1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Bruno Fernando to camp deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jul 26, 2022.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I hear what you are saying. Sengun has no room to be a bit part role player. He needs to be a primary focus, so he is either a good player or unplayable.

I think we give the young dude (Sengun) a good look this season before making an assessment.

D-rock and fryjol7 like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

burlesk and Drift Monkey like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bruno needs to chill!! LOLLL buddy just 'runt' over Jabari like 'move b**** get out the way' :D:D:D

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Gotta love this site…..bunch of haters on Bruno EXCEPT for me. Once again, I proved to be right and get abused for my defense of Bruno multiple times in the past. Read some of my pro Bruno posts and laugh at all the haters now. I also was correct on my hatred for small ball, but much credit to the Rockets for finally getting sime size.

ashleyem likes this.
  6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

…..and much credit and appreciation to the Rockets organization for making the bold move of signing Bruno to a 4 year deal!!!! This team is well run.

ashleyem likes this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Bari was laughing at that moment during his post game interview

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bruno does well what Sengun does not and vice versa.

But Wembanyana should still be FO's target.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Serious question Ashley, why are you even a Rockets fan?

You like NONE of their best players.

bluffkin and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

What about Tate?

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Oh? Rookie deal? Only his 2nd season? Something like that. Cutting development players on a rebuilding team after giving them zero time or space to develop is a front office problem, not a Garuba problem. Good front offices don't create problems out of thin air.

No potential except all that crazy defense he keeps playing. Makes me wonder if I've been misunderstanding the word 'potential' all these years.

Mr Woods and D-rock like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You have literally never been right

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What crazy defense? He has barely played but seems pretty much just "OK" at best so far therre.

Obviously not a rim protector. Not a wing defender for quicker players.

What exactly does he do that impresses you so much?

roslolian and Pistol Pete like this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

2 blocks in 14 minutes, I wish everyone wasn't protecting the rim like that. Not credited with a steal but he had at least 2 strips, both against drives. His defense is impressive. He just turned 20, he has lightning fast hands and also pulled in 7 boards. Bruno is putting in work too, with 2 blocks. What Bruno has is a passable offense. He's willing to roll and hits free throws. Garuba has to figure out something on offense where he actually has to be guarded. I don't care if it's corner 3s or rolling but that seems like the basic options. That and I guess figure out how to stay healthy.

I'm taking Sengun-Fernando-Garuba into the season at 5. Idk how they can do it but getting anything for Favors/Boban/Mathews would be great.

D-rock likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

The "problem" is there isnt space for him. He is ok to keep for now but Garuba has got to be on the chopping block if we can get some other talent thats just better than him. What do you mean zero time to develop lmao, dude has been training with the team over a year now. The play on the court reflects the hard work and development you have off it, you think Jabari fixed his shot during the game? Or did he spend hours in the gym after SL?

Potential means chance to become a star. If you think Garuba has potential just cuz he can play defense then yes you've been misunderstanding the word all these years. Who among Sengun, Jabari and Tari you think Garuba can beat once he reaches his "potential"? If he cant start over any of these guys he is a career backup at best and has limited to no potential. Bruno Fernando has more potential than him at this point.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

In 4 yrs Garuba can be as good as Bruno Fernando is right now, thats his potential.

DaDakota and SamFisher like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

But Fernando is good? I don't think this was the burn you intended. Everyone sure seems to think Fernando is great.

But if Garuba is Fernando he bad. Bad bad.

But Fernando good.

Help

D-rock likes this.
  18. SamFisher

Ok so you're basically basing it on stats in a few minutes of one preseason game against a moribund Spurs outfit. Great to get 2 blocks, but... Come on that makes him a shot blocker?

You're right to note Bruno, he racked up 8 blocks in 90 minutes of play with the Rockets last season (basically twice Garubas rate per 36 minute). This makes sense as he's a pretty good and quick jumper. Garubas rate was much lower, basically the same as Sengun.

More important than these tiny sample sizes though is that Garuba is undersized and doesn't seem to jump very fast or very high. This seems to cast doubt on him ever being much of a true rim protector IMO. And he hasn't appeared to be much of a switch defender

If you're going to be an offensive zero in the NBA you should be elite at one or both of those things and i haven't really seen much potential for either.

19. SamFisher

I don't think Garuba is trash i just think right now he projects to fringe NBA player who is more or less replaceable by any similar min salary player, like Bruno.

This is not at all unusual for late 1st round draft picks. Who knows maybe he blooms later. Not likely but possible.

Seems more likely though he'd go back to Europe if he's basically just a fringe player in the NBA, he might make less money but at least he'll play

roslolian likes this.
  20. j@amc

j@amc Member

The two unreasonable things to ask Garuba to do are be a three-point shooter and be a lob threat above the rim. If that’s the sum of our coach’s imagination, include Garuda in your Gordon trade today.

Finding his space on offense is tricky. He shown a knack for moving the ball on a pick and pop 10-12 feet from the basket. He can draw defenders and make a pass to the open guy. He can feed the post and cut to the basket. He can play off a set big man and set screens.

fattz likes this.