to build the team. Losing one of them is not going to set back the the rebuilding by a whole lot.

34to11, jcmoon, flamingdts and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He currently is the better, more well rounded player... so it's not a hypothetical.

The same stupid "you could just go get another combo guard" response would apply equally to either player. The Rockets would be morons to let either get away. Losing either would set the team back quite a bit because they are both special players you can't just replace with anyone.

maj21 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Even if you think kpj is currently better because he will be a 4th year player and green a 2nd year guy, it’s extremely unlikely that in the long run kpj is better then green. If that’s the case, most likely it’s because green ended up being a bust and the rockets suck for the next several seasons. If green isn’t better then kpj this coming season it would be extremely concerning and if he’s not better in 2 years, he’s likely gonna be a bust.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Scoot Henderson is no combo guard.

i3artow i3aller and King1 like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's currently better because he's got more well rounded skills, you can think that's ONLY because he's 2 years older, but if Jalen Green develops his passing and defense that much in the next 2 years, it'll be amazing.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

you would be happy if in TWO years, jalen is as good as KPJ is NOW?

theDude and 34to11 like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would be happy if Jalen develops his defense and passing to where KPJ's is now.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Do you think it’s realistic that kpj ever makes an allstar team? Would you give that 1% odds? 5%? More?

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@KingCheetah

[ August 17, 2022.....post #986 ]

12. dmoneybangbang

But that's not the point or what's being discussed. Green is viewed as a cornerstone piece by the organization as of 10/4/22 and KPJ isn't.

The only place on the internet where you hear about KPJ being special in the same league as Green is in this very thread and that's despite three seasons of work by KPJ. It's not like KPJ has been some sort of secret, it's just that he isn't very special.

34to11 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's incredibly likely. KPJ and Jalen Green easily could become the best guard duo in the league.

It's more likely he makes multiple all star teams than none.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that you don't see it, that's okay, you'll probably come around eventually. Some just take longer than others.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, but I would take KPJ over him as he is further along, and is much taller...

DD

maj21 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ was projected to be early lottery until his issues in college...IIRC.

DD

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If he makes one allstar team i would look at that as a 95th percentile outcome. If he makes multiple you’re getting into the 99%+, just super unlikely

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

2 inches is not much taller. And yeah he is further along. He should be. He's 4 years older. I will bet anything that Scoot is way better at 22 then KPJ currently is. And that's saying a lot. Because I think KPJ is going to be much improved this yr. Scoot is just on a different level FOR AN 18 YR OLD. For Real.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

Further along in what capacity? Solely 3pt%? Pretty sure 18 yr old Scoot would give 22 yr old KPJ the business.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s what is funny to me.. if KPJ wasn’t a projected lottery pick, then why was he invited to the draft? He literally walked on stage to shake Silver’s hand when he got picked lol